Pork Butt Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjrolex

Original poster
May 14, 2012
Hi...yesterday I tried a 7 to 8 lb pork butt. I have a new Smokin it model 1. I don't have a 732 yet, but have one on order. I used an inexpensive digital Taylor instant read, that I think it is accurate. Put butt on at 2am, and figured about 14 hours. Set smoker to 225, and after about 10 hrs checked meat and was around 162. Temp at exhaust hole was running around 195 to 210. Anyway, I checked meat again 2 hours later, and was still at 162 to 165. Checked again 2 hrs later and was still the same. After a total of 16 hrs, meat was only at 165 to 170. So after that amount of time, and about 10 or 12 beers, I figured it was about oven time. Foiled it and cooked  it at 400 for about an hour. Temp read about 205, pulled and sauced it. Meat was good and tender. My question is, did I hit some very lengthy stall, or miss a step somewhere?  Thanks in advance for guidance....Jeff

The dreaded stall   Been there done that   You did the same thing I do, get tired and put it in the oven.  I normally run around 325 or 350 in the oven but it's not that important

As long as you like the results that's all that counts

You hit the stall.  Each piece of meat is different.  For planning purposes I use 2 hours per lb and add 2 hours to the result for just this type of variance.  I can hold the finished product warm if done early.

Hi...no didn't do foil until I took it out of smoker. I guess I tented it for about an hour, then foiled and popped it in the oven.

Hi...no didn't do foil until I took it out of smoker. I guess I tented it for about an hour, then foiled and popped it in the oven.
 That will speed up the smoke. But you do want to wait as long as possible to build up the bark. I usually wrap at 160 to 170, then actually crank the smoker temp up to 295 or so. Remove at 205 internal. Wrapping in foil will help push you thru the stall a little quicker.

Do all butts stall at some point, for however long, or do some cook straight through?

I smoked a 9lb pork shoulder last weekend (probably around 8lbs and change after I removed the skin).  It went in the WSM at around 5:00 am at around 220 degrees (bottom rack of the 22.5 WSM) and it made a slow crawl up in temperature and hit 160-165 at around 11:30 or 12:00.  I can't exactly remember.  (Should have logged it). But it basically sat at 165 for about 2 hours.  After I moved it up to the top rack of the WSM and added some more charcoal (the temp ran a little hotter around 260-280) and it reached 195 at around 3:40pm (10.5 hours). Didnt have much time to let it sit because the crowd was aching for some food, but the results were great.  In the past i've foiled it and put it in the oven after it reaches 165.  That's a long winded way of saying yes, there can be a significant stall period.

Never had one not stall.  I believe the stall is all the collagen and connective tissue breaking down.  They kind of absorb the heat and become gelatinous and delicious.  That's why very lean roasts don't stall

Yeah, they all stall and each one is a new experience for me. The last two butts I did together. The smaller one took two hours longer to get to 205°. It must have had more connective tissue and fat to render out. Sometimes it takes more beer than a man can drink....
wife.gif

Looks like you got some great advice and of course I’m going to share my thoughts as well.

From reading your posts several times it sounds like your temps were too low. I see your smoker is an electric, have you checked your temps for accuracy in the chamber? 4-6 hours for a stall is pretty long.

More importantly I would be concerned about, "how long it took the meat to get through the danger zone".

Some times people focus too much on keeping the temps low, don't worry if you are bouncing around 225° - 275° just make sure you get through your danger zone safely.

Most of my Butts have stalled , seems more prevalent on larger butts, don’t be afraid to foil and crank the heat a bit to get through the stall, but for a heavy bark, remove foil once the temp starts creeping up again.

Some butts I foil some I don’t,my point is don't be afraid to foil
I don’t rush the stall but there are some recipes I do that do not require a heavy bark, like my Porchetta Italian Market place pulled pork (wow that's a
mouthful) or my Philly Style pulled pork.

Good luck and have fun

2df816fd_003.jpg
Thanks , Bama . I been preaching this a long time , and delighted to see the proof of my "sweating".

When I do Butts(usually several at a time) , they generally come out together :

39683530_Betty004.jpg

They come out with a good Bark and done throughout . I 'calculate' my time at 1.5hrs./lb. as a rule of thumb and track heat on my Therms. for IMT. Keeping my Smoking Chamber at  approx. 225° and the lid shut , when looking, you're not cooking
biggrin.gif
. The results are :

a36e408c_004.jpg

done with NO foil...Tender,juicy, Barky and Smokey.

The "sweat" is seen here in my Ribs also:

274ff17b_bbqshots002.jpg

And my Brisket:

f1b5d726_brisketcook5-17-12018.jpg

Tender , juicy and no sauce needed ...

The condition in the Smoke Chamber is super Humid from the juices dripping on the tuning plates. Moisture is moving in the Muscle and the Fats and Collegen are melting.

Here I did a tenderness test ( after my target temp. was achieved - 200°) and it was in and out without resistance.

Patience is my greatest ally , leave things alone and you'll see a difference in your "Q". The foiling (IMHO) is a 'Handicap" for holding the moisture in, leaving the door closed will do the same if you  leave the lid shut. I don't "Braise" anything , and that's exacly what is happening when the meat is sealed in a package with More liquid. This technique make the meat a little too mushy for my taste and is left to those less experienced in Smoking.

Keep the practice up and ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky