• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork shoulder

Chefmjg4635

Joined Aug 7, 2020
How much liuid do you inject into a pork shoulder. I have never done a pork shoulder with marinade injected into one.
Thanks
Mike

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
Pork shoulder needs no injection. It has a high fat content and will be very moist when smoked to probe tenderness.

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
I’ve never injected. I just use the juice in the foil after I wrap it and make some of Jj’s finishing sauce. I don’t see a use to inject pork butts, I just keep it simple. What is making you want to inject one? Not saying it’s wrong. A lot of people do I just never have and try to avoid extra steps if I can.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I don't inject mine either, but plan to try it on the next one .
If thats what you want to do go for it .
Not sure what you're injecting with , but it will naturally hold about 10 % . Any more than that will leach back out . So I always just pump as much as it will take on chickens and pork loins.
Let us know how it turns out .

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
How much liuid do you inject into a pork shoulder. I have never done a pork shoulder with marinade injected into one.
Thanks
Mike
You mean a whole shoulder, the butt and picnic? A 20# front leg? Inject as much as it will hold. Shoot it deep around the bones, you won't be sorry.

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
I'm watching! Are you just injecting for flavor or are you wanting to cure it and smoke for ham?

Ryan

Smoking Allowed

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 13, 2021
Like most have said, I don't inject. I get the additional flavor that I'm looking for when I pull it and add a finishing sauce.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I dont inject Butts either. The pork has never come out dry and the Finishing Sauce SmokingUPnorth mentioned adds extra moisture flavor and some Tang to cut the fat.
If you choose to Inject, you are pushing Bacteria from the surface into the sterile interior. No big deal, UNLESS your smoker craps out before the Internal Temp (IT) reaches 140°F. Babysit the smoker the first 4 to 5 hours, then a Remote Thermometer with a High/Low Temp Alarm, will let you get some sleep if smoking overnight...JJ

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
I never inject, but I do brine. See BUTT recipe in the sig below.

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Same here. If injecting, maybe work better during brine? But maybe for safety not good idea to pierce big muscle and have it sit a long time (?)

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I use Pops brine with some extra spices, I inject the butt until it won’t hold anymore liquid, then bag it up & put the remaining liquid in the bag, making sure it is completely submerged. I leave it in the brine for 24 hours, then rinse it off & put my rub on it & smoke it. Everybody loves it!
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.