PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Putting the ribs on shoulder is done.

Attachments

• IMAG1163.jpg
    IMAG1163.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 64
Pulled the ribs right around 200. One has a rub the other has some Sweet Baby Rays (wife's favorite) on them.

Attachments

• IMAG1166.jpg
    IMAG1166.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 63
As long as the pit temp is the same it doesn't matter if it's 20 or 90 outside. If it's 225 in the smoker the outside temps will only affect the amount of fuel you use. So if it's hot outside you will use less fuel to maintain 225 degrees, but the cook time won't change.
Al

Al,
Tried your method for the first time today, and WOW! It worked great! I didn't cook as long as I thought I would have to (about 4 1/2 hours, not counting time on grill). I use an Oklahoma Joe's Highland, and am still trying to get the technique perfected. Anyway, I did tweak the recipe a bit (everybody does things a bit different) by occasionally spraying some apple juice to keep the ribs moist. I started about 9 am with a basket of charcoal and a chunk of hickory. Was able to keep the temps around 225-230 for some time. Payed more attention to the internal temperature. I had to pull the ribs for the wrapping in foil in stages, because of temperature differences from right to left (was doing four racks). When the last one was wrapped with the butter, sugar and seasonings, I cooked for an hour and a half. When they were getting close to being done, you could smell the ribs on the porch! Checked to make sure they were at the right temp, then transferred them to my Holland (doesn't get as hot as your Weber, but still does a fantastic job. Slapped on the Sweet Baby Ray's (2x). Ribs came out fantastic! Check out the attached pics.

These are probably the best ribs I have ever done. Cooking these by temperature makes sense to me...I've been doing things that way with the Holland for years. Makes more sense than trying to guess whether it is done or not. Wrapping them in foil with the butter, spice and sugar made a huge difference.

I might make a few tweaks, such as using a mop, and maybe pulling the ribs for the grill a bit earlier, since my grill does not get as hot. I would like to get a bit more carmelizing done, as long as I can keep them from drying out. Juiciest ribs I ever did. Got so many compliments from the family. That makes all the work worth it.

Thank you for that wonderful recipe. I have been hoping for years to finally cook some really good ribs. Feels good!

Attachments

• Going on the Holland.jpg
    Going on the Holland.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Ribs with leftover juice.jpg
    Ribs with leftover juice.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Beautiful Ribs.jpg
    Beautiful Ribs.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 60
Al,
Tried your method for the first time today, and WOW! It worked great! I didn't cook as long as I thought I would have to (about 4 1/2 hours, not counting time on grill). I use an Oklahoma Joe's Highland, and am still trying to get the technique perfected. Anyway, I did tweak the recipe a bit (everybody does things a bit different) by occasionally spraying some apple juice to keep the ribs moist. I started about 9 am with a basket of charcoal and a chunk of hickory. Was able to keep the temps around 225-230 for some time. Payed more attention to the internal temperature. I had to pull the ribs for the wrapping in foil in stages, because of temperature differences from right to left (was doing four racks). When the last one was wrapped with the butter, sugar and seasonings, I cooked for an hour and a half. When they were getting close to being done, you could smell the ribs on the porch! Checked to make sure they were at the right temp, then transferred them to my Holland (doesn't get as hot as your Weber, but still does a fantastic job. Slapped on the Sweet Baby Ray's (2x). Ribs came out fantastic! Check out the attached pics.

These are probably the best ribs I have ever done. Cooking these by temperature makes sense to me...I've been doing things that way with the Holland for years. Makes more sense than trying to guess whether it is done or not. Wrapping them in foil with the butter, spice and sugar made a huge difference.

I might make a few tweaks, such as using a mop, and maybe pulling the ribs for the grill a bit earlier, since my grill does not get as hot. I would like to get a bit more carmelizing done, as long as I can keep them from drying out. Juiciest ribs I ever did. Got so many compliments from the family. That makes all the work worth it.

Thank you for that wonderful recipe. I have been hoping for years to finally cook some really good ribs. Feels good!

I'm so happy to hear your ribs came out so well.
Now you can do it every time you smoke ribs, and tweaking the recipe to your own taste will make it YOUR rib recipe!!!
Nice job!
The ribs look fantastic!
Al

Just leave the membrane on, and when the ribs are done, it will come off real easily before you cut them up.
Al
Al, just wanted to let you know this worked great - thank you for the advice. Ribs were gone before I could get any pics, so I'll call it a success.

I used this method for a local competition. It had been 8+ years since I did ribs since my wife doesn't care for them. I was afraid that I would mess up but I got first place! I was the overall winner as well. It was just ribs and butts.

I beat three BBQ local restaurants. I wasn't a surprise because I can't stomach their food. People rave about these three, but our family was unable to finish our meals, so we never went back. This goes for all three. Then again, I haven't had good BBQ from a restaurant north Virginia.

I used this method for a local competition. It had been 8+ years since I did ribs since my wife doesn't care for them. I was afraid that I would mess up but I got first place! I was the overall winner as well. It was just ribs and butts.

I beat three BBQ local restaurants. I wasn't a surprise because I can't stomach their food. People rave about these three, but our family was unable to finish our meals, so we never went back. This goes for all three. Then again, I haven't had good BBQ from a restaurant north Virginia.

That is fantastic!!!
Congratulations on a job well done!!!
1st place in ribs & the overall winner too!!!! WOW!!!!
That is just awesome!!!
Al

Al,

Just registered to express my gratitude to you sharing your recipe, and supporting it like you have. Not my first rodeo but this procedure/recipe produced just the bite I've been looking for! A thousand thanks. :)

Al,

Just registered to express my gratitude to you sharing your recipe, and supporting it like you have. Not my first rodeo but this procedure/recipe produced just the bite I've been looking for! A thousand thanks. :)

I'm very happy that I could help you!
Al

Haven't posted on here in a long time, but just signed back on to see if anyone had any new ideas on how to cook ribs. I'm going to give these a try tomorrow!

Haven't posted on here in a long time, but just signed back on to see if anyone had any new ideas on how to cook ribs. I'm going to give these a try tomorrow!

Good luck Sam!
Let us know how they turn out!
Al

New to smoking having only smoked a brisket and chicken breasts the last 2 weeks. Definitely trying this this sunday. Will post result.

Assuming having a charcoal grill instead of a gas should burn the membrane off just as well.

Great thread AL! I just ordered a thermapop today after going thru this thread and unfortunately it won't show up until Monday. I've never been really good at ribs but am excited to try this. I will do the chuck tacos this weekend and ribs next weekend.

Hi Al. I've followed your advice for a long time. You're the man! I'd like for you to please tel me again how to do the ribs (Non Foil). I did it once, lost your recipe/method and would like to try it again. Any info you can smoke my way would be greatly appreciated Al.

Great way to do it Al. I have been doing something similar for years on different smokers and BBQ's. I just did 6 racks on Tuesday at work for everyone and they were a hit as always.

Hi Al. I've followed your advice for a long time. You're the man! I'd like for you to please tel me again how to do the ribs (Non Foil). I did it once, lost your recipe/method and would like to try it again. Any info you can smoke my way would be greatly appreciated Al.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, all you have to do is go to the first page of this thread and he explains it all.

Hi Al. Well thanks to you, I have to cook my ribs to your specifications. I tried your method on the 4th of July, and my wife said that these were the best ribs that she has had. And I agree with her. I am smoking 2 racks as I write this. Thanks for all you do to help us newbies

New to smoking having only smoked a brisket and chicken breasts the last 2 weeks. Definitely trying this this sunday. Will post result.

Assuming having a charcoal grill instead of a gas should burn the membrane off just as well.

Yes that is correct!
Al

Great thread AL! I just ordered a thermapop today after going thru this thread and unfortunately it won't show up until Monday. I've never been really good at ribs but am excited to try this. I will do the chuck tacos this weekend and ribs next weekend.

I'm sure you will do fine!
Al

Here is a thread with no foil ribs.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/naked-ribs-no-rub-no-sauce.263432/
Al

Great way to do it Al. I have been doing something similar for years on different smokers and BBQ's. I just did 6 racks on Tuesday at work for everyone and they were a hit as always.

That is great to hear!
Al

Hi Al. Well thanks to you, I have to cook my ribs to your specifications. I tried your method on the 4th of July, and my wife said that these were the best ribs that she has had. And I agree with her. I am smoking 2 racks as I write this. Thanks for all you do to help us newbies

Your very welcome!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky