Pork rinds? How 'bout chicken rinds?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
I've been curing, smoking, slicing and vacuum sealing belly bacon and BBB for weeks now and have been dying to get to the skins I pulled off the belly before smoking.

Now, I think I like the cracklings better with a little "stuff" on them when rendered and fried correctly. But making pork rinds are done completely differently. The raw skins are separated from the belly and were cut into pieces and boiled for 2 hours or so. Then all the fat and "stuff" scraped off with a spoon. Then the pieces are placed on a wire rack over a cookie sheet into the convection oven overnight at 170' to dehydrate them completely until you can break them with a "snap". Break them into thumbnail sized pieces and pat them dry with paper towels to remove any remaining oils on the surface. Put them in a ziplock bag or vacuum seal then into the freezer until ready to cook and serve.

I used a 8" cast iron Dutch Oven with peanut oil heated to 400' then tossed a few of the dried chips. They sink to the bottom and within seconds they pop and float to the surface. I held them down submerged a few seconds longer with a spider. Drained on a cooling rack and immediately dusted with some "Slap Ya Mama" Cajun seasoning.They turned out perfect!

Now this all got me thinking if this would work with chicken skin...
45.gif
 Anybody try that before?

Well you sure did great with the pork skins.

I think you should try chicken skin next for sure!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky