Poaching eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I like poached eggs and can make them
Pretty consistently just in water. I’ve seen silicone egg pods recently popping up all over for poaching eggs so I thought why not use the silicone muffin cups for this since I already have them and they were way cheaper than the pods things being sold. So here ya go.

I tried this with and without spraying or oiling the cup. I’d recommend either spraying with Pam of brushing the inside with the oil of your choice.
What you’ll need is pan with a lid and your oiled muffin cups. You don’t need too much water in the pan or pot. Enough to not go dry during the cook time.
Bring water to boil. Reduce to simmer. Crack and egg into your oiled muffin cup. Season if you like. Carefully place in water. Cover and cook for 4-7 minutes. The egg in the photos was cooked for 6 minutes. Carefully remove. I used the masher in the photo to place the cup in and take it out.
You can do as many eggs as your pan or pot will fit.
5C2DA086-A4FB-4249-AFC7-64FCA7933C29.jpeg

3EC01EE4-D2E3-4096-8BFB-EE92A32F138A.jpeg

30627074-443A-4D83-BE29-34AC3634AAE8.jpeg

0115F8FE-00E8-4E98-AE67-F8F28890E7C2.jpeg

126CA578-61D6-4BF7-BAF3-A8BAC5274B3F.jpeg

117F200F-2B65-476E-ACE3-738B5C46EECC.jpeg

31C5FE96-6920-45A7-8AC2-F460009194F3.jpeg

Rather than spraying, I put a couple drops of veg oil in each cup and rub it around with a paper towel.

Now that is a good looking egg, Case!
I’m going to have to give that a try to go with my grits tomorrow morning!
Al

Great looking egg! I've done some poached eggs in the microwave in a small plastic cup with water and a drop of vinegar, and it comes out well. Might try this way. Did you add any vinegar to the water?

Great looking egg! I've done some poached eggs in the microwave in a small plastic cup with water and a drop of vinegar, and it comes out well. Might try this way. Did you add any vinegar to the water?
Nope straight water. The water doesn't go into the egg so there's no need for it. The reason some add vinegar to the water when poaching eggs is the acidity helps the egg white congeal. Since the egg isn't in contact with the water there would be no benefit. Honestly when I poach eggs in water I don't add vinegar.

Reactions: MJB05615
Nope straight water. The water doesn't go into the egg so there's no need for it. The reason some add vinegar to the water when poaching eggs is the acidity helps the egg white congeal. Since the egg isn't in contact with the water there would be no benefit. Honestly when I poach eggs in water I don't add vinegar.
That makes sense, and your method the eggs do not touch water. I think I'll be trying this as soon as I can get the silicone cups. When I used the splash of vinegar, I could taste it slightly and didn't like it that much. Now just gotta find those silicone cups. Thanks, I'll post once I do this. Great idea!

That makes sense, and your method the eggs do not touch water. I think I'll be trying this as soon as I can get the silicone cups. When I used the splash of vinegar, I could taste it slightly and didn't like it that much. Now just gotta find those silicone cups. Thanks, I'll post once I do this. Great idea!
We bought them on amazon, 24 pack for $8.99. Target, Bed bath and Beyond, Wally World and other retail stores also have them too.

Impressed! My Chicken's Egg production is slowing down but I still eat eggs 5 days a week. This Idea adds another option. Thanks...JJ

I've had these twice this week, including this morning. My favorite eggs are now a toss up between 6 minute poached eggs made this way, fluffy soft scrambled eggs (there's a simple way to do it), and medium boiled eggs with a gelled center. So yummy.

I tried this week, but only had jumbo eggs, and they were way too big for the mini silicone cups. So I've either gotta get regular eggs (large) or the bigger silicone cups. But I think the larger silicone cups may be too big. What size eggs were you using? Thanks Ray, and stay safe.

I see. So regular muffin sized, not mini muffin size. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I see. So regular muffin sized, not mini muffin size. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Yep regular muffin cups. We use large eggs and they just fit into the large ones.

You can 24 of them for less than $10. We bought ours on Amazon for $8.99. I have seen them at Target, Walmart, Bed bath, etc.

Easiest poached eggs I've ever made. I've used the microwave, swirling water bath, and small glass sherbet bowls in boiling water. Silicone muffin tins were by far pure genius! THANKS CASE!!!!!

View attachment 471251
View attachment 471252
I too have been having them more often now. Took out some home cured corned beef the other day and had conred beef and poached eggs. Was the best!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky