Raspberry Jelly ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I found cases of raspberries, blueberries and Strawberries at the grocery, they practically were paying folks to haul 'em off! I just can't help myself when a deal shows up. I already put up cases of strawberry this year and not too big a fan of blueberry except in pancakes, muffins and Woodcutters crumble?

Anyway just put up 14 jars of raspberry, and 2 each 1/2 jars.

IMG_8929.JPG

I missed posting the last batch last week of 8 jars of caramel apple, 7 jars of apple and 9 jars of fresh pineapple.

IMG_8900.JPG

I didn't get any sausage in the freezer last winter but I sure am filling it up on jelly now.....LOL

Add to that a couple a cases of strawberry, & 6 or 8 apricot.

I only need now some red plum (my favorite), and peach.

Too hot to be making bread! But it wouldn't be forever and they make awesome meat glazes.

Nice job Kevin that is above my pay grade LOL
Richie

Richie, there are a lot of mornings a cup of coffee and a piece of toast and jelly is a great start. I guess I got it from my Pop, he always loved his eggs, bacon toast and jelly for breakfast. And he didn't want and store bought jellies! As a kid, I have picked truckloads of strawberries and blackberries, and sold some awfully cheap. LOL.

I use a coffee mug not a china cup.

That's a great looking canning project FH.

How about a shot of the storage shelf with all the jars? Nice colors.

Thank you.

Let me tell you what I learned. Jelly unlike unsweetened canned products ( or maybe due to the citric acid), benefits from being stored in the freezer. It degrades so quickly in the heat and sun. There are many canned items that the heat/sunlight does not effect as quickly. But you generally learn those as you go, or get a hurricane in August and lose electricity for a month or two and you'll decide what needs to go where. LOL you always get a bumper crop year of canning before a good hurricane shows up. makes ya cry to put up cases of quarts of tomatoes and the heat does ruin 'em almost immediately.

Richie, there are a lot of mornings a cup of coffee and a piece of toast and jelly is a great start. I guess I got it from my Pop

+1. Caveat being GOOD jelly. Once you have good stuff it's hard to go back to store bought. Dad makes a red currant jelly. When he nails it, incredible but still better that store bought when he's off. I'd like to help him perfect it and I am think he needs to get a little more technical when making it. Any jelly making tips? One tip I can share is to use a propane burner to process and can outside so the house stays cool and clean.

+1. Caveat being GOOD jelly. Once you have good stuff it's hard to go back to store bought. Dad makes a red currant jelly. When he nails it, incredible but still better that store bought when he's off. I'd like to help him perfect it and I am think he needs to get a little more technical when making it. Any jelly making tips? One tip I can share is to use a propane burner to process and can outside so the house stays cool and clean.

LOL.... ya know everytime you start getting too big headed about jelly it acts like a woman and proves ya wrong. I completely missed on pineapple this year , trying something different. I think that only old grandmas or young grandmas are the only ones that never miss when canning....LOL

Stand behind him and watch quietly and unintrussively. Write down what he does, and estimate quantities and write 'em down. Tell jokes, drink beer (or coffee), it should never be work, always fun. Or do like my sister. She shows up with fresh fruit, sugar, jars & pectin. I hate people in my kitchen, but she'll just sit at the table and tell me whats going on with her kids and grandkids. I find I feel a lot like my Mom, just listening. I make us jelly, she feels better and gets some jelly for her and her friends.

My biggest problem with making jelly is, even if ya can't see it it gets all over the floor! I try to plan my jelly making for the day before the housekeeper comes....LOL I am lazy and hate sweeping and moping! LOL If I have to do it, I can. But "have to" is when the taters is ready to be dug up from the floor!

Reactions: zwiller
Awesome!!!:)
I love Raspberries & Wineberries!!
About the only Jelly I use on my toast is Raspberry & Apricot.
Nice Job, Foamy!!
Like.

Bear

LOL.... ya know everytime you start getting too big headed about jelly it acts like a woman and proves ya wrong. I completely missed on pineapple this year , trying something different. I think that only old grandmas or young grandmas are the only ones that never miss when canning....LOL

LOL totally get this, was hoping you had a trick up your sleeve. Personally, that's one of the reasons I am holding off making my own. Just taught my 5yo the pleasures of jelly and maple syrup on waffles. It's the only way I will eat the frozen kind.

Awesome!!!:)
I love Raspberries & Wineberries!!
About the only Jelly I use on my toast is Raspberry & Apricot.
Nice Job, Foamy!!
Like.

Bear

Thank you Bear

I still had a few jars left from last year of apricot, it was Mom's favorite. They are getting hard to come by here. Peaches too. I blame the non-existent climate change. Its definitely more than a little hotter than it used to be around here. And of course that screws trying to grow anything.

You got me on the Wineberries, i don't guess I have ever had any and don't think I have even heard of them before.

Thank you Bear

I still had a few jars left from last year of apricot, it was Mom's favorite. They are getting hard to come by here. Peaches too. I blame the non-existent climate change. Its definitely more than a little hotter than it used to be around here. And of course that screws trying to grow anything.

You got me on the Wineberries, i don't guess I have ever had any and don't think I have even heard of them before.

It's in the Raspberry family.
They grow wild around here, like crazy!!!
They're Burgundy color when ripe, and more Tart than Raspberries.
Wineberries:
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/3248/wineberries

Bear

Here's a better shot of Wineberries.
The Darker they are, the Riper they are, but you gotta beat the Turkeys to them:
wineberry fruitDSC_0632.jpg

LOL totally get this, was hoping you had a trick up your sleeve. Personally, that's one of the reasons I am holding off making my own. Just taught my 5yo the pleasures of jelly and maple syrup on waffles. It's the only way I will eat the frozen kind.

My Pop was what he called a gentleman farmer, that means he worked all day then gardened weekends and evenings till dark every day. Gardened was his word, he always did 2 to 3 acres, LOL gardened, right! I believe that's how he controlled his stress and lived so long. About 25/30 years ago for father's day I gave him two terra-cotta pots of blackberry plants I had rooted for him. That way he could plant them in a convenient spot for picking, for him. Thinking he'd enjoy them on some easy to pick fence where he could just pick what he wanted without bending over or fighting snakes. The perfect gift for him.

He planted 'em along my chain-link fence around the barn, and they completely took over. When I realized he did did it I asked why my fence? LOL.... stupid question right? He said I was so nice about making it convenient for him, that he decided that if it was so easy, I could just bring him the jelly and cobblers and he'd miss that whole gathering and cooking thing completely. Thats why he was a big boss, he had more smarts and common sense than anyone I ever knew. I never knew a person to slip one over on him. Sure miss him.

Here's a better shot of Wineberries.
The Darker they are, the Riper they are, but you gotta beat the Turkeys to them:
View attachment 366556
It's in the Raspberry family.
They grow wild around here, like crazy!!!
They're Burgundy color when ripe, and more Tart than Raspberries.
Wineberries:
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/3248/wineberries

Bear

This was my first attempt at raspberries. Seeing more around here because Miss/Ala are now the major commercial berry producers. Or so I have been told. Small area needed, sell at a high price. Mom used to make a Chantilly cake with 'em. Beautiful cake, but was definitely made for adults to eat. Just too pretty for kids to truly appreciate.

But I ramble, I never put raspberries up before. In my infinate wisdom I did like I do most fruit and added a bit of lemon to the jelly. OMG! They didn't need it! LOL..... My mouth is all puckered up and drooling just thinking of them. All that sugar, all that sweet, and they still got a pucker factor! LOL

I did note though that the size or quantity of seeds is no where near a blackberry or dewberry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky