problem with boudin swelling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lorenzoid

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I have made boudin a few times, and all is fine until I poach it. As it warms, the boudin wants to ooze out of the casing (and when I experimented with poaching them still linked, they wanted to unravel). It occurs to me that since the boudin mixture is pre-cooked before stuffing, it doesn't set up the way the meat mixture ("batter") does in a typical sausage. Under-stuffing the casing seems to help, but I can't under-stuff enough to totally avoid the swelling/oozing problem. Is it a matter of getting the ratio of liquid to meat/rice just right? (My recipe was imprecise about the amount of the cooking liquid to add back when the rice is mixed in.) Should the rice be cooked until really mushy, so it can't absorb more moisture and swell when poached? I read in a couple of threads that pork skins are used in some recipes. Would that help with this problem?

Calling indaswamp indaswamp

Sounds like you are over stuffing a tad. you want to stuff like fresh sausage you are gonna twist into 6" links. Also, water temperature is key, 175-180*F max. The boudin is already cooked, you just need to pasteurize the casing and warm the boudin up. Yes, pork skins will help...

Thanks. I guess I need to under-stuff even more than I think I am. Water temp is not the problem--I do keep the water around 170-180F.

Any advice on the liquid amount? As I mentioned, my recipe is really imprecise as to what the end consistency should be like. How stiff?

Have tried to grill it? Friend and I use to get into it about how to cook. He said had to be boiled. I like it grilled. His always busted apart. Finally we both did our way for friends and the grilled was preferred by all.

Have tried to grill it? Friend and I use to get into it about how to cook. He said had to be boiled. I like it grilled. His always busted apart. Finally we both did our way for friends and the grilled was preferred by all.

I haven't tried grilling it. I'm sure I would love it grilled, too. Though with a normal sausage I would prefer a crispy casing, teasing boudin out of a limp casing with my teeth reminds me of good times passing through Cajun country, sitting in my car outside the store or gas station with a couple of still-steaming links and a bag of cracklin's. It's more about re-creating the experience.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
If you are following the recipe I posted, reduce the liquid by half if you do not use and skin for the collagen.

Your recipe looks great. The recipe I have been using is from Donald Link's cookbook "Real Cajun." Now that I have found this forum and the wealth of advice here, maybe I can up my game. I will have to try using skins.

This a crawfish boudin I been wanting to try.

This a crawfish boudin I been wanting to try.

Crawfish have made their way up here (Atlanta) already this year. Going to look for some tomorrow. A boil, though. I don't have the patience to pick the meat for boudin or anything like that.

I have made boudin a few times, and all is fine until I poach it. As it warms, the boudin wants to ooze out of the casing (and when I experimented with poaching them still linked, they wanted to unravel). It occurs to me that since the boudin mixture is pre-cooked before stuffing, it doesn't set up the way the meat mixture ("batter") does in a typical sausage. Under-stuffing the casing seems to help, but I can't under-stuff enough to totally avoid the swelling/oozing problem. Is it a matter of getting the ratio of liquid to meat/rice just right? (My recipe was imprecise about the amount of the cooking liquid to add back when the rice is mixed in.) Should the rice be cooked until really mushy, so it can't absorb more moisture and swell when poached? I read in a couple of threads that pork skins are used in some recipes. Would that help with this problem?

Calling indaswamp indaswamp
Over the years I have learned it's the casing that will shrink as its heated, especially ifbthe steam process is used, which is what I choose. Its a little tricky when steaming to avoid the casing from bursting, mostly making sure its a soft steam,, not hard boiling water.. You can leave a 3" tail of casing and see it shrink to as small as 11/2". I agree with comments above, little over stuffed may be why it seems to be swelling as the casing shrinks.

Reactions: Lorenzoid
Over the years I have learned it's the casing that will shrink as its heated, especially if the steam process is used, which is what I choose. Its a little tricky when steaming to avoid the casing from bursting, mostly making sure its a soft steam,, not hard boiling water.. You can leave a 3" tail of casing and see it shrink to as small as 11/2". I agree with comments above, little over stuffed may be why it seems to be swelling as the casing shrinks.

That's a really good point. I wonder if I'm not soaking the casings long enough? I have been making fresh sausages like bratwurst and Italian style for years, but maybe they are more forgiving. Might adding vinegar to the soaking water help? Or am I over-thinking this?

That's a really good point. I wonder if I'm not soaking the casings long enough? I have been making fresh sausages like bratwurst and Italian style for years, but maybe they are more forgiving. Might adding vinegar to the soaking water help? Or am I over-thinking this?
My honest opinion, I think you may be over thinking. I do boudin casing same as sausage. Just back off a little on the stuffing and that may fix your problem.

Reactions: Lorenzoid
Sounds like you are over stuffing a tad. you want to stuff like fresh sausage you are gonna twist into 6" links. Also, water temperature is key, 175-180*F max. The boudin is already cooked, you just need to pasteurize the casing and warm the boudin up. Yes, pork skins will help...
Your recommendation of water temp is what I use for steaming as well. Always does a great job at this temp.

Howdee howdee, Just a suggestion. 90% of the shrinkage problems come from improperly dehydrated casing. After you case your boudin, give it at least a day and a night, 2 days are even better in the reefer for your casings to dry. Its also why people think they need to try off each link, oh contra my friend, you just need to finish the making process with the casing dehydration. The reefer is alkl you need, BUT I have started quick smoking the boudin. Its delicious to start, but with a hint of pecan smoke makes it all better. I made the below yesterday, overnite in the reefer and smoked today. I just twist the ends and never had a problem.

Making the boudin

IMG_1662.JPG

Stuffin and twisting

IMG_1664.JPG

All done and into the reefer overnite. Remember with inards involved keeping cold is important.

IMG_1669.JPG

This is after a 2 1/2 hour smoke on pecan w/ the vent open and the door only on latch. You must get rid of that water to take on smoke. You are not smoking sausages so you want to get them back in the reefer and lower that temp as soon as you feel you have enough smoke, gently smoked!

IMG_1681.JPG

Didn't wanta waste that warm smoker with smoke rolling ..... Sooooo!!

IMG_1683.JPG

Thats my .19 cent/lb. cured, smoked ham. LOL Following Da'Bear and throwing a double smoke on it.

Anyway, dry those casing and you will not have troubles with the insides running out on you. BTW it is the same with little breakfast sausages and fresh pork sausages also.

Hope it helps you.

PS: boudin + smoked cheddar + soda crackers + spicy beet pickles + Frosty cold longneck...... What time is kickoff??

Thanks, foamheart foamheart . I'll give refrigerating overnight after stuffing a try. My last batch was a lot better. I tried several things, so I have no idea which of them did the trick:

1) I cooked the rice very thoroughly--until it could not absorb any more water.
2) I was careful not to add to much liquid (pork stock) to the ground meat, rice and trinity mixture--just the right consistency.
3) I mixed more vigorously--almost as much as I would do if it were a raw-meat sausage.
4) I understuffed even more than I thought had been doing.

Poaching in 170F water, the ends of the links just barely started opening up, but nothing oozed out by the time I took them out of the water.

Long grain or short grain?
I never add more than 1/4 to a 1/2C of juice to my boudin mixture Thats 6 cupos of rice and everything else. You just want to loosen up that rice.
There should be no clumps of white rice.
I stuff the boudin just like sausage. I only want enough slack so I can twist it. If you let your casings sit in water overnight and hydrate before filling, you shouldn't have any problem.

Hope its all solved, and good luck with it.

Long grain or short grain?
I never add more than 1/4 to a 1/2C of juice to my boudin mixture Thats 6 cupos of rice and everything else. You just want to loosen up that rice.
There should be no clumps of white rice.
I stuff the boudin just like sausage. I only want enough slack so I can twist it. If you let your casings sit in water overnight and hydrate before filling, you shouldn't have any problem.

Hope its all solved, and good luck with it.

Thanks, Foam. Long-grain, Louisiana-grown if I can get it.

Not to sound overly cautious (paranoid), but isn't leaving rice for two days a bit risky. Especially if you leave it a couple more days afterwards to eat fresh. I know as a child we would eat rice for days after cooking, but lately I have heard it is a breeding ground for bacteria. I'm sure people on here have done it for years without ill effect. Just came across this post as I was researching boudin recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky