PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes I believe the ribs do absorb some of the juices back into the meat, because when I tried the same method taking the membrane off, the ribs were not as juicy. Both myself & my wife concluded that the only way to smoke ribs is with the membrane still on. Even if you don't foil, the membrane peels right off very easily when the ribs are done. Check out the other rib thread in my signature, those were unfoiled & juicy as can be. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/naked-ribs-no-rub-no-sauce.263432/. The glossy finish comes from finishing the ribs on a super hot grill with BBQ sauce on them, or maybe it's my BBQ sauce recipe. If you want it, I'll send it to you.
Al

Al, I would love your bbq sauce recipe. Having a hard time finding one I like. I'd appreciate it!

Al, I would love your bbq sauce recipe. Having a hard time finding one I like. I'd appreciate it!

Here you go:
Al’s BBQ Sauce

4 CU Ketchup ( 1 – 44 OZ Bottle Heinz Ketchup )

2 CU KC Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce ( 1 – 28 OZ Bottle KC Original )

1 ½ CU Apple cider vinegar

1/2 CU Molasses

2 TBS Worcestershire sauce

4 TBS lemon juice ( Juice of 1 Meyers lemon )

1 TSP Hot sauce (Frank’s or Louisiana)

1 CU Raw sugar

1 TSP Cayenne pepper

2 TBS Granulated garlic

2 TBS Fine ground black pepper

Instructions:

Put ketchup, vinegar, & molasses in pan & heat, then add each ingredient in order.

Stir continuously until well blended.

Simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour or put in smoker for a couple of hours.

Let me know how you like it!
Al

Al, do you keep a water pan in your smoker the entire length of the smoking?

Yes I do!
Al

Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling.

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor.

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

Ribs go on the foil meat side down.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

It's actually so full of juice that it's bulging out.

Now just a little water on the bones.

Into the smoker.

I guess Judy is getting ready to eat some ribs!! Are they done yet??

Checking them after about 1 hour in the foil.

193! Perfect!! Now for Al's famous BBQ sauce.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

OK there done, lets just check the final IT.

That's what were looking for. Perfect ribs again! WOO HOO!!

Great bark, super juicy, but not quite fall off the bone.

Here's the money shot!!!

We stood at the cutting board eating ribs. Never got them on a plate.

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Thank-you for looking and happy smoking!

Al

Al, those ribs look insanely delicious!! I prefer my ribs to be in between yours and fall off the bone. I like mine to stick to the bone, but pull cleanly off the bone when devoured. This is sometimes hit or miss for me unfortunately. What smoker temperature and IT should I be shooting for to achieve this goal more consistently?

The real issue is that my stomach gets the best of me and I need to eat immediately, so I just say "Good enough." LOL

In addition to St. Louis ribs, I'm also going to be smoking a Tomahawk Ribeye right after. I love my ribeyes, but wish they could be more tender, so I figured smoking it could only enhance the flavor and tenderness. We'll see how that plays out .
IMG_20200503_212535_958.jpg

Al, those ribs look insanely delicious!! I prefer my ribs to be in between yours and fall off the bone. I like mine to stick to the bone, but pull cleanly off the bone when devoured. This is sometimes hit or miss for me unfortunately. What smoker temperature and IT should I be shooting for to achieve this goal more consistently?

The real issue is that my stomach gets the best of me and I need to eat immediately, so I just say "Good enough." LOL

In addition to St. Louis ribs, I'm also going to be smoking a Tomahawk Ribeye right after. I love my ribeyes, but wish they could be more tender, so I figured smoking it could only enhance the flavor and tenderness. We'll see how that plays out .View attachment 443771

That is a fine looking ribeye.. As far as your smoker temp goes you can be anywhere between 225-300. Obviously at the higher temps the ribs won't take as long to cook. I would think your final IT would be about 200, for the texture your looking for. At 200 your ribs should be probe tender, but still stay intact. I don't know exactly what texture you are looking for, but 200 should get you pretty close. Hope this helps!
Al

Reactions: SmokeyJeremy101
Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling.

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor.

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

Into the smoker.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

Here's the money shot!!!

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Al
Tried this Al-----the best ever! Thanks. I call it the 3-1-2G method 3 hrs- 1 hr- 2 min on grill Thanks for all you do on this forum. Charlie

Tried this Al-----the best ever! Thanks. I call it the 3-1-2G method 3 hrs- 1 hr- 2 min on grill Thanks for all you do on this forum. Charlie

Your welcome Charlie!
I’m glad your ribs turned out so well!
Al

thx for the tutorial Al. of all the things i smoke, my ribs are the thing i feel need improvement. Others say they luv em but i want them BETTER. yours look great. i have 1 question. when you sauce em, and put them on the grill, do you leave them meat some up the whole time. Looks like with that great bark they would have to be "flipped". thx again.

Reactions: SmokinAl
thx for the tutorial Al. of all the things i smoke, my ribs are the thing i feel need improvement. Others say they luv em but i want them BETTER. yours look great. i have 1 question. when you sauce em, and put them on the grill, do you leave them meat some up the whole time. Looks like with that great bark they would have to be "flipped". thx again.

Leave them meat side up the whole time on the grill, I wait until the sauce is bubbling then take them off, on a hot grill with the lid closed your only looking at 1-2 minutes. Plus the bone side down disintegrates the membrane.
Al

Al

Long time lurker, new poster. I found your method about a year ago and swear by it, however, I cook strictly by temperature. I have meat probes and my old electric smoker (which is being replaced by a Recteq!) rocks steady at 250. My ribs are usually ready around 2+ hours. It really depends on the smoker temp and rib thickness

Regardless, awesome method and it has not failed me yet.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Long time lurker, new poster. I found your method about a year ago and swear by it, however, I cook strictly by temperature. I have meat probes and my old electric smoker (which is being replaced by a Recteq!) rocks steady at 250. My ribs are usually ready around 2+ hours. It really depends on the smoker temp and rib thickness

Regardless, awesome method and it has not failed me yet.

Thank you, I’m always happy to hear that I helped someone.
Al

Tried your method tonight and they were delicious. Thank you for sharing your expertise! After wrapping in foil with the meat side down, do you leave them meat side down when cooking, or turn the tinfoil wrap over?

Last edited:

Here it is ready to go.

Into the smoker.

Here's the money shot!!!

Al
Hi Al, I am brand new to smoking and love this post. I have two questions. One: do you remove the foil when you are burning off the membrane? Two: my grill only goes up to about 600°. Will that be hot enough? Thank you

Hi Al, I am brand new to smoking and love this post. I have two questions. One: do you remove the foil when you are burning off the membrane? Two: my grill only goes up to about 600°. Will that be hot enough? Thank you
Yes take the foil off before you put it on the grill, and 600 would be great. Good luck!!
Al

Al

Al, I would like to add another ‘ thank you!’ for your great write up. I have used it as a guide the last several times and just settled in on the best approach for us. It turned out amazing! Just started out with a favorite rub, smoker at 225. Did a 2-3-1 approach. Wrapped with squeeze butter, honey and a BBQ sauce we like. I even observed the membrane bulging you mentioned. When I removed it from foil, it was just at 195 and probe tender. Finished as you outlined…amazing! Thank you again! Here are a couple pictures
42623CB2-02C1-4C2F-9258-373019CF13FB.jpeg

Just coming out of the foil

9DAA0971-9B0F-4DBF-A24D-8913CE25DB4D.jpeg

Grilling up some onions for the beans

CC95CDA6-2446-4A7E-A476-8060C198633E.jpeg

All plated up.

Reactions: txflyguy
Al, I would like to add another ‘ thank you!’ for your great write up. I have used it as a guide the last several times and just settled in on the best approach for us. It turned out amazing! Just started out with a favorite rub, smoker at 225. Did a 2-3-1 approach. Wrapped with squeeze butter, honey and a BBQ sauce we like. I even observed the membrane bulging you mentioned. When I removed it from foil, it was just at 195 and probe tender. Finished as you outlined…amazing! Thank you again! Here are a couple pictures
View attachment 636540
Just coming out of the foil

View attachment 636541
Grilling up some onions for the beans

View attachment 636542

All plated up.
That is fantastic!
Your ribs look amazing!
It makes me feel so good that I have helped someone else, as other’s have helped me.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky