PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks! You did tell me about the ThermoPop before but the place where I buy that sort of que gadget had none so I bought one of those expensive 3 sec or less celebrated pens. I will get the ThermoPop.
I have been going from the end between the bones the reading is almost instant but never consistent. I’ll look
For the thickest part and stick it there next rib smoke thanks Doug.
I actually turn out exelent ribs according to every one around here weather I do the 3-2-1 or not. But I am always trying to improve.
In fact every thing I turn out of my smokers is second to none not bragging , well maybe just a little lol, but I have been smoking meats for 20 years do I should be good at it. I will say that I didn’t get consistent until I started cooking by internal temps.

Randy,

You should be bragging Randy, I feel the same way about my smoked food. The crap you get in a restaurant just sucks, & the neighborhood BBQ Guru around here puts out crap too. I don't invite too many folks over for my BBQ, but when they get the invite they think they just won the lottery. The conversation around the pool is always "Have you been to Al & Judy's for BBQ? Well they make the best & if you get a chance to go, you better not miss out! I have had friends ask me to make something for their party & if they buy the meat I just do it for free. It's no big deal & I always take out a nice portion for Judy & I. Plus having an excuse to run the smoker is a good day for me in my opinion!
Al

I used your method on some spare ribs last night and they came out perfect. I like a little bite and pull on my ribs too and not fall off the bone like they were steamed. I think your real secret is leaving the membrane on and grilling at the end, Man they were just the way I like them. Thanks for sharing AL !

HT

Thanks HT!
I'm glad they turned out so well for you!
I'm sure there will be many more racks to come!
Al

Well I know what I'm doing this weekend. Perfect Ribs.
Just fired up the smoker yesterday for the first time this season and did a Boston Butt. Did a pair of butts last year. That's pretty much all I've done with the exception of a brisket that I took off too soon because I could no longer keep my eyes open. (started too late) Finished my smoker build towards the end of last summer. Finished enough to use anyway. Still needs some finishing touches and paint.

We haven't had good ribs in years, since we moved from FL to MO. I don't think I've ever made good spare or BB ribs myself. Best we've had was made in FL by old black guys from AL and/or GA. Not quite FOTB but tender and the bone does come clean. Most of them sold on the side of the road. Can't wait to be able to do this myself. I don't have a thin tipped thermo but I do have one that reads at the tip so hopefully that will work.

Well I know what I'm doing this weekend. Perfect Ribs.
Just fired up the smoker yesterday for the first time this season and did a Boston Butt. Did a pair of butts last year. That's pretty much all I've done with the exception of a brisket that I took off too soon because I could no longer keep my eyes open. (started too late) Finished my smoker build towards the end of last summer. Finished enough to use anyway. Still needs some finishing touches and paint.

We haven't had good ribs in years, since we moved from FL to MO. I don't think I've ever made good spare or BB ribs myself. Best we've had was made in FL by old black guys from AL and/or GA. Not quite FOTB but tender and the bone does come clean. Most of them sold on the side of the road. Can't wait to be able to do this myself. I don't have a thin tipped thermo but I do have one that reads at the tip so hopefully that will work.

A thin tipped ThermoPop makes it real easy to get a good temp read, but you should be fine, you just may have to move it around a little to get a good reading.
Good luck!
Al

Looks great Al. Can’t wait to give it a try.

Thanks Kade!
Looking forward to seeing some photo's of your ribs!
Al

I live in the boonies in flyover country so all that's available here for thermometers is whatever walmart and grocery stores have and that ain't much. My wife works at a retirement home as a cook and has brought a few home from work of this style. They're about a 5 second read.
113-t125_large.jpg

She says that little dimple marks how far you need to insert it and one that she brought home from work has the dimple right out at the tip so hopefully I can make that work. If not, I'll probe it, flex it, pull a little chunk of meat off, twist/pull a bone.

Another thermometer the wife brought home doesn't have the dimple so who knows on that one. I might heat up a little water or test them on some ribeyes tonight and see which one I can get a good reading off of with the tip. I do plan on buying a thin tipped one. Probably the thermopop as I can't afford a hundred dollar one at the moment. I just spent that at the grocery store and was using one of those little bitty shopping carts. LOL Tiny store and most things are overpriced but they had a heckuva 3 day sale this week. Cinco de Mayo and start of the grilling season around here.

For the smoker, I got a couple racks of baby backs, a salmon filet and a whole pork loin for less than $40. Might have to cut that 2 foot long pc of meat in 1/2 or 1/3. Cuban sandwiches are another thing I miss from FL so that's what some of the loin will be for. Just recently bought a slicer and I think the same one as you Al, based on a partial pic of yours I saw. Chef's Choice 615. Works pretty decent for the price and we do like our sammies around here.

I live in the boonies in flyover country so all that's available here for thermometers is whatever walmart and grocery stores have and that ain't much. My wife works at a retirement home as a cook and has brought a few home from work of this style. They're about a 5 second read.
113-t125_large.jpg

She says that little dimple marks how far you need to insert it and one that she brought home from work has the dimple right out at the tip so hopefully I can make that work. If not, I'll probe it, flex it, pull a little chunk of meat off, twist/pull a bone.

Another thermometer the wife brought home doesn't have the dimple so who knows on that one. I might heat up a little water or test them on some ribeyes tonight and see which one I can get a good reading off of with the tip. I do plan on buying a thin tipped one. Probably the thermopop as I can't afford a hundred dollar one at the moment. I just spent that at the grocery store and was using one of those little bitty shopping carts. LOL Tiny store and most things are overpriced but they had a heckuva 3 day sale this week. Cinco de Mayo and start of the grilling season around here.

For the smoker, I got a couple racks of baby backs, a salmon filet and a whole pork loin for less than $40. Might have to cut that 2 foot long pc of meat in 1/2 or 1/3. Cuban sandwiches are another thing I miss from FL so that's what some of the loin will be for. Just recently bought a slicer and I think the same one as you Al, based on a partial pic of yours I saw. Chef's Choice 615. Works pretty decent for the price and we do like our sammies around here.

Hi there and welcome!

Be sure to test that thermometer for accurracy. 212F for boiling water and such. This will let you know how off it is.
Also if the thermometer gets you in the ball park you can always just use a tooth pic to test for tenderness. That should work if you can't get the temps right on or have issues getting a super accurate read.

Best of luck!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing, I'm sure it will be good!
Al

This is an old post but one I don’t remember seeing. I was wondering where your Lang was. Really good post Al, the ribs look great. Oh and I have a temp pen like the one your using in the pictures.
Randy,

This is an old post but one I don’t remember seeing. I was wondering where your Lang was. Really good post Al, the ribs look great. Oh and I have a temp pen like the one your using in the pictures.
Randy,

This is an old thread, and I didn't have my Lang when I wrote this. I have also switched to using a ThermoPop for taking the temps. It really works better than the more expensive ThermaPen!
Al

I figured as much I know you wouldn’t ditch the Lang. Do you ever use the WSM anymore? I’m getting a thermoPop.

Randy,

Yea Randy I use the WSM once in a while if I'm doing an all night smoke. With the Guru, it's a breeze.
But if I have the time I like to use the Lang & go hot & fast! Put a 9 lb. butt on at 6:00AM & it's done for dinner.
I think you will like the ThermoPop!
Al

Oh it doesn't take up that much space, but I have it sitting way out in the back yard. I would like to have it closer, but I'm in the same boat, just don't have any more space close to the house.
Al

I have thought about moving to the country but I’m spoiled with the conveniences of suburbia.

Randy,

Well this is the last time I'm moving, the only way I'm leaving this house is if they carry me out!
Al

Well this is the last time I'm moving, the only way I'm leaving this house is if they carry me out!
Al
I hear that! This is a big house 3 levels,3500 square feet loaded with furnishings, plus a 3 car garage loaded with many wood working machines and that shad that looks like a play house is 12’ high 9’wide and 14’ long it’s also loaded with gardening supplies and equipment, a lawn mower and a snow blower plus all sorts of out side Christmas decorations and other stuff. Then ther is the 12’ x26’ deck with a table and chair set a 10’ gazebo with a table and chair set and a 400 square foot patio with a table and chair set, two smokers and two grills. There is no way I want to move all this stuff. This is most likely my last home as well. Another reason I don’t buy a stick burner is that I would need a steady supply of wood. I like being able to use many different kinds of wood for different foods I don’t see that happening with a stick burner. My sister has a store/ gas station/ restaurant in a little country town up north. She wants me to smoke, brisket, butts, ribs and other stuff for her restaurant. I may do that if she will buy me a stick burner.

Randy,

Al

I could find a place for sale up here, but you might have to shovel a path to your smoker in the Winter!!:eek:

Bear

I could find a place for sale up here, but you might have to shovel a path to your smoker in the Winter!!:eek:

Bear

Sorry Bear!
Al doesn't shovel snow anymore, the last time I shoveled snow I was 20 years old. Didn't like it then & absolutely would not like it now. Heck I don't even have a winter jacket or boots. I probably wouldn't leave the house between October & May!
Al

20 years old wish I could say that. My mother and I lived in Texas until she married
a Norwegian and moved us to Chicago then to Minnesota the refrigerator of the USA, 66 years ago and I have never made friends with the ungodly cold and snow up to my neck for 8 months out of every year,
there is no place I would rather be about 1 month out of the year.
There is always the possibility of buying a second home some place warm.

Randy,

20 years old wish I could say that. My mother and I lived in Texas until she married
a Norwegian and moved us to Chicago then to Minnesota the refrigerator of the USA, 66 years ago and I have never made friends with the ungodly cold and snow up to my neck for 8 months out of every year,
there is no place I would rather be about 1 month out of the year.
There is always the possibility of buying a second home some place warm.

Randy,

Plenty of cheap housing all over the south Randy, as long as you stay away from the coast.
No state tax in Florida & prices for food, elec., & gas etc. are cheap.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky