• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Question about grinder/stuffer

hopkinsb

Joined Dec 29, 2020
This grinds ok for us but I can't figure out how to stuff without using the cutter/grinder. So we grind the meat, then add in say cheese and jalapeños, we run it back through and the meat gets chopped up even more and the cheese/whatever ends up being tiny and not what were looking for. I reached out to the manufacturer and they just were no help.

If we run it without the blade it jams up the plate, if we run it without the plate it pushes out the auger

Thank you

Attachments

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Grinders make very poor sausage stuffers. And they are not designed for stuffing things like cheese. Best to get a dedicated sausage stuffer. A good 5# model can be had for around $80-100 if you watch the sales....

hopkinsb

Joined Dec 29, 2020
Grinders make very poor sausage stuffers. And they are not designed for stuffing things like cheese. Best to get a dedicated sausage stuffer. A good 5# model can be had for around $80-100 if you watch the sales....
Thats what I figured from my research

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
The upper right plate is referred to as a 'stuffing plate' since it has the least resistance.... but I recommend a dedicated stuffer too.
fu7oaJq.jpg

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I agree with indaswamp indaswamp Stuffing sausage with a grinder stinks. I got a stuffer and will never look back.

JC :emoji_cat:

SWFLsmkr1

Formerly 'SFLsmkr1'
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Whaaaa

I been doing it wrong?

:emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_sunglasses:

hopkinsb

Joined Dec 29, 2020
I take it stuffer don't rely on plates or blades and just push it strait through the tube?

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I take it stuffer don't rely on plates or blades and just push it strait through the tube?
Yes. They have a big piston with a seal that applies pressure to the meat paste and forces it through the stuffer horn.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 28, 2013
Whaaaa

I been doing it wrong?

:emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_sunglasses:
I don't think you're doing it wrong.
I've done it with my grinders and my stuffers.

Just think it is easier and quicker with a stuffer.

Probably no huge difference in real small batches, but in quantity, i'll stick with my 20lb motorized stuffer over my grinder any day!

SWFLsmkr1

Formerly 'SFLsmkr1'
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Oh ya mean these are used for stuffing :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

IMG_3658.JPG

ihocky2

Joined Dec 12, 2011
I have the same grinder, struggled for a year or two with the blade and plates. Bought the stuffing plate and ran without the blade and was a lot easier, but still sucked some some things. Brats and sausages were okay, better texture than with the grinding plates. Snack sticks were horrible. Anything with binder is a pain to get through it, you can't feed it fast enough. The meat sits in the auger and everything is hotdog textured.

After Christmas I bought the 5# LEM and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Snack sticks were 100 times easier. Small batches of sausage I may still use the grinder since I have it out and dirty from the grinding already. Larger batches will go into the stuffer every time. Consistent stuffing was also easier.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.