Popping my cherry on a butt…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

englishsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Using one of Jeff’s recipes, I put this small butt on at about 6:30 this morning. Just waiting to hit 160, almost there..then into the pan, and cover it til 205.

Attachments

• AD5A7509-3338-4A4A-84BC-3E6F30D15680.jpeg
    AD5A7509-3338-4A4A-84BC-3E6F30D15680.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 22
Appears to be going well. Just give it enough time. Probe it before you put it in the pan so you know what that feels like, then start probing around 195°F IT. Be sure to probe multiple areas as there are several diffent muscles in there. Let it go till the probe just glides in nice an easy. Good luck and be sure to post a pic of the finished product :emoji_sunglasses:

It stalled just prior to 160, but finally got there. Now it’s in the pan and covered as per instructions, and I’ll wait for an alarm at 205…
Putting together the finishing sauce from the sticky on the forums, may as well try that too. Planning to use it on half the pulled pork, for a with/without comparison. My sister in law is with us, and ketchup is about as ‘spicy’ as she gets. My wife and I aren’t much better, but we do like flavors:)

Reactions: JLeonard
The stall wasn’t over, it’s still only at 165 according to the IRF, 172 according to the Traeger probe. I wanted to test to se e how far off the factory one was. It started 20 degrees off, but now it’s closer. So now we wait……..
Once the stall is over, does it heat at about the rate before the stall?

It stalled just prior to 160, but finally got there. Now it’s in the pan and covered as per instructions, and I’ll wait for an alarm at 205…
Putting together the finishing sauce from the sticky on the forums, may as well try that too. Planning to use it on half the pulled pork, for a with/without comparison. My sister in law is with us, and ketchup is about as ‘spicy’ as she gets. My wife and I aren’t much better, but we do like flavors:)
Next time, just go ahead and foil as soon as it hits the stall, it won't make any difference at all.
I personally don't foil my butts at all, I just bump the temp up to 275* as soon as it hits the stall.
You didn't mention what temp you're smoking it at. What ever temp you started out with once it's foiled you are no longer cooking low and slow you're steaming, so go ahead and bump the temp up to 275* to 300* it won't make one bit of difference, and it will speed things up drastically.

If you plan on holding it in a cooler covered with towels to keep it warm, pull it off the smoker when there is a slight resistance to the probe or when it hits 195* because it will keep cooking in the cooler.
If you take it to 205* then into a cooler to rest it will turn into mush unless you uncover it and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes to stop the cooking, then it can go into the cooler.

So far everything looks perfect, good job.

Dan

Next time, just go ahead and foil as soon as it hits the stall, it won't make any difference at all.
I personally don't foil my butts at all, I just bump the temp up to 275* as soon as it hits the stall.
You didn't mention what temp you're smoking it at. What ever temp you started out with once it's foiled you are no longer cooking low and slow you're steaming, so go ahead and bump the temp up to 275* to 300* it won't make one bit of difference, and it will speed things up drastically.

If you plan on holding it in a cooler covered with towels to keep it warm, pull it off the smoker when there is a slight resistance to the probe or when it hits 195* because it will keep cooking in the cooler.
If you take it to 205* then into a cooler to rest it will turn into mush unless you uncover it and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes to stop the cooking, then it can go into the cooler.

So far everything looks perfect, good job.

Dan
Ok thanks, I’ve stayed at about 240, it’s at 180ish now. 178/185- IRF/Traeger. Thanks for letting me know about the difference in temps to pull it.

It’s been hard work, time to rest

Attachments

• 93D7B67A-CF38-41CC-BCA0-3CD2903830C5.jpeg
    93D7B67A-CF38-41CC-BCA0-3CD2903830C5.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 19
Yum, that looks great.:emoji_sunglasses:

I highly recommend that you pick up a wireless thermometer, traditionally the thermo's that are on these units are anything but accurate.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Yum, that looks great.:emoji_sunglasses:

I highly recommend that you pick up a wireless thermometer, traditionally the thermo's that are on these units are anything but accurate.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:
I did, I got the Inkbird IRF 4s. I was curious about the difference between the two. By the end of the cook, the Traeger was reading about 7 degrees higher than the Inkbird.

Reactions: forktender
Never reported back on the results…the finishing sauce wasn’t received to well, too vinegary, but the pulled pork was really good.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky