(PICTURES ADDED)7th Annual South Florida Gathering 2017 (Nov 17-19)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been a crazy week here with work, hurricane unpacking, prepping for a bbq comp tomorrow...i'm gonna call Monday both places and see what the deal is

That does sound lovely! I dont mind some cold weather
I really hope you guys find a place after all that you've been through. Enjoy the camaraderie, food, and just a break from reality. Wish I lived closer.

Chris

I would love to unfortunately I believe that's the start of archery season here. My co-worker uses all his vacation time during the Oct - Nov time frame, and one of us has to be at the plant. Maybe next year I can make plans in advance. Thanks for the offer

Chris

Let us know about Tanglewood. If not I vote for Fisheating Creek.
Frank,glad you joining us, have missed camping with you.
Also we have added the tabletop Blackstone griddle to our cooking tools. Will make breakfast for a crowd easier. Keith are we doing sausae again?

John was finally able to get knee replaced the week of Irma, in fact we were locked in hospital during storm. He is moving slow but progressing very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: yogi727
According to this mornings paper, HH Park will be opening back up in a couple of weeks. They did cancel all events for Sept. & Oct., but are planning on opening the park in stages.

Apparently there are a lot of broken limbs that could fall on someone, and they need to be removed before they let anyone in. I'm sure the camping & RV area will be the first to get cleaned up.

Along with their buildings. I have a feeling that they will be operational in Nov. & it shouldn't affect the Gathering. Doug or Keith, I'm sure you should be able to reach someone at the park in the very near future, to confirm that they will be open & ready for guests in Nov.

Al

Last edited:
Good news Al, Thanks... was kinda thinking they would make progress by Nov. ...As I know you will... keep us posted of any new news ...

Carol... as for sausage/sticks and such ... I have a bunch of plywood pieces left from covering windows... was thinking of making a mini smokehouse to bring ... We will also have to order/get seasonings and casings ... was thinking just a smaller batch (about 4-6 whole butts) ... if nothing else... at least B'fast sausage ...

According to this mornings paper, HH Park will be opening back up in a couple of weeks. They did cancel all events for Sept. & Oct., but are planning on opening the park in stages.

Apparently there are a lot of broken limbs that could fall on someone, and they need to be removed before they let anyone in. I'm sure the camping & RV area will be the first to get cleaned up.

Along with their buildings. I have a feeling that they will be operational in Nov. & it shouldn't affect the Gathering. Doug or Keith, I'm sure you should be able to reach someone at the park in the very near future, to confirm that they will be open & ready for guests in Nov.

Al
That's great news! i'll try calling them today and see if i can get ahold of anyone. 

Good to hear they might have HH up and running by then, I would think 2+ months later they would be in much better shape. They will have lots of fire wood to sell to those that don't bring it.

Kieth, I love the snack sticks that are made, but it turns out to be a lot of work for you. So my humble opinion is to keep a cap on the total amount that is made. Maybe only a couple batches. Breakfast sausage is a great idea! I can contribute however you feel is best. I can buy a butt or two, i can break down the butts, cash, spices, cure #1 & #2, etc..... Just let me know how I can help. My main concern is you will not get to sit back and enjoy yourself.

Looks like it will be lateral transfer for me around the time of the event. I am still planning on going, but never know.

Doug I may have to throw my cooks into your smoker. With some of the bad afternoon storms we have had here, my smoker has taken a beating and needs a lot of repairs. Contemplating on doing repairs, rebuilding from scratch or getting a small trailer. Not sure at this time. Money is tight with the wife's Jeep build going on now.

Your right Carol. Been to long. Will be nice to just "sit back and enjoy yourself" as mentioned above. Keeping an eye and ear out and will be happy to provide any extra goods that may be needed.

Good to hear they might have HH up and running by then, I would think 2+ months later they would be in much better shape. They will have lots of fire wood to sell to those that don't bring it.

Kieth, I love the snack sticks that are made, but it turns out to be a lot of work for you. So my humble opinion is to keep a cap on the total amount that is made. Maybe only a couple batches. Breakfast sausage is a great idea! I can contribute however you feel is best. I can buy a butt or two, i can break down the butts, cash, spices, cure #1 & #2, etc..... Just let me know how I can help. My main concern is you will not get to sit back and enjoy yourself.

Looks like it will be lateral transfer for me around the time of the event. I am still planning on going, but never know.

Doug I may have to throw my cooks into your smoker. With some of the bad afternoon storms we have had here, my smoker has taken a beating and needs a lot of repairs. Contemplating on doing repairs, rebuilding from scratch or getting a small trailer. Not sure at this time. Money is tight with the wife's Jeep build going on now.
Sure, your more than welcome to use my smoker and that goes for anyone else at the event...let's load'er up! It makes for good pictures!

Jeramy - I would love to see a Boston Butt de-boning and/or breakdown demo....this is something i haven't quite mastered yet. I'll donate a butt or 2 for snack stick making, demo or anything else if we need meat. 

Forum Administrative Note: Today at Noon CST the forum may or may not go down because they are doing upgrades and switching to a new platform. I'm not sure if they made a general announcement that i might have missed but if not just wanted to let my people's know :)

OK.. now that the new platform is up and running we can start posting again...

Jeremy.. I don't mind making sticks.. actually I try to use it as a tutorial for those that have never made them before or even seen them made ...

Getting closer every day... I see PA is having their Gathering this weekend... So glad everything came together for them to get one up and running... I guarantee they will be holding one yearly from now on... that's how much fun these gatherings are... So those of you that have never attended one of these gatherings (no matter where it's held) and have been contemplating on going to one... Do yourself a favor and attend one... you'll be glad you did ... The knowledge at these events is unbelievable ..

I believe Charlotte will be making a ham and been soup with any of my left over Maple Bourbon Ham from Friday night for Saturday ...

Good to see we are up and running again. After this hurricane season we could all use some down time.
Keith, I'll be happy to help out with the meat sticks.
Craig

Down time? What's that? Must be nice having one of those cushy office jobs. Haven't had a day off this week and was called in this morning at 4:00... Cha Ching! :)
I'm with Craig though. Will be nice to relax a bit.

Frank,
Been a heck of a storm season for many of us this year.
This will make the time at the fall gathering that much sweeter. Got a chicken in the smoker for dinner tonight. Had left over smoked chicken salad in my plans for lunch, Ann snapped me back to reality, company coming over soon.
Craig

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, Glad to see the Forum Upgrade is done...now back to planning! :) I'm going to call HH today to see if they'll be open for our gathering.

Hopefully everyone is still a full-go for this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky