Planning Next Years Garden: Herbs Spices?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
Hi all,
I'm planning next years garden and was wondering what Herbs and Spices I can grow here.
I live in east-central Ohio. There is nothing that tastes better when you use fresh grown. I'm talking all herbs and spices; paprika, cayenne, mustard, etc. (if I can even grow these here). Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Ray

You should have no trouble at all with basil, cilantro, parsley- oregano and thyme take some work even down here. Jalapenos, cayennes, thai dragons are all hardy plants that grow easily. Try giving the nearest University extension Ag Center they can give you location-specific hints and advice. Soon enough ALX will drop by, he is the gardening expert. Give him a PM.

You can grow Dill, Rosemary and Sage also you can grow Horseradish & Garlic...

I wish I could grow something Now I have a hard time with the spices I'm tring to grow now like basil, (looks good) rosemary (it's a weed I think) cause it's not dead, tyme (still alive), Oregano (still there too), Chives (still going) but that about all I can manage to keep on the porch.

To plant a garden, I try to get it planted in April but then I have to watch for frost.
My wife just talked me into building her a shelf in front of a window that gets some sun and shade. She says that spices and herbs do better in pots and that we can grow them year round inside. I'm going to trust her on this one cause she has a very green thumb. But, she's from Az and like me doesn't know what will grow here best in Ohio.

Great advice John.I sent you a p.m. silverwolf.You should be able to grow all you mentioned-i do...I keep a daily log last 20 years and i have a good average of frosts etc....It also allows me to remember what works etc...The university extensions are great and ohio state is a good one....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky