Jed Came To Visit: Beef Tenderloin On His New Grill (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple weeks ago I posted a fabrication project I'd done for a forum member that was coming to visit. That thread can be seen here:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...oject-for-a-special-forum-member-pics.320912/

Well, he got here on Thursday and it was none other than our esteemed friend Jed ( bauchjw bauchjw ). I'd asked him what we wanted to cook for dinner and his first response was a Picanha roast after one he'd done not long ago that I sent him. I then realized that I had one more beef tenderloin roast in the freezer and offered that up as an option, which he readily accepted. Had to do some serious improvisation on the side dishes from what we discussed, but it all came together for a really nice meal.

A 4-cheese cream sauce for macaroni. This was supposed to be baked potatoes.
014.jpg

Cooking up some homemade bacon bits.
015.jpg

The roast defrosted. 1 pound 6 ounces of pure beef decadence.
016.jpg

Macaroni cooked. Add the cheesy cream sauce, bacon bits, and jalapenos.
017.jpg

All mixed up to make a big mess in the pan. I also made a chopped veggie salad but somehow managed to overlook taking a pic.
018.jpg

Jed is cooking the roast. Simple seasoning of kosher salt and black pepper.
019.jpg

Firing up his new grill for the inaugural run. We will only need a very small amount of the space this grill provides.
020.jpg

The roast ready to go on the grill.
021.jpg

Annnnnd...we're off!!
022.jpg

Jed chilling with a cold barley pop....a much deserved respite.
023.jpg

A few minutes and it's time to turn the roast.
024.jpg

All done and into the house to rest while I get the other offerings ready to serve. Looking nice and juicy already.
025.jpg

Let the slicing begin!! Bianca and Rebecca in the background. Oh...and the salad is in the bowl rear right.
026.jpg

It got away from by just a bit but still a beautiful looking bunch of meat.
027.jpg

Plated and out to the patio.
028.jpg

Sliced shot.
029.jpg

And of course the close up shot.
030.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, Jed is a pure class act. It was an honor and a pleasure to host a dinner for him, although a somewhat spartan plate. The roast was exquisite even though it went a couple degrees over. All things considered though, for his first time with this grill and first time ever using a grill of this design, he did a great job. I just wish the sides were up to par with that roast. I will say though that for shooting from the hip, the macaroni came out really well. The CPB tenderloins are about the finest beef we've have ever eaten. Jed noted that the Picanha he did a couple weeks ago what the best he'd ever had. Well, that changed Thursday and the Picanha is now the 2nd best he's ever had :emoji_wink: In closing, if you ever get the chance to hook up with him, I'd recommend taking advantage of the opportunity. What a great time we had and managed to solve pretty much all of the world's problems in one evening and it only took 18 beers and 2 liters of margaritas :emoji_laughing:

Gonna call this one a wrap. Thanks for hanging in there till the end assuming you made it. Hopefully things will calm down here shortly and I'll be able to spend more time n the forum. Right on the heels of finishing Jed's grill, I started a new smoker build and this one is REALLY involved. The end is in sight though.

Take care, have a great Sunday, and there's still; time to get those burger entries in for the Throwdown.

Robert

Robert, what a fine host you are and what a fine meal you prepared! That Santa Maria grill is simply fantastic and I'm sure that Jed will turn out some more fine cooks with it. Excellent from all angles, my friend!!

Reactions: bauchjw
Beautifully crafted grill, excellent beef, nice-looking plate, all things come to expect from Jed and you! Glad you two had a good visit and were able to fix the world of its woes. Please pass along your solutions to the powers that be. They can use the help!

Nice cook and sounds like some good times! That is a killer unit! Jed is going to enjoy it I’m sure!

To a great person and host tx smoker tx smoker Robert and bauchjw bauchjw Jed a owner of a new cooker, and pretty nice guy , just a nice story.

Well I bet it did not even get dark that night down your way with all the glowing good times from a couple of great well grounded people solving the worldly problems .

Meal + new Rig + couple great people. Perfect day in Texas

David

When the protein looks that darn good The sides are just that…sides. And I’m sure they complemented the meat perfectly. And from what I’ve seen Jed seems like a standup guy.
Hopefully when and if life ever settles down some i’d like to some traveling and meet up with some folks.

JIM

Great meal for two great guys!! Mest and grill look awesome and buddy that Mac and cheese looks like a top notch side to me. Good stuff.

Looks like a fantastic day all around. I know you'll enjoy that smoker Jed. Just make sure you let us enjoy it with ya.

point for sure
Chris

Thank you tx smoker tx smoker for being such an incredibly generous host and for your amazing craftsmanship. It’s been a long cross country trip from D.C. to Oceanside, but I finally made it. I could’ve made it earlier, but stopped to see my sister in Albequerque and for some fun at Lake Havasu to see London bridge. But, stopping to visit Robert was the highlight of the trip!

It was an honor to meet you and awesome to see the setup I’ve seen so many times in your incredible posts. I’ll be sure to put the grill to good use and share the posts!

Thank you again for the best beef I have ever had and a great night solving the worlds problems!

Crossing into AZ
D75435A5-EB18-48F7-9A1F-DFA0B5F0AE4F.jpeg

London bridge
A01699E3-093D-4C32-A649-4469C87D4A99.jpeg

My surfer Home in Oceanside, CA
EDCAAFB8-2965-4BE5-B2F8-F5E56FB06060.jpeg

Having a beer and taco downtown Oceanside.
E4167CC6-EE43-4A1E-AD16-10086965F921.jpeg

Birria Taco and beer to heal!
63DDFCD3-37C3-4D79-8BD1-949C21E16F22.jpeg

Thank you tx smoker tx smoker for being such an incredibly generous host and for your amazing craftsmanship. It’s been a long cross country trip from D.C. to Oceanside, but I finally made it. I could’ve made it earlier, but stopped to see my sister in Albequerque and for some fun at Lake Havasu to see London bridge. But, stopping to visit Robert was the highlight of the trip!

It was an honor to meet you and awesome to see the setup I’ve seen so many times in your incredible posts. I’ll be sure to put the grill to good use and share the posts!

Thank you again for the best beef I have ever had and a great night solving the worlds problems!

Crossing into AZ
View attachment 664347
London bridge
View attachment 664348
My surfer Home in Oceanside, CA
View attachment 664349
Having a beer and taco downtown Oceanside.
View attachment 664350
Birria Taco and beer to heal!
View attachment 664351
Awesome...did you trailer the smoker the whole way?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky