Pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonhans

Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
Anyone else obsessed with the simplicity and fantastic taste of smoked pork loin? Dry rub, rolled with goodies inside, BBB style, you name it! I have yet to have a bad one. What's your favorite method?

I love Back Bacon, aka Canadian Bacon, but not a big fan of loin other ways. Too lean and has very little flavor until you trick it out. My Dad worked as a Butcher in my Grandfather's shops. We mostly had Butts when pork was on the menu. Whole Butt Roasts, Sliced Butt Chops, Butt strips for Country Style Ribs. So the darker, fattier, more flavorful Butt was what I came to love and compare other cuts to...JJ

I love pork loin! It is probably the most frequent meat i smoke and its always a hit with the family at gatherings.

In my experiance its also a pretty quick smoke, usually takes just a few hours for me at about 275 to 300f reguardless of the size. I think the consistancy of the cook times is because of the somewhat uniform thickness reguardless if the weight.

I guess i may like pork loin for the same reason JJ prefers fattier cuts, because it is what i grew up on. My family tended to lean towords leaner meats.

My favorite way to make them is wrapped in bacon, i think it helps keep from drying out (as if i have to justify adding bacon to anything) but ive had them great with just a simple rub as well.
20171225_081759.jpg

Gotta agree w Jimmy on this one. Pig makes great meat, but the whole loin doesn't happen to be one of those great parts.

Kind like eye of round or bottom round, except less flavor. It can be made to taste like whatever you want I guess, but it takes a good deal of manipulation.

But to each their own I suppose.

I almost exclusively turn pork loin into three things: Canadian Bacon. Porkchops. Jerky...

I've smoked it a few times, but I didn't find it better then a nice thick cut chop from the same meat, marinaded overnight, dusted in cornmeal and seasoned flour and pan fried crispy and finished in the oven... then of course I use the pan drippings for a cream based gravy and that is that!

Juicy, tender, delicious. I’ve never had a bad one. I’ve marinated, injected, and just basic dry rubs. I’ve even smoked some pieces extra long to use in baked beans (scrumptious). It’s all good!

I also prefer the tenderloin to the loin, but a good loin injected, and rubbed down isn't frowned upon in our house.

Chris

All loins get heavily seasoned, yeah they need it, and most are smoked or smoked and seared.
Brining is almost a must, wet, dry or inject

Herb and Garlic Crusted
Rolled with either a sweet or savory, or sweet/savory stuffing.
Injected
Injected and Bacon Wrapped
Bacon Wrapped

My favorite way is making Canadian Bacon out of it, or Cured & Smoked Pork Chops.
I like to stuff a Pork Loin now & then with Apple Pie Filling.
And I love the way SmokingAl makes his Thin Sliced Pork Loin, like he posted above in Post #9.

Bear

I will second Pork Tenderloin. The local store sells them BOGO,every other week. The 4 Tenders are the right amount for 6 adults and my SIL takes leftovers for work. Pork Tenders Medallions Diane, is the most popular. Sear 1/2" medallions and set aside. Sauteed 2ea minced Shallots and a pound of Mushrooms, deglaze with Brandy. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of Dijon Mustard and 2Cup Heavy Cream. Reduce as desired, season with S&P. Add the meat to heat to 145-150 and serve with Buttered Egg Noodles. Really tasty...JJ

Love pork loin.Have one on as we speak...be ready just in time for the neighborhood bar Christmas party!

Reminds me the holidays 30 years ago. The guys I hung out with and our then girl friends, would alternate houses for a Christmas and New Years Eve party. A big Buffet of great food, nickle and dime poker and plenty of Booze at each party. That was some very fun times. Now we have our own families, live in different states and are too old to drink the way we did. I sure miss the Old Days. Merry Christmas everyone...JJ

Reminds me the holidays 30 years ago. The guys I hung out with and our then girl friends, would alternate houses for a Christmas and New Years Eve party. A big Buffet of great food, nickle and dime poker and plenty of Booze at each party. That was some very fun times. Now we have our own families, live in different states and are too old to drink the way we did. I sure miss the Old Days. Merry Christmas everyone...JJ

I'll be 50 in three days.I don't exactly party the way I used to...way to many responsibilities.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky