Pork Blade Steaks “Part #1” (Experiments #1 & #2)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Pork Blade SteaksPart #1” (Experiments #1 & #2)

OK Guys, Time for some more experimenting:
I had the urge to try Pork Steaks, so I figured I’d try some different ways, and see how they all come out.

So here are the ways I’m going to use in my testing.
Note: I’ll be doing this all indoors:
#1 Just plain Grilling, with my Indoor Grill.

#2 SV for 7 hours @ 140°, and seared in a Pan on the stove, while torching the edges & low fatty spots.

#3 SV for 24 hours @ 140°, and sear in Pan while torching the edges & low spots.

#4 SV for 30 hours @ 140°, and finish on my Indoor Grill.

So the first thing I did was get a nice Pork Butt sliced into steaks about 1” Thick. I guess that’s not that easy to do, because there was a lot of variance in the slices from the “Giant Market” Meat Cutter.
I’ll be preparing One Steak for each meal, and Mrs Bear & I will share it & pool our remarks.

Test #1 Pork Steak:
On this one, all I did was put some Pork Rub on this one for my Dinner. I had a small piece that came with the full slices, so I didn’t season that for Mrs Bear. Then I put the pieces on my Indoor Grill, and flipped them a few times, until the IT was at least 145°.
The flavor was Great, but the meat was very tough, needing a knife to cut & took quite a bit of chewing.

Test #2 Pork Steak:
I decided to Bag this one & put it in my Sous Vide Supreme for 7 hours first.
Then I Dried the meat & seared it in a Pan, while torching the edges & low Fatty spots.
The flavor was Great, but the meat was still fairly tough, and by no means anywhere near “Fork Tender”.

This concludes Test #1 and Test #2.
Due to the Large number of pictures needed to show what was done, Test #3 and Test #4 will be in another Thread, soon to be posted.
I’ll Link the 2 Threads together so they will be easy to view together.

I'll give you a Hint, "Experiments #3 & #4 came out Far Superior to #1 & #2."

Here's a Link to Part 2 of this Experiment:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pork-blade-steaks-“part-2”-experiments-3-4.285299/

Enjoy the Pics below:

Bear

One nice Pork Butt sliced into Pork Blade Steaks:
IMG_3209.jpg

Beginning of Experiment #1

Mine Rubbed & Mrs Bear's naked:
IMG_3211.jpg

Onto my Indoor Grill:
IMG_3213.jpg

Looking nice & juicy:
IMG_3214.jpg

Looking Really Good!!!
IMG_3216.jpg

Bear's Supper, with Taters Au Gratin & Green Beans:
IMG_3217.jpg

The Next Night (Leftovers)
Had some left over, so I cut it into bite sized pieces & put them in a circle around the perimeter, and squirted some sauce on them.
Then I put the sides in the middle & added some Frank's to my Taters:
IMG_3218.jpg

Beginning of Experiment #2

One Pork Steak bagged for SV:
IMG_3224.jpeg

Racked & ready for SV (@140° for 7 hours):
IMG_3225.jpg

Fresh out of SV:
IMG_3226.jpg

Pan Searing & Torching the edges:
IMG_3227.jpg

All Seared up & looking Tasty:
IMG_3228.jpg

Bear's Supper, with Mashed Taters with Gravy & Peas:
IMG_3229.jpg

Experiments #3 & #4 Coming soon----
Watch for it!!

Last edited:
Looks good , love pork steaks . Got your moneys worth out of the grill already .

Last edited:
Easier if you tie the butt first...2" spacing and slice between the strings...

Note that I said the Meat Cutter at "Giant" did the slicing. I have no idea how he did it, but I assume on a Bandsaw.

Bear

Looking Good can't wait for the rest ............. Like

Gary

Looks good but every time I have bought 1" or 1 1/4" they almost always are tuff,1/2"-3/4" works very well for tenderness most of the time,once in a blue moon I will get some that are tuff butt its rare,testing is fun and thanks for posting the pictures :emoji_sunglasses:

Looks very tasty. Would have thought that the 7hrs would have made them fairly tender.
Waiting for rd 2 :emoji_eye:

Hey John. Glad you posted this. Miss Linda and I were just considering slicing up a butt for pork steaks in the MES--cooked low and slow. I was thinking 3/4 inch thick slices would work just fine and with the low and slow should be reasonably tender.
POINT
Thanks
Gary

Had to close my eyes when you said Mrs Bears naked, but then realized you meant the rubbless meat. They do look good. Anxious for the next installment.

Thank You Jeff!!
LOL---No, not Mrs Bear!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good , love pork steaks . Got your moneys worth out of the grill already .

Thanks Rich!!
Yup, I think I got 9 slices out of this Butt.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Hey John. Glad you posted this. Miss Linda and I were just considering slicing up a butt for pork steaks in the MES--cooked low and slow. I was thinking 3/4 inch thick slices would work just fine and with the low and slow should be reasonably tender.
POINT
Thanks
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Yup---Low & Slow would be Great---Take your time.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I'm not sure I agree with the split on those steaks. It looks like yours it 75% bigger then the misses :emoji_sunglasses:. They do look good.

Point for sure
Chris

Looking Good can't wait for the rest ............. Like

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.
Part #2 coming soon.

Bear
Is that indoor grill really smokeless?

Absolutely.
Turn fan off---Smoke appears.
Turn Fan back on---Smoke gets sucked back into Grill & Disappears.

Bear

Looks good but every time I have bought 1" or 1 1/4" they almost always are tuff,1/2"-3/4" works very well for tenderness most of the time,once in a blue moon I will get some that are tuff butt its rare,testing is fun and thanks for posting the pictures :emoji_sunglasses:

Thank You Mike!!
Part #2 will show how to get these Tender.

Bear

Looks very tasty. Would have thought that the 7hrs would have made them fairly tender.
Waiting for rd 2 :emoji_eye:

Thank You Rider!!
7 hours doesn't seem to do much for Tenderness.
I might get Part #2 posted tomorrow, late morning.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky