Pecan Crusted Duck Patties with Cumberland Sauce, garlic wilted spinach, wild rice, Butter buns and side salad with strawberry vinegrette

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been wanting to do this one for a while now. Finally decided to pull the trigger.

I had a gallon bag of duck breasts from my hunting trip to Kansas. Did not vacseal them, just in a ziplock and threw them on the top shelf in the freezer to be cooked soon. Well, soon is now!
IMG_20230304_181734.jpg

IMG_20230304_181642.jpg

Home run food nirvana! The bitter/sweet, savory/tangy cumberland sauce was the perfect sauce to go with the toasted pecan and the seasoned duck patties. The entire plate was a symphony of flavor. The bitterness from the wilted spinach balanced the sweetness from the sauce. The earthy notes in the wild rice brought the wild taste forward in the duck patties. And the wine -a 10 year aged Valpolicella made by my Cousin- tied the entire plate together.
IMG_20230304_181913.jpg

Oh- and can't forget about the homemade butter buns! Those were stellar as well.

Was a great evening to dine outside! mid 50's with a slight breeze....felt AWESOME...and no mosquitos!!!!
IMG_20230304_182012.jpg

We ate the meal as the french...salad last. was a good choice with the bold flavors on the plate. I am so glad I made a bunch of these duck patties....looking forward to doing this one again!
IMG_20230304_190444.jpg

So good! Top 5 meals I have cooked this year so far!!!

Last edited:
Very nice, Keith! I have never made cumberland sauce, but I can think of several things it would be good with...

Stellar work, and a great looking meal Keith! ...and that wine, VERY INTERESTING.

Great looking meal and write up. And yes sir it has been patio weather here in Mississippi also.

Jim

Solid looking meal and will need to try a Cumberland sauce!
Thanks Bmc! The Cumberland sauce is one of the classic sauces...dating back to 1860.
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cumberland-sauce

Very nice looking meal Keith. and a nice table setting outside , Bonus no bugs while eating

Your final picture says it all.

David
Thanks David, was a perfect evening meal. The weather was food for the soul!

Very nice, Keith! I have never made cumberland sauce, but I can think of several things it would be good with...
Thanks GS. Yep. One of the reasons it is still so popular...perfect balance with the ingredients of the sauce.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Dang Keith. That looks great! No outdoor cooking yet here. Had a storm roll through yesterday. About 5"of heart attack snow. My John Deere finally lost its virginity!
View attachment 659273

Doesn't look like much. But it would feel like shoveling cement it was so heavy.
Thanks Steve. Heart attack snow.....you can keep that! Reminds me of the wet snow we would get while living in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Stellar work, and a great looking meal Keith! ...and that wine, VERY INTERESTING.
Thanks schlotz. That wine was so smooth and velvety...yet bold. It stood up well to the flavors of the sauce and duck.

Looks awesome!
Thanks Yankee! Great think is the duck was ground through a 3mm plate both to tenderize and search/remove any shotgun pellets.....so no worries with your teef! LOL!!!

Beautiful meal! I’ve yet to try Duck breast. I definitely need to soon.
Thanks jcam. Originally, I thought it was little geese breasts in the bag, but after thawing and trimming I realized it was duck breasts. It was the 7 or 8 redhead ducks we got on the goose pond. While this meal would have been good with goose breasts, it really shines with duck...happy accident!

Great looking meal and write up. And yes sir it has been patio weather here in Mississippi also.

Jim
Thanks JLeonard. Shame we don't get more days like these....it'll be 95 before you know it!

Reactions: JLeonard
I took a bunch of pics. of the process making the duck patties and can post them along with the recipe if anyone is interested...

I took a bunch of pics. of the process making the duck patties and can post them along with the recipe if anyone is interested...
Dang that looks tasty Keith. I would like to see pics of how you crusted and cooked……I’m thinking of doing that for some moose steak I’m going to be getting again soon….

Reactions: KimberlyO
Dang that looks tasty Keith. I would like to see pics of how you crusted and cooked……I’m thinking of doing that for some moose steak I’m going to be getting again soon….
I'll post that up later tonight when it gets dark. Working in the yard today because it is so nice outside...75*F; 55%RH with a slight north breeze...perfect yard work weather.

Ok here ya go Civil...

First I made the demi-glace from homemade deer bone stock. Took 1qt. and reduced that down to 1 cup, added 1 TBPS. white butter roux and 1 tsp. tomato paste. Simmered that until cooked in and thickened. Then I added the zest of 1 orange and zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 tsp. cayenne and 1/4 tsp. black pepper (freshly ground), and 1 heaping tsp. cajun spicy mustard to the pan.
IMG_20230302_183329.jpg

Set that aside, pulled out another pan. Added dice shallot with a touch of butter and sauteed that for a few minutes, then added 1 cup ruby port wine along with the juice from half a lemon and half an orange.

When the wine an juice had reduced by roughly 1/2 volume, I poured that into the pan with the demi-glace. Then added the red currant jelly. Cooked that down. Only thing left was to adjust the salt and finish with butter (optional but the sauce is more savory with it), but I waited to do that right before serving the night I cooked the dish. I made the sauce ahead of time. I strained the sauce, but you don't have to.
IMG_20230302_183711.jpg

Now the duck patties...
1.5 cups sweet vidalia onion small dice, 3/4 cup celery fine dice, 3/4 cup red bell pepper fine dice, 3/8 fresh garlic minced, 3/4 cup fresh Italian parsley fine chop, 3/4 cup fresh green onion small slice.
IMG_20230302_193713.jpg

Put that in a 2 gallon pot over medium heat with 6-8 TBSPS. unsalted butter. Wilt the veggies 5 minutes to soften, remove from heat and cool.
IMG_20230302_194020.jpg

Duck breasts trimmed of all fat and tough tissue then ground through 3mm plate with grinder.
IMG_20230302_212803.jpg

Add the cooled veggies to the duck with 1.5% salt, 1 tsp. file powder, 1tsp. cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 cup brandy, 1.5 cups Italian bread crumbs.
IMG_20230302_213514.jpg

Mix until meat forms paste and will stay stuck together. Form 3oz. balls with all the mix.
IMG_20230302_214514.jpg

Form 3oz. balls with all the mix...
IMG_20230304_115213.jpg

Rechill the meat mix and reserve for later.

Now the Pecans...

This was for 40 patties. roughly 6# of duck meat; 9# of finished duck patty mix.....(40) 3oz. patties.

2# of chopped pecan pieces (don't need to buy whole pecans here) Run 1# through a coffee grinder or food processor a little at a time until a pecan flour is formed. If the pecans are a little damp and the flour clumps, put the pecan flour on a sheet pan in a 250*F oven for 30-45 minutes to dy out slightly to loosen and prevent clumping. Then combine the pecan pieces (1/8-1/4") with the pecan flour. This is for texture on the finished patties.

Make a simple egg wash:
1 cup whole milk
1 cup water
1 egg
whisk good, pour into a shallow bowl, I use a glass pyrex pie pan.

Put the pecan flour mix in a 9" cake pan.

Form the balls into 2.5" X 1/2" thick patties...
IMG_20230304_123101.jpg

You can season them more here if you want...I did not.

Batter the patties in the egg wash then into the pecan flour mix. shake off excess, be sure to coat the edges. Place on a slightly greased sheet pan to help prevent sticking.
IMG_20230304_125038.jpg

Fry in 50/50 olive oil/butter until pecans are just golden and center of patty is 160*F, remove to paper towels to drain for plating.
IMG_20230304_180339.jpg

Ok here ya go Civil...

First I made the demi-glace from homemade deer bone stock. Took 1qt. and reduced that down to 1 cup, added 1 TBPS. white butter roux and 1 tsp. tomato paste. Simmered that until cooked in and thickened. Then I added the zest of 1 orange and zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 tsp. cayenne and 1/4 tsp. black pepper (freshly ground), and 1 heaping tsp. cajun spicy mustard to the pan.
View attachment 659287

Set that aside, pulled out another pan. Added dice shallot with a touch of butter and sauteed that for a few minutes, then added 1 cup ruby port wine along with the juice from half a lemon and half an orange.

When the wine an juice had reduced by roughly 1/2 volume, I poured that into the pan with the demi-glace. Then added the red currant jelly. Cooked that down. Only thing left was to adjust the salt and finish with butter (optional but the sauce is more savory with it), but I waited to do that right before serving the night I cooked the dish. I made the sauce ahead of time. I strained the sauce, but you don't have to.
View attachment 659288

Now the duck patties...
1.5 cups sweet vidalia onion small dice, 3/4 cup celery fine dice, 3/4 cup red bell pepper fine dice, 3/8 fresh garlic minced, 3/4 cup fresh Italian parsley fine chop, 3/4 cup fresh green onion small slice.
View attachment 659289
Put that in a 2 gallon pot over medium heat with 6-8 TBSPS. unsalted butter. Wilt the veggies 5 minutes to soften, remove from heat and cool.
View attachment 659290

Duck breasts trimmed of all fat and tough tissue then ground through 3mm plate with grinder.
View attachment 659291
Add the cooled veggies to the duck with 1.5% salt, 1 tsp. file powder, 1tsp. cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 cup brandy, 1.5 cups Italian bread crumbs.
View attachment 659292
Mix until meat forms paste and will stay stuck together. Form 3oz. balls with all the mix.
View attachment 659293
Rechill the meat mix and reserve for later.

Now the Pecans...

This was for 40 patties. roughly 6# of duck meat; 9# of finished duck patty mix.....(40) 3oz. patties.

2# of chopped pecan pieces (don't need to buy whole pecans here) Run 1# through a coffee grinder or food processor a little at a time until a pecan flour is formed. If the pecans are a little damp and the flour clumps, put the pecan flour on a sheet pan in a 250*F oven for 30-45 minutes to dy out slightly to loosen and prevent clumping. Then combine the pecan pieces (1/8-1/4") with the pecan flour. This is for texture on the finished patties.

Make a simple egg wash:
1 cup whole milk
1 cup water
1 egg
whisk good, pour into a shallow bowl, I use a glass pyrex pie pan.

Put the pecan flour mix in a 9" cake pan.

Form the balls into 2.5" X 1/2" thick patties...
View attachment 659294

Make the patties...
View attachment 659295
You can season them more here if you want...I did not.

Batter the patties in the egg wash then into the pecan flour mix. shake off excess, be sure to coat the edges. Place on a slightly greased sheet pan to help prevent sticking.
View attachment 659296

Fry in 50/50 olive oil/butter until pecans are just golden and center of patty is 160*F, remove to paper towels to drain for plating.
View attachment 659298
Many thanks Keith! Now I understand the flavor profile, and holy smokes that is some top shelf stuff!

Reactions: indaswamp
Oh- if the pecan flour still clumps after drying in the oven, and you are not cooking gluten free for a guest, you can add 1-2TBSPS. of all purpose flour to the pecan flour to help loosen it up.

jcam222 jcam222 But if cooking gluten free you can sub more pecan flour and some Italian seasoning for the Italian bread crumbs in the meat patties....

Reactions: jcam222
Oh- if the pecan flour still clumps after drying in the oven, and you are not cooking gluten free for a guest, you can add 1-2TBSPS. of all purpose flour to the pecan flour to help loosen it up.

jcam222 jcam222 But if cooking gluten free you can sub more pecan flour and some Italian seasoning for the Italian bread crumbs in the meat patties....
I actually have a big bag of pecan flour too. Haven’t used it much yet

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.