" Part 2 the cook " Beef Short Ribs Char Siu style ( Chuck short ribs ) " Part 2 added "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Beef Short Ribs Char Siu style ( Chuck short ribs )

This is the start, I normally post the whole smoke/cook, but running out of time planning for the trip.

I know most think Char - Siu as pork , but this is me :emoji_wink:

( Char siu literally means "fork roasted" (siu being burn/roast and cha being fork, both noun and verb)

So started with 2 packs of chuck short ribs, they are stamped Family packs, they must think family of 1 per pack. And the price🤮 BUT I wanted them

Put 2 in a bag with just Soya sauce for my sweetie, just incase she will not eat the real ones I am doing. ( must keep the peace )
Made up my marinate ( char siu sauce ) did not add the red food colour ( later ) , but this is a great colour already.

DSC_6488.JPG DSC_6489.JPG
DSC_6490.JPG DSC_6491.JPG

Bagged them both up and into the fridge for the day . Will smoke tonight when I get in from work.
Probably serve with our egg rolls and some noodles or rice.

DSC_6492.JPG DSC_6493.JPG

I will be back

David

:emoji_musical_score: :emoji_musical_score: There should have been some Muzac to keep you busy until I got back :emoji_musical_score: :emoji_musical_score:

Ok I'm back from work and here we go with part 2 .

It was a cold one here today -11 " C " = ( 12.2 " F " ) thank god not much wind. So I decided to used the grill and pellet tube.
We finally got rid of that terrible green grass we had so far this winter :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_laughing: Second snow , this time 5"-6", temp going down to -20 "C " Saturday.
2.JPG
Got the grill going at 350 deg. to melt off the snow, not bad up on the deck, and closer to the door tonight.

4.JPG

My 5 and Monas 2 are just starting nicely. Have the 4 outside burners going so ribs in the middle over low temp burners.
Starting the noodles and the last of our egg rolls. ( will have to make more when we get back ) Boiled up and reduced the Char Siu leftover sauce.
The noodles are new for me . They are Shirataki noodles , like little rubbery noodles , rinse than fry to get the moisture out than add to what ever you want.
I just added toasted sesame seeds and an oil based zesty herb dressing, very nice. Our egg rolls in the oven to get hot ( they were deep fried when we made them, and than froze, so still had a little oil in the shell, so that helped in the oven cook.

Removed Monas Soya Sauce ribs, and covered to keep warm while I glazed up mine with the sauce.

3.JPG 5.JPG

9.JPG 11.JPG

6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG

Glazed both sides , look great, had the porch light on so pictures are ok sort of.

10.JPG

12.JPG

Plated with plum sauce on the side , starter plate, lol

13.JPG

14.JPG

The sauce soaked through very nice , and the flavour was great. Love it

15.JPG

And of coarse we love the egg rolls , time to make more.

16.JPG

So all done and yes I went back for more. The noodles were ok, Took a bit to get used to the texture , little different from reg. Ramen noodles.
But the sauce I added was good , and these noodles have no flavour but take on what ever you add to them.

The Beef short ribs were great, and 1 of my favorite meats to have. Mona loved hers and would not try mine , because she loves her soya sauce.
I really like the Char Siu and will do this again with other cuts of meat.

Thanks for following, been a day .
Thank You

David

Last edited:
Looking like a good start David. Got my cold 12-pack and extra large tub of buttered popcorn. In this one for the long haul.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Love the kalbi cut for dishes like this. In for the ride. Man it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the Sobeys on something.

Looks good so far. If I ever see thin cut ribs at a decent price again, I may have to try this. BTW, I do use the red food coloring, what the heck? Gives it a special appearance.

Very nice, we do a steady diet of those seared up tasty meat treats.....but we are in a holding pattern cause the propane just comes out in liquid form as it is to cold to do searing Q.....

Looking good David! I don't do food coloring either, makes no sense to me. RAY

Thanks Ray for the comment

All finished now, I did add the colour as it was in the recipe , but you add after the soaking, I use sometimes in foods like jalapeno jelly, I make it sort of red, as it normally would not be. And it is good for presentation, and for deserts for changing parts etc.

David

Looking like a good start David. Got my cold 12-pack and extra large tub of buttered popcorn. In this one for the long haul.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Hope your still up after the 12 pack and buttered popcorn,
Here it is , hope you enjoy looking as much as I did eating 2 plates of the ribs and egg rolls

David

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
Love the kalbi cut for dishes like this. In for the ride. Man it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the Sobeys on something.

Thanks Jeff for the comment

So it is up and posted,
We have always called the short ribs, and my favorite cut I think
Sobeys was started here in nova Scotia back in the early 1907 as a meat delivery with horse and buggy. Open first store in 1912
Started in Stellarton Nova Scotia.

David

Reactions: jcam222
Its just cruel to post the before pics without the finished shots!

Can't wait to see.

Dave

Yes the wait is over Dave
Thanks for the like and the comment

And yes very cruel, and I don't normally do that. Thought it would save time . No it did not , and just made a
little more confusing for me added more things later.

lol live and learn , even at my age

David

Reactions: Flatrate
so where are the pics David....lol waiting on this. Every time I do these ribs they are tough.....hoping you give some insight.

Looks good so far. If I ever see thin cut ribs at a decent price again, I may have to try this. BTW, I do use the red food coloring, what the heck? Gives it a special appearance.

Thanks Mike for the like and the comment

All finished , I love them . and sometimes I can't wait for a decent price . Just have to have.

I use the colouring when I think it needs it also, like in jalapeno jellies a touch of red, or my relish , touch of green . Or what ever.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky