Fermented dilly beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I made these last year and folks went bonkers for them. They are such a pain to pack in the jar bit the results are tasty. Packed a gallon jar with beans in a 3.5% brine. Added 8 arbol peppers, 10 cloves of garlic , full head of dill and a homemade picking spice mix I use in the dills. Here is the start
PXL_20230807_200644761.MP-01~2.jpeg
Very tangy and ready to go at 7 days. Divvying up into the jars before adding the brine.
1000004865-01.jpeg
Brine added and distributed the garlic and peppers amongst the jars.
1000004868-01.jpeg
These will go fast between a few sales and mostly gifts. Thanks for looking!

I didn't grow any green beans this year.
I've only ever pickled and canned.
These are so good in a Bloody Mary or Cesar. (Sorry know you don't indulge.)
I need to try a fermented version. Do you think these can be canned after the ferment?

Reactions: JLeonard
I didn't grow any green beans this year.
I've only ever pickled and canned.
These are so good in a Bloody Mary or Cesar. (Sorry know you don't indulge.)
I need to try a fermented version. Do you think these can be canned after the ferment?
I'll bet they are good in a bloody Mary. Im not sure about canning them but as fermented food they should be good in the frig for a year or more as long as the brine covers the beans.

Holy cow Jeff. Those look and sound terrific. i did some a couple years ago and they came out really well but these must be off the charts. Finished up my first batch of fermented pickles over the weekend and they are amazing. Gonna see about finding some fresh green beans and get a batch of these going now that the fermenter is empty.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Holy cow Jeff. Those look and sound terrific. i did some a couple years ago and they came out really well but these must be off the charts. Finished up my first batch of fermented pickles over the weekend and they are amazing. Gonna see about finding some fresh green beans and get a batch of these going now that the fermenter is empty.

Robert
Man our local Mennonite market is so awesome for produce. Just grabbed a half bushel of green beans for $5, dozen cukes for $3 and a candy onion that looks like my head for $1.25

Jeff

Looks great. The garlic did ok for you?
I have the dang hardest time with garlic when I ferment. I get black and dark purple cloves and end up tossing it all.

Jeff

Looks great. The garlic did ok for you?
I have the dang hardest time with garlic when I ferment. I get black and dark purple cloves and end up tossing it all.
I got some with a blue tinge. Appears to be fine and is just an enzyme reaction.

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
Am I reading that right that these are done in a week? I thought it took much longer. LOVE dilly beans. FYI a splash of the brine kicks bloody marys WAY up.

On the garlic, I think you need to blanch it and that will eliminate that reaction. Something to do with sulfur IIRC.

Am I reading that right that these are done in a week? I thought it took much longer. LOVE dilly beans. FYI a splash of the brine kicks bloody marys WAY up.

On the garlic, I think you need to blanch it and that will eliminate that reaction. Something to do with sulfur IIRC.
These were very sour in a week to 10 days. They can go much longer and continue to slowly ferment in the frig. At 7-10 they are very dill pickleish and still very crunchy.

Reactions: zwiller
These were very sour in a week to 10 days. They can go much longer and continue to slowly ferment in the frig. At 7-10 they are very dill pickleish and still very crunchy.
THANKS. That's awesome. Not using a starter or anything right? Also meant to ask if you are processing the jars after the bulk ferment/stopping it?

THANKS. That's awesome. Not using a starter or anything right? Also meant to ask if you are processing the jars after the bulk ferment/stopping it?
No starter just good fresh picked beans. I do not process them after. They are good at least 1year in frig.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky