Pretzel wrapped Pepper Jack Bratwurst .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Fun cook to do , and something different . Had some homemade Brats I wanted to use up , but no buns . So I made up some dough .
I make dough almost every week . Use what I want , then rest goes in the fridge .
Pulled away from sides of the mixer nicely . Cover and let rise .
20200125_163453.jpg
Homemade Brats . These have pepper jack cheese , eggs , cure 1 and whole milk .
20200125_161302.jpg
I used the cast Iron grill pan to pre cook these . I like to keep them as straight
as possible , so I used a rack brace to keep them from rolling .
20200125_170902.jpg
Then flip and re-rack .
20200125_171835.jpg
Nice rise on the dough while sausage was cooking .
20200125_180135.jpg
Sausage all done , ready to wrap .
20200125_180148.jpg
I take off enough dough for what I need , and save the rest for something else .
Roll out , and start wrapping '
20200125_181103.jpg
20200125_181326.jpg
20200125_181220.jpg
Ready for the dip .
20200125_182018.jpg
Missed pictures of this , but for pretzels they go into a pot of boiling water with baking soda .
Just for 30 seconds or so . Then drain and into the oven to bake .
Once they start to pick up some color , I pull them out and sprinkle with coarse Kosher salt .
20200125_185030.jpg
Then back into the oven 'til done .
20200125_190206.jpg
Plated up with some homemade Mac n cheese .
Black pepper and some Franks on mine .
20200125_190935.jpg
I just use a good quality cheese for these . I like the way it melts , but stays in the sausage .
The cure , eggs and milk give it a smoked sausage like texture .
20200125_191041.jpg
Thanks for lookin .

Dough ,
1 3/4 cup water
4 1/2 - 5 cups flour ( depends on the weather that day )
1 TBLS white sugar
2 TBLS olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 package yeast .

In the bowl of a stand mixer
add the sugar and water hot enough to dissolve the sugar .
When the water cools down to 110 degrees add the yeast , and let it foam up .
When the yeast foams , add the olive oil and mix .
Add flour , add salt on top of flour and mix until it pulls away from the side of the bowl .

Boil
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda .
Add the baking soda to the water and bring to a boil . ( don't boil , then add baking soda )
30 second dip in the boil then drain and bake off .

Last edited:
Chopsaw thats looks awesome! I'm gonna have to try this with my white brats. Dip in some good mustard. Your mac looks good too. I always put Frank's on mac n cheese...good stuff. LIKE!

Reactions: chopsaw
Damn Chop that looks great! Brats looks great and that mac and cheese looks outstanding too! I like the bigger noodles in the mac care to share your recipe on it?

Reactions: chopsaw
Chopsaw thats looks awesome! I'm gonna have to try this with my white brats.
Yup , sounds good . I have some Weisswurst left I was going to cut into 2 " sections and try it like that . Thanks for the comment .
They look great.
Thanks . That chewy texture of the pretzel goes good with the sausage , and a dark beer .
Damn Chop that looks great! Brats looks great and that mac and cheese looks outstanding too! I like the bigger noodles in the mac care to share your recipe on it?
Thanks Vol . I can get it for you . My Son dos the mac , and hes got it figured out .

LIKE and congrats on the ride! Brat and breze is the classic combo. You guys are killing me talking about the weisswurst. I never got the chance to make mine over the holidays...

Not sure if you guys know but I went through a pretzel phase some time ago and lye is actually used for the browning. Baking soda "kinda" works but lye is way better and the key. I got some food grade sodium hydroxide on Amazon for like $10. Legit german pretzels are pretty dark. https://www.saveur.com/worlds-best-pretzel/

Reactions: Jimbo9414
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky