Quick question.. time and temp for boneless Venison roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbomx363

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Denham Springs, LA.
Been searching around and finding all sorts of different answers...

I have a boneless venison roast I'll be smoking for Turkey Day.. I'm trying to find out how many minutes/pound is generally accepted.

I figured I'd just see what a boneless rump was and got about 30minutes/pound. Figured venison would be similar, but found some say 35 minutes, 1hr, and some say 1 1/2hrs per pound. Deejays says 1-1 1/2 hr/pound and to 160*, seems high.

Going to bring it to about 140* IT at roughly 225-245*.

Not brining, just a simple rub and topped with regular sliced bacon. Figured I'd use a chunk of hickory and apple wood.

Last edited:
they cook pretty quick, watch your temps!

i did a couple of smaller roast, maybe 3 1/2 lb, one with bone .  i took to 150 as per the hunters request.  bacon on the top also, (actually thick sliced uncured pork belly so i didnt give the meat a bacon taste)

they took about 5 1/2 hrs. in bad weather. rain, and cold.

i snuck them off at 149F

very tasty and juicy.  even people who say they dont like deer loved it.  the deer was from around where i live in farm country so it was eating a mainly corn diet.

happy smoke! and cant wait for pics

Thanks for the reply bagbeard..so you have about 1 1/2hr/pound to 150.

Anyone else know approx. times? I don't want to have to start at 930pm for a 7# roast, then have it done at 1-2am, instead of 800am.. 1 1/2 x 7=10.5 hours. and the low side that some claim as being 35 mins/# is 30x7= 3 1/2hrs or so.

Big range for some reason.

Well.. it took about 1hr/pound for a boneless venison rump roast to 142*.  So whomever else may need the info, there ya go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky