Prime packer & venison pastrami project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Ok, so I have been reading about curing and smoking long enough. I had to try it out on my own. I hemmed and hawed about the method, but I settled on one that seems to be pretty straightforward (Thanks SmokinAL!).

So, yesterday, I went to Costco and bought a 15.5lb prime packer, and I also thawed out a few really nice vension roasts from this season past. I didn't have to trim the vension, but I did trim the packer. Man, it felt weird taking all that fat off!! I ended up with 6lbs of fat, a 5.5 lb flat & a 4lb point. Mixed up two batches of brine (1 gal H2O, 3 tbsp salt cure, pickling spice, bay leaves, brown sugar, salt, garlic & bay leaves). Placed the flat & point in one bag, and the venison in another; injected brine into the thicker parts & submerged all meat, and into the fridge for 10-11 days.

Here are a few pics to start, I'll be sure to take more along the way. And as always, thanks to those that give this info out and share so willingly with us, AND, of course, I welcome any and all input, feedback, questions, suggestions, etc., etc.

IMG_0091.JPG
I went to 8 stores in the New Orleans area to find this. Next time I'll order ahead!!

IMG_0094.JPG
My flat-flat & point. Made me so uncomfortable trimming all that fat, hope I did ok!!

IMG_0095.JPG
These are the vension roasts. The packer is in a big brine bag, inside a cast iron pot, and again, all meat is totally submerged, with the thick part of the point receiving injections of the brine.

Now the wait...

Reactions: Medina Joe
Side note, I trimmed both sides of the brisket...starting to wonder if that was a mistake. I really wanted the crust all the way around. I guess we'll find out.

Be watching this . I bought that same cure in a pinch one time . The one I bought had a shackertop on it . Does that one ?

Be watching this . I bought that same cure in a pinch one time . The one I bought had a shackertop on it . Does that one ?
It does, but I pulled it off so I could get the measuring scoop in it. It does have the 6.25 sodium nitrite % so I am hoping it's proper for this method. Got a lot of meat on the line...

That's the right stuff . Throw the shaker top away so no one gets confused and miss uses it . Why they sell it like that is beyond me . Looks like a good start . I just did eye round to pastrami it was really good .

Reactions: 73saint
I think you did a very smart thing, when you trimmed all the fat off.
Your going to have some wonderful pastrami!
Al

Well we’re a week in, and I was doing some rotating in the fridge n came across a couple of loose pieces in my brisket bag. I’m impatient, swore I’d wait until the night I pulled them from the brine before doing this...but I did it anyway. Washed em up really good and fried em up. They looked good, smelled good, fried up the color I was looking for, and even though they were tough, they tasted just like yummy corned beef! So I’d say so far, so good....

upload_2018-4-17_19-46-9.jpeg upload_2018-4-17_19-46-31.jpeg

Excellent taste, even better aftertaste. I will definitely soak them good though, the salt flavor is in full effect but I expected as such.

Looking forward to getting some smoke on em, and also seeing how these venison roasts turn out as well.

upload_2018-4-18_13-26-24.jpeg

Here are the three venison roasts. I cut off a small piece of venison and did a fry test as well. This time I actually soaked the meat in cold water about 20 minutes before frying. Very small piece. :
upload_2018-4-18_13-27-35.jpeg

Well, the flavor if there. Taste is excellent and the venison is moist and tender. BUT both the venison and the beef are too salty for my taste.

I’m hoping an actual soak helps. I wonder though, is the fry test an exact reflection of what to expect with the finished product? It’s a small piece off the edge, so I wonder if it will be this salty throughout.

I guess I will just soak the meat on Friday, and periodically change the water and test the meat again, to see if the salt diminishes at all.

Well, I got up at 4 am, got the flat, point & venison roasts soaked in ice water for 2.5 hours; did a fry test, flavor and salt seemed perfect. Then I dried off the meat, coated w mustard and then the rub (black pepp, coriander, mustard seed, garlic/onion powder, brown sug, paprika).

Now to go light the fire and heat up the old Lang. Here are a few pics I took along the way...
upload_2018-4-21_7-52-49.jpeg

Color and marbeling of the flat seemed good.

upload_2018-4-21_7-53-32.jpeg

Flat & point seasoned and ready.

upload_2018-4-21_7-54-17.jpeg

My venison roasts. The one to the right is shaped like a football. Very thick, I did inject so I hope the cure made it throughout.

upload_2018-4-21_7-55-27.jpeg

I have a lot of meat, almost ran outta rub...

I’ll check back in in a bit.

Last edited:
As expected, the venison finished a lot sooner than the beef. I’ve got the beef steaming on the smoker, 5 hrs in and it’s running around 170 internal.

Covered the venison at 150, steamed to 160. It hit 150 so quick I just had to leave it uncovered to try and build a decent bark.
upload_2018-4-21_14-15-34.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_14-15-57.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_14-16-18.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_14-16-52.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_14-17-12.jpeg

Started w a little toasted marble rye, home made cold smoked Swiss, venison pastrami and mustard. Not too shabby!!

That looks fantastic . Nice cure on a big piece of meat . I dry some of the eye I did into jerky . Maybe try it with a few slice of the deer meat . Again nice job bud .

That looks fantastic . Nice cure on a big piece of meat . I dry some of the eye I did into jerky . Maybe try it with a few slice of the deer meat . Again nice job bud .
Thanks for the compliment. That’s (jerky) a good idea. How did you dry it? I don’t have a dehydrator but I’ve heard some folks do it in the oven...

I do all my jerky in the oven at 170 . I go by eye and feel . Great flavor . You got a bunch of meat there . Try a tray full

I’ve got the pastrami cooling so money shots later, but I couldn’t stand it we had to cut a few pieces from the flat. Wow is all I can say....

upload_2018-4-21_17-52-41.jpeg

Juicy, tender. Perfect flavor. Soaking did the trick. Just the right amount of salt. Couldn’t be happier thus far.

Ok, last batch of pics. All I can say is wow, we are stuffed from our hot pastrami sammys (we actually just split one), but I could not be more pleased with how it came out.

upload_2018-4-21_19-7-39.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-8-8.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-9-18.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-8-34.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-9-47.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-10-8.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-10-27.jpeg

Holy pastrami Batman!! I’m so proud, happy, full & excited to get this all sliced up and portioned out. We have strami for days (& days).

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
Well I never got alerted that more had been added here , so just found it by chance . Shame so much gets missed .

Anyway that looks perfect , maybe better than perfect . Fantastic job .

1E171D11-2AB4-4075-8181-370F79839F58.jpeg Thanks Chopsaw, yeah, I think the thread got buried! I was hoping all who were interested got to see it.

Also, for what it’s worth, I’ll probably end up doing this again really soon. Here’s a pic of what we ended up with after having our way with the giant platter of slices (three of those pacs are venison)

Last edited:
Reactions: Medina Joe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky