Pork Blade Steaks “Part #2” (Experiments #3 & #4)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Pork Blade Steaks “Part #2” (Experiments #3 & #4)

OK Guys, Here we go with #3 and #4 Pork Blade Steaks:

Here’s a Link to “Part #1 of this Experiment:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pork-blade-steaks-“part-1”-experiments-1-2.285242/

For a refresher:
#3 will be SV for 30 hours @ 140°, and sear in a Pan while torching the edges & low fatty spots.
#4 will be SV for 24 hours @ 140°, and finish on my Indoor Grill.

So I vac packed 2 Pork Steaks in separate bags, and put them in my Sous Vide Supreme @ 140° at 9 AM on Saturday.

Then at 10 AM Sunday I pulled one out (Pork Steak #4 ) & put it in a Big Bowl of Ice Water, and into the Fridge. I waited until 10 AM, because we moved the clocks ahead 1 hour on Saturday night, and I wanted it to be 24 hours.

Then at 4 PM I removed the other one (Pork Steak #3) from the SV, dried it with Paper towels, and threw it in a hot greased Pan to sear both sides. While it was searing, I torched the edges & any low fatty spots. Then I plated the meat & added Mashed Taters with Gravy, and some Broccoli. The flavor was Great, and the meat was very Fork Tender too!!

Then the next night, I removed Pork Steak #4 from the fridge, and cut it into a designated piece for each of us for Supper. Then I put the pieces on my Indoor Grill, and flipped them around until they were done just right. I plated the meat, and added French Fries & Gravy, and the leftover Broccoli. Again the flavor was Great, and the meat was even a little more Fork Tender than Pork Steak #3 was.

So I would rate them in order, starting with the best to be #4, #3, #2, #1.

I would definitely do either #3 or #4 any time, and We Both Agreed Pork Steak #4 was The Best Of All !!

I hope you all enjoyed my little experiments, because we sure did!!

Bear

#3 and #4 Pork Steaks in rack, ready for SV:
IMG_3254.jpg

#3 Fresh out of Sous Vide Supreme:
IMG_3256.jpg

Into a Pan for searing:
IMG_3257.jpg

Searing both sides, while torching the edges & low fatty spots:
IMG_3258.jpg

All seared & Mrs Bear's portion removed:
IMG_3259.jpg

Bear's Supper:
IMG_3260.jpg

Next Night
#4 removed from Vac Bag & Mrs Bear's portion separated:
IMG_3264.jpg

Onto my Indoor Smokeless Grill:
IMG_3265.jpg

Outside looking Good!!
IMG_3266.jpg

All Done!!
IMG_3267.jpg

Bear's Supper with Broccoli & Fries, with gravy on the fries:
The flavor of the Meat was so good, I didn't put any gravy on it !!!
IMG_3269.jpg

Last edited:
Great Post Bear, every plate looked fantastic I LIKED em all

Gary

Looks good Bear. From the pics #4 does look better.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great Bear! I agree that from where I sit #4 looks the best by far. That indoor grill looks to do great on finishing up a cook. Like!

Weedeater

Looks good Bear. From the pics #4 does look better.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
They all tasted Great, but the only ones that were Fork Tender were #3 and #4.
Next time I would get them a little thicker, but not much.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

It all looks good to me John!
I'd eat any of them!
Thanks for the experiment, it will sure save the rest of us a lot of time!
Al

Bear, Great experiment,my question is was #4 better because of the extra 6 hours in SV or was it your grill that imparted the extra pizazz that made it the best one. I want to SV some steaks and am curious what you think!

Bear, Great experiment,my question is was #4 better because of the extra 6 hours in SV or was it your grill that imparted the extra pizazz that made it the best one. I want to SV some steaks and am curious what you think!

Thank You CM !!
Actually if you look closer, you'll notice that #3 had the 30 hours SV, and #4 had the 24 hours SV, so the one we liked the best (#4) was SV'd for 24 hours & was finished on my Grill. So I would have to say that 24 hours was long enough to do the job, and the Grill was slightly better than the job I did searing #4 in the Pan. Agreed???
And that would mean 30 hours SV'ing these Pork Steaks was unnecessary---24 hours is sufficient.
And Thanks for the Like.

I'm thinking I should add this to my original post on this thread.

Bear

Thank You CM !!
Actually if you look closer, you'll notice that #3 had the 30 hours SV, and #4 had the 24 hours SV, so the one we liked the best (#4) was SV'd for 24 hours & was finished on my Grill. So I would have to say that 24 hours was long enough to do the job, and the Grill was slightly better than the job I did searing #4 in the Pan. Agreed???
And that would mean 30 hours SV'ing these Pork Steaks was unnecessary---24 hours is sufficient.
And Thanks for the Like.

I'm thinking I should add this to my original post on this thread.

Bear

John, My bad , not enough coffee yet as your post was clear and concise unlike my brain this AM !:) Thanks !

John, My bad , not enough coffee yet as your post was clear and concise unlike my brain this AM !:) Thanks !

No problem!!
It's very confusing because the first one I removed from the SV happened to be the last one we ate.
It's even confusing to me!

Bear

Love a good pork steak . I'll have to try the SV .

Thank You Rich!!
To me it seems to be the best way to do these in steak form.
When It's still in roast form, I'd still rather Smoke it Low & Slow.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great Bear! I agree that from where I sit #4 looks the best by far. That indoor grill looks to do great on finishing up a cook. Like!

Weedeater

Thank You !!
Yup---Easy to use & easy to clean!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks terrific. Don't ya hate having to be a Guinea pig for us. :emoji_wink:
Thanks for the insight.

Thank You!!
No--I enjoy knowing that I make some things easier for some of you guys!!
Plus I make it easier for myself when I want to make something that I've done before & made an easy Step by Step on it.
I got CRS, and need a good Step by Step to follow on some things!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

It all looks good to me John!
I'd eat any of them!
Thanks for the experiment, it will sure save the rest of us a lot of time!
Al

Thank You Al !!
Yup--I'd skip #1 and #2, and go right to #3 or #4.---Awesome!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky