PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Chris!
I guess there are a lot of people like me who struggled with getting their ribs right.
I hope I helped a few.
Al

My family never cared for the fall off the bone ribs either. I followed this recipe and they came out absolutely perfect! This is definitely my new way of making ribs! Thanks for sharing Al!

My family never cared for the fall off the bone ribs either. I followed this recipe and they came out absolutely perfect! This is definitely my new way of making ribs! Thanks for sharing Al!

Your very welcome!
I'm glad I could help!
Al

This does work!!!
I did a rack of St Louis cut in half, little over 3 hours at 275 they temped at 197. Some pull to them, just how I like them. Opted for no foil. So good!!!

Reactions: daricksta
This does work!!!
I did a rack of St Louis cut in half, little over 3 hours at 275 they temped at 197. Some pull to them, just how I like them. Opted for no foil. So good!!!

Glad to hear they turned out so well for you!
Al

I rarely do Babyback ribs but decided to do some for this evening. Going to try this way. Love the 3/2/1 for country spares, but truthfully never make it the entire 2 or 1 since I also poke em for an IT reading and they are usually done pretty early.

This is a real newbie thing of me to admit but, I just figured out that everything in your signature line was a link. I'm glad I figured that out! Great write up! I've thought about regulating cook time by temp for ribs in the past but thought that the bones would make it inaccurate or difficult. I'm definitely going to give this a try next time I do ribs! Those look great!

killed it! Got to 150ish and foiled. Added a bit of butter and had two racks - so two different sauces including one that was a locally made haberno honey - OMG. Foiled upside down as you suggested and pulled at 190-193 depending on where i poked. Had the Grill up to 350 and dropped them on - Asta La Vista membrane! Love doing it that way. Coulda shoulda left it on the grill a couple more minutes to get some more bark, but rice, broccoli and beans were ready - so I pulled em. Smaller rack had a bit of tug off the bone - larger rack was fall of the bone...nice combination honestly. I'll rinse later repeat this process and likely do more babyback ribs moving forward. Total cook time - 4hrs 15 mins.
IMG_4351.JPG

Your the MAN SmokinAl!!!

This is a real newbie thing of me to admit but, I just figured out that everything in your signature line was a link. I'm glad I figured that out! Great write up! I've thought about regulating cook time by temp for ribs in the past but thought that the bones would make it inaccurate or difficult. I'm definitely going to give this a try next time I do ribs! Those look great!

killed it! Got to 150ish and foiled. Added a bit of butter and had two racks - so two different sauces including one that was a locally made haberno honey - OMG. Foiled upside down as you suggested and pulled at 190-193 depending on where i poked. Had the Grill up to 350 and dropped them on - Asta La Vista membrane! Love doing it that way. Coulda shoulda left it on the grill a couple more minutes to get some more bark, but rice, broccoli and beans were ready - so I pulled em. Smaller rack had a bit of tug off the bone - larger rack was fall of the bone...nice combination honestly. I'll rinse later repeat this process and likely do more babyback ribs moving forward. Total cook time - 4hrs 15 mins.View attachment 362425

Beautiful ribs!

Looks real good, I’ll bet they taste as good as they look.

Randy,

Thanks a lot fellas!
I appreciate the kind words, and Doug, your ribs look fantastic!
Great job!
Al

Your the MAN SmokinAl!!!

killed it! Got to 150ish and foiled. Added a bit of butter and had two racks - so two different sauces including one that was a locally made haberno honey - OMG. Foiled upside down as you suggested and pulled at 190-193 depending on where i poked. Had the Grill up to 350 and dropped them on - Asta La Vista membrane! Love doing it that way. Coulda shoulda left it on the grill a couple more minutes to get some more bark, but rice, broccoli and beans were ready - so I pulled em. Smaller rack had a bit of tug off the bone - larger rack was fall of the bone...nice combination honestly. I'll rinse later repeat this process and likely do more babyback ribs moving forward. Total cook time - 4hrs 15 mins.View attachment 362425

Beautiful ribs!

Looks real good, I’ll bet they taste as good as they look.

Randy,

Thanks a lot fellas!
I appreciate the kind words, and Doug, your ribs look fantastic!
Great job!
Al

Al what is the trick to getting a reliable reading on those ribs? I don’t seem to get anything consistent using a 3sec temp pen.
Randy,

Honestly, I really don't know what to tell you. I take the temp in the middle of the rack & sometimes have to move it a couple of times to stay away from the bones. Lately I have been using a ThermoPop. They have a real thin probe needle, and it seems easier to get an accurate reading.
Al

Honestly, I really don't know what to tell you. I take the temp in the middle of the rack & sometimes have to move it a couple of times to stay away from the bones. Lately I have been using a ThermoPop. They have a real thin probe needle, and it seems easier to get an accurate reading.
Al
Agreed - find a meaty part away from bones. Get 2 or 3 quick readings. Don't dwell too much - close is good :)

I think Doug has it nailed. Even if your smoking a butt & take a bunch of readings all over the butt, your going to get some discrepancies. So just get into the thickest part of the ribs & use that as your temp guide.
Al

Thanks! You did tell me about the ThermoPop before but the place where I buy that sort of que gadget had none so I bought one of those expensive 3 sec or less celebrated pens. I will get the ThermoPop.
I have been going from the end between the bones the reading is almost instant but never consistent. I’ll look
For the thickest part and stick it there next rib smoke thanks Doug.
I actually turn out exelent ribs according to every one around here weather I do the 3-2-1 or not. But I am always trying to improve.
In fact every thing I turn out of my smokers is second to none not bragging , well maybe just a little lol, but I have been smoking meats for 20 years do I should be good at it. I will say that I didn’t get consistent until I started cooking by internal temps.

Randy,

I used your method on some spare ribs last night and they came out perfect. I like a little bite and pull on my ribs too and not fall off the bone like they were steamed. I think your real secret is leaving the membrane on and grilling at the end, Man they were just the way I like them. Thanks for sharing AL !

HT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky