Looking for advice / help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Archer318

Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
I am wanting to make a smoked shoulder butt. All the recipes that I find are centered around pulled pork but that is not what I want to make. When I was young we would have a smoke butt and cabbage rather than corned beef and cabbage. I have found some mention of bringing/water soaking the pork butt and then smoking it. Has anyone ever heard or done this. If I could find one to buy I would but none here in Texas. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JLeonard and mr mac
Sounds like you want to remove the butt around the 180º IT mark where it should still be firm enough to slice or whatever. As far as a brine, take a look at the one in here, which is from Alton Brown.

Reactions: mr mac
Agree, 180° would be where I would pull it and let it rest for a bit. Should slice up nicely.

By the way, welcome to SMF from Southeast Missouri.

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds like you want to remove the butt around the 180º IT mark where it should still be firm enough to slice or whatever. As far as a brine, take a look at the one in here, which is from Alton Brown.

So here is the update, had to wait till we ate it! I did the 15 hour brine and then seasoned with one modification I cut the chilli powder cause my mom does not do well with any heat and made it up with paprika, I used the Hungarian Sweet. I smoked it on the Trager for close to 5 hours on 225 till it got to 180. I had it in open foil so the juices stayed with it and then wrapped it after till the temp went down to 120. I then vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge. Today I took it out and reheated it in the seal bag for almost 2 hours simmering to make sure it got heated through. It was fantastic and almost how I remembered a smoked butt tasted. Best of all mom liked it. So thanks for the advice.

As far as a brine were you looking to cure it (hammy) or just add sodium/flavoring (pulled or sliced BBQ pork style)? If you are just looking for salt and flavor and a quick over night brine I'd go very salt heavy (like half a cup per gallon h2o) as it'll only penetrate maybe a quarter inch tops in 12 hours.

I try to brine everything I bbq, but a dry brine. That means I hit the meat with a goodish amount of salt the night before and just set it in the fridge. I don't measure the salt, but I take it into account when applying a rub the next day and use less salt (pork only, beef I just use salt and pepper on 95% of the time)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky