Processing Week 2023...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Impressive you guys have a great system it looks like. That freezer looks very full.
Thanks piney! I had to defrost my old non-frost free freezer today while the sausages were in the smokehouse. Had a 5 gallon bucket of frost ice and water come out of it. Now to fill it all back up again!

Yup... This awesome.. Great job...

Keith, All the mixing is by hand no motorized assitance ?
Final mixing of second grind with binder is done by hand. With the smoke sasuages, the cure and seasoning are added to the first grind and mixed, then left to rest in the fridge overnight. Running that through the grinder for second grind works the meat over good and does the heavy lifting of protein extraction so that when we mix in the binder by hand with a stainless steel paddle most of the work is already done.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
The trick with hand mixing using a SS paddle is you flip, then slice through the meat like a knife with the edge of the paddle. This simulates the action of meat mixer blades....and it is much less work on the arms. work on a little at a time, then pile it up to one side....work your way across the ice chest.

We mixed all the left over domestic pork with the 57# of wild hog for the Brats, Jalapeno n cheddar, and the cajun smoke sausage. The percentage of wild hog is around 26% so not a lot. Most people can not even tell it is in there. I like the wild hogs I get given to me.....good meat for this sort of thing. Makes GREAT sausages!

So I just looked up the pricing at a local deer processor. For what just my brother and I had made this is the break down for cost:
Handling fee for deboned meat; $1/# = 57# + 68# = $125
Ground deer/beef; 125# @ $3.65/# = $456.25
Wild hog brats and Venison/pork cajun fresh sausage; 55# @ $4.59/# = $252.45
Wild hog Cajun smoke sausage; 75# @5.19/# = $389.25

Total would be $ 1,222.95 plus tax........and that is why we do it ourselves.......

So I just looked up the pricing at a local deer processor. For what just my brother and I had made this is the break down for cost:
Handling fee for deboned meat; $1/# = 57# + 68# = $125
Ground deer/beef; 125# @ $3.65/# = $456.25
Wild hog brats and Venison/pork cajun fresh sausage; 55# @ $4.59/# = $252.45
Wild hog Cajun smoke sausage; 75# @5.19/# = $389.25

Total would be $ 1,222.95 plus tax........and that is why we do it ourselves.......
I think you just like makin' homemade sausages because they taste so much better than any commercial sausage and you are using the cost calculation to justify doing it so that folks do not think you are cray-cray for doing so much work! 😎

You did not factor your time or expertise into your cost calculations! :emoji_innocent:

I think you just like makin' homemade sausages because they taste so much better than any commercial sausage and you are using the cost calculation to justify doing it so that folks do not think you are cray-cray for doing so much work! 😎

You did not factor your time or expertise into your cost calculations! :emoji_innocent:
It is also how I justify all the equipment I have accumulated!

Reactions: Retired Spook
Also, when you do something like this yourself you get all the care, craft, and quality you want to put into it.
When you take it to a processer they just chop and go!

If you want it to be a better product than the processor then it will be a better product, hands down :)

Reactions: Retired Spook
Round #2 inda smokehouse- just pulled 'em out....
IMG_20230223_144740.jpg

and loaded up for round #3. Only 36# on this last one though. Was going to smoke the last of it tomorrow but had to move it up and do a double header today. Big work day on the 30' x 50' barn tear down tomorrow.

Reactions: tallbm
We already have the OTBS, Maybe we should start OASS ( Order of the Awesome Smoked Sausage)!.......

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
We already have the OTBS, Maybe we should start OASS ( Order of the Awesome Smoked Sausage)!.......
I'll have you know that I burnt to a crisp the first sausages I ever smoked. Now in my defense, I had never smoked sausages and was winging it. Was asked to man the smoker because my Dad had an emergency he had leave to attend to. I cooked those suckers in an offset Oklahoma Joe cabinet smoker. I used way too much wood, got the fire to hot, cooked them too fast (squeezed the fat out.) and they were black when I opened the door to check on them. That was a long fall off mount stupid! LOL! But I'll tell ya what-I can confidently say that I know what I am doing now and I'm still learning the little things. And I'll help anyone that wants to learn and is willing to do the work. Thanks for the laugh buckeyedude.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky