Ray's Chilaquiles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
20210814_100709.jpg

I posted some time ago my wife was getting bored with the repetitive flavors I migrate toward. Time to mix it up and add my own twist.

I recently was inspired by a YouTube video for tamales. I used the inspiration to come up with two chili sauces, one red, one green, for braised chicken thighs. I was left with a lot of leftover sauce. Time for chilaquiles!

My own twist is adding the raisins. It adds a hint of a sweet element that is very non-traditional, but man it grows on 'ya.

Corn tortilla chips, scrambled or fried eggs, green or red sauce, sour cream, and cilatro. Cheese optional.

Anyway, here are the sauce recipes.

Green Enchilada Sauce - Ray's

Ingredients

5-6 Freshly roasted, peeled, and seeded Anaheim Peppers, chopped
½ onion, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbs olive oil
1 30 oz can tomatillos, drained
⅔ cup golden raisins (essential for me, optional for others)
½ Tbs cumin
½ tsp Mexican oregano
1 1/2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken paste
1 cup boiling water.
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems.
1 or 2 hot peppers - jalapeños or habaneros, chopped, seeded (optional)

Directions
Preheat pan and oil over med-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and hot peppers (if using). Sauté until the onion just starts to get tender, then add the roasted chopped peppers, tomatillos, raisins, hot peppers, and seasonings. Break the tomatillos open. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and simmer on low uncovered for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and rest for 10 minutes. Then blend into a sauce. Cover and cool in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Red Enchilada Sauce - Ray's
Inspired by America's Test Kitchen chicken tamale YouTube video.

I added the raisins to the recipe. Great balance. This sauce is FANTASTIC! The recipe below makes about 5-6 cups of sauce.

Ingredients
3-4 cups dried, seeded Guajillo chilies, chopped
1 onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbs oil
1 Tbs cumin
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup raisins (regular and/or golden)
4 cups Better than Bouillon chicken broth
1 or 2 hot peppers - jalapeños or habaneros

Directions
Toast chopped, dried chilies over medium heat just until fragrant, about 3-6 minutes. Don't burn them. Set aside in a bowl.

Add 3 Tbs oil to pan. Add the chopped onion and hot peppers (if using). Saute over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, spices, raisins, and dried/toasted chilies. Stir to mix. Add the broth. Bring to a simmer, add cracked cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool uncovered for another 10 minutes. Spoon into blender and blend until smooth.

Use to braise chicken, pork, or beef. Serve over rice. Use with ground beef, pork, or poultry for tacos.

Last edited:
Looks really good! Aw heck... I didn't want that to do list to get any smaller anyways! :emoji_blush: Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

Reactions: noboundaries
Man, do those look good! The addition of raisins sounds tasty to me.
Thanks, all. And they are, Bill.

I love chilaquiles, but often feel something's missing when I order it at a restaurant. The idea of raisins kinda jumped in my head when I was making the red sauce. Wow! I LOVED it. Used half regular/half golden. Used all golden with the green sauce.

If your brain's taster is hardwired to the sharp, acidic type of sauce, it may not work for you. BUT, if looking for a unusual flavor addition to the savory, saucy goodness, give it a try. I put it in the same surprise factor as black pepper in coffee.

Reactions: motocrash
Oh boy.... this one's got me coveting in a bad way Ray! Chilequilles is tied with biscuits and gravy for me for top slot... the raisins may just put one over the edge for me!
LOVE!

Oh boy.... this one's got me coveting in a bad way Ray! Chilequilles is tied with biscuits and gravy for me for top slot... the raisins may just put one over the edge for me!
LOVE!

I hear ya, Erik! I made the red sauce last week. After finishing the chicken, and making the chilaquiles, there wasn't enough left for another meal. Out came the spoon! I've never done that with other red enchilada sauces I've made.

I used to get shredded pork empanadas and pupusas from a Latino bakery/cafe here in town (closed now :emoji_disappointed:) that had both in them. They were delicious.
They also had the only proper Cubano to be found in the area, I miss that place dearly....
I've never heard of anyone putting raisins in anything but mole. Glad to know folks do.

It's sad when favorite places close. We've tried to order from our favorites the last 18 months to keep them open. Not always successful.

Man, I used to love having sausage, eggs, and chilaquiles for breakfast when we'd go to Ixtapa every year, yours looks great Ray! I'll most likely never board a plane again, worse than a cruise ship. RAY

Thanks, guys. Just finished off the last batch of chilaquiles. If anyone make's it with either the red or green sauce, I'll bet you can't resist licking the plate. "I fought the plate, and the plate won."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky