Processing Week 2023...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...I really did not look at it that closely. I shoot deer for meat, not horns. But I was very happy for the guy that shot the buck as it is only his second buck ever and his biggest to date. First buck for him in like 12 years.....big body deer too, 200-210#.
Saw a super big body buck this week close to my house. Only had a rack on one side. Probably would have been a 12pt. Guess he lost the other side in a fight or maybe a vehicle collision

Reactions: indaswamp
I've seen some big ones killed so far this season...and the biggest was a buck hit by a vehicle inside the city limits of Kansas City....green score 198" and 286# deer....freak of a huge deer...both body and rack.

Congrats, have seen 2 deer while hunting and killed 1, hit 1 with my work van but was able to get on the brakes in time to not kill her, missed another with the rental last week lol. I like to get deer but not with Vehicules

Add two more deer to the tally...now at 14 for processing day. A members grandson shot his first deer, a doe. And another members son shot a spike, only his second deer ever.
IMG_20221218_131508_01.jpg

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Was a good day for the processing day pile! One of the guys in the club shot a nice 8pt. this morning...17" wide...
IMG_20230106_183747_01.jpg

Then I got a call late morning informing me that there were (3) 50-80# little sow pigs in the trap...
IMG_20230106_140848.jpg

First pigs of the year. Should get 50-60# of meat off those pigs. And the deer tally is now at 16 deer.

Beautiful looking buck! Is that the usual size of the wild pigs that you catch in your trap? Just curious, any picture of your trap and how do you bait it?

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Beautiful looking buck! Is that the usual size of the wild pigs that you catch in your trap? Just curious, any picture of your trap and how do you bait it?
Actually, it is not my trap. It's my cousin's wife's uncle. He traps them to get them off his cattle pasture....calls me when he has some. These are the first of the season for me. Yes, the smaller pigs are easier to catch in the traps. Usually under 100#.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Just an update...took me some time deboning the pig meat with my sore arm, but finally got it all done yesterday. Ended up with 54# of wild hog meat and fat for sausage.

Will be scheduling our big day in the kitchen soon...

Awesome haul Keith, congrats all the way around!

BTW, hope ya get healed up soon!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky