Pickerel Deep Fried

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Grande Cache Alberta
D3F1AC18-EABA-49E8-81E0-7D72140108CC.jpeg
After a quick rinse.
1019E8DF-DD0E-41F1-9225-266449C40A42.jpeg

Battered and protected from the oil with bread crumbs
3535B557-D308-46B5-BFCC-262F80A4F22D.jpeg

4DBD4995-D1E3-465A-B332-617945C21438.jpeg

63CDA482-27F2-440B-99CB-47985A9F0F46.png

Not the healthiest meal but a family favourite. Usually I use cod but my wife found a deal, 11 pounds for $99. We had 22 pounds not that long ago. Best freshwater white meat fish IMHO.

Tempting. We use to make our own wine but found we didn’t have enough self restraint. A glass of wine a day is supposed to be healthy, a bottle or two, not so much...

Fillets look great! Question though: Don't pickerel have "y-bones" like northern pike? Did you do any thing special to remove them before frying?
If you look at the first picture notice the split in the filets, runs from about halfway to the front of the filet, that is where the y bones were.

If you look at the first picture notice the split in the filets, runs from about halfway to the front of the filet, that is where the y bones were.
Ah, that's a neat job! You didn't lose much meat at all!

I used to catch a lot of northern pike when I lived in Minnesota. I never figured out how to get rid of the y bones without losing a lot of meat, so I ended up tossing them back. Your pickerel look very tasty!

Looks Great, Murray
Nice Job!
Like.
I used to catch small Pickerel in the 16" to 21" range, but they were so damn Bony, we only made Ground Fish Cakes with them.

Bear

I rather suspect that Murray is referring to “pickerel” in the Canadian sense, and that those are walleye fillets. Grass pickerel are long and skinny like Northern. (And I don’t think they’re particularly common in Alberta)

Reactions: pa42phigh
Looks Great, Murray
Nice Job!
Like.
I used to catch small Pickerel in the 16" to 21" range, but they were so damn Bony, we only made Ground Fish Cakes with them.

Bear
Thank you. There are a few species called pickerel, chain, grass and sauger that I know of. These guys that I cooked are also known as Walleye.

I rather suspect that Murray is referring to “pickerel” in the Canadian sense, and that those are walleye fillets. Grass pickerel are long and skinny like Northern. (And I don’t think they’re particularly common in Alberta)
Correct, that being said I’ll try any fish any time so long as I know what body of water and what country they come from. I never order fish of a menu though, two reasons, I don’t know where they came from and secondly they are usually overcooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky