Prime rib bacon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pbower089

Original poster
Feb 18, 2022
I'm sure your first thought is 'Why.' I agree that normally there is no reason to mess up a perfectly good cut of meat. But I deal with quite a few burger cows and their loins usually get ground up too. I thought it might be a neat experiment to cure, smoke, thinly slice, then fry a prime rib.

What are your thoughts?
Have any of you tried this?

If it was just going to get ground up anyhow, what the heck. Do post up the results if you end up trying it. I guess if I were to do it, I'd debone and do what would be a beef version of Canadian bacon.

I'm sure your first thought is 'Why.' I agree that normally there is no reason to mess up a perfectly good cut of meat. But I deal with quite a few burger cows and their loins usually get ground up too. I thought it might be a neat experiment to cure, smoke, thinly slice, then fry a prime rib.

What are your thoughts?
Have any of you tried this?
As a pastrami it is fantastic. Out of the park good. Just need to cut it in half lengthwise in the curing phase. Good luck, whatever direction you go it will be delicious.

Welcome and
rEVgkHr.jpg

I make beef bacon from brisket flat. HERE is a post all about it. The only thing that would make me shy away from using prime rib is the fact it's leaner than anything lower on the steer. Now prime rib jerky.....

This is not much of a test.
Lots of people have done the same thing with Ground Beef.
The fact that it's from Prime Rib isn't going to change it much.
I'd just make some Awesome Burgers with it, if it's already ground, and too late to treat it with respect.

Just my 2 Piasters,
Bear

As a pastrami it is fantastic. Out of the park good. Just need to cut it in half lengthwise in the curing phase. Good luck, whatever direction you go it will be delicious.
Pastrami sounds like another great idea for it. What's the reasoning for cutting it in half? Quicker penetration of the cure?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Welcome and

I make beef bacon from brisket flat. HERE is a post all about it. The only thing that would make me shy away from using prime rib is the fact it's leaner than anything lower on the steer. Now prime rib jerky.....
Sounds tasty. I'm a huge fan of smoked corned beef brisket, which is similar in many ways to a brisket bacon. St paddy's day is coming up too. Hmmm.

Well the experiment is under way. Thanks to everyone that chimed in. The prime rib came from a 5 year old cow that broke her leg. The briskets and tenderloins went to a friend,I saved both prime ribs, and the rest went into burger. Tried a ribeye and it was tougher than hell.

Each 'not so' prime rib was about 9 lbs. Froze one for later and cut one in half. One half is currently curing for a pastrami, and the other half is curing for a bacon.

I was hoping for a little more fat in there. It almost seems like it doesn't have enough fat for bacon but has too much for pastrami. We will see.

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_134848832.jpg
    IMG_20220220_134848832.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220224_121757659.jpg
    IMG_20220224_121757659.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Sven Svensson
OK---Now I understand what kind of Cow you were speaking of.
I agree this is a good idea to do with it. Please Excuse my earlier comment.

Bear

So now I'm thinking on a spit, like a Gyro meat cone. Cook and slice the same as the Lamb Gyro but it would be a Prime rib gyro?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky