Emilia Romagna Style Lasagna with Uncle Noon; Bresaola spinach and pear salad, and Culatello!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
This was a wine tasting turned dinner this past Saturday. Same Day I cut into my Culatello so duh! had to bring some to dinner!! We decided to pop open one of our Barolo wine bottles after 4 months of aging. That dictated the meal, and we chose lasagna. We basically use this Lasagna recipe...

it's the only one I have ever used. The one Mossimo makes is a carbon copy of our family lasagna...sans the wine.

First, we make the pasta dough..
IMG_20231104_142414.jpg

Pasta machine set up ready to go...
IMG_20231104_142404.jpg

While that rests for an hour, we start the Ragu..
IMG_20231104_142356.jpg

Once the ragu is simmering, we make the bechamel sauce...
IMG_20231104_151650.jpg

fresh shaved nutmeg a must! (and two cheeses...pecorino romano and parmesan)
IMG_20231104_151652.jpg

I did not get any pics. of the pan fresh out of the oven, but here is an after dinner shot...
IMG_20231104_184351.jpg

The Bresaola, spinach and pear salad with lemon and olive oil vinegrette and balsamic glaze...
IMG_20231104_171159.jpg

The Culatello...
IMG_20231104_120001.jpg

And the wines. I brought a Langhe Nebbiolo to compare to the wine we made. As I expected, our wine is more in line with the Langhe Nebbiolo. It does not have the power and force of a big Barolo. Still good wine though.
IMG_20231104_165824.jpg

IMG_20231104_165833.jpg

The Plate...
IMG_20231104_215758.jpg

IMG_20231104_215806.jpg

Fabulous meal all around!! What an awesome food day!

Nutmeg is traditional in northern European Lasagna. Most Americans are familiar with the Naples style Lasagna which uses ricotta cheese.

We used to make it ( in restaurant ) with the ricotta, I was never a big fan of it .
Don't get me wrong I would eat it and like it , just could do without. So I am more of a Mozza. cheese between the layers.
But the nutmeg is a flavour I enjoy , especially as just a hint in the background

David

We used to make it ( in restaurant ) with the ricotta, I was never a big fan of it .
Don't get me wrong I would eat it and like it , just could do without. So I am more of a Mozza. cheese between the layers.
But the nutmeg is a flavour I enjoy , especially as just a hint in the background

David
Interesting to note, there is no mozzarella cheese in Northern Italian Lasagna. Just Parmesan and occasionally you will see pecorino romano. I like both so add both.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
This was a wine tasting turned dinner this past Saturday. Same Day I cut into my Culatello so duh! had to bring some to dinner!! We decided to pop open one of our Barolo wine bottles after 4 months of aging. That dictated the meal, and we chose lasagna. We basically use this Lasagna recipe...

it's the only one I have ever used. The one Mossimo makes is a carbon copy of our family lasagna...sans the wine.

First, we make the pasta dough..
View attachment 680442

Pasta machine set up ready to go...
View attachment 680441

While that rests for an hour, we start the Ragu..
View attachment 680440

Once the ragu is simmering, we make the bechamel sauce...
View attachment 680443

fresh shaved nutmeg a must! (and two cheeses...pecorino romano and parmesan)
View attachment 680444

I did not get any pics. of the pan fresh out of the oven, but here is an after dinner shot...
View attachment 680448

The Bresaola, spinach and pear salad with lemon and olive oil vinegrette and balsamic glaze...
View attachment 680447

The Culatello...
View attachment 680439

And the wines. I brought a Langhe Nebbiolo to compare to the wine we made. As I expected, our wine is more in line with the Langhe Nebbiolo. It does not have the power and force of a big Barolo. Still good wine though.
View attachment 680445
View attachment 680446

The Plate...
View attachment 680449

View attachment 680450

Fabulous meal all around!! What an awesome food day!

YUM!!!
That meals is how we like to eat in or family as well.
I like the feeding try on your Atlas, what recipe did you use on the pasta?
Is it in the video? I haven't been able to watch it yet.
Thanks.
Dan

Down the Youtube rabbit hole I went after watching your video.
I kinda feel like most American men got ripped off after watching this video. LOL.

Mario Batali's basic pasta dough recipe:
for every 100g of flour, use 1 lg. egg

For lasagna, you will need 400g of flour and 4 eggs. If the dough gets a little too tight, you can add a dab of olive oil or water.
White AP or OO flour? I use 50/50, OO flour to semolina for all my pasta, it's how my Noni did it in the restaurant and at home. I've never added oil to pasta, I just use water because I dry store it for months at times, and I don't want the oil to go rancid. For fresh pasta I'll try a little oil next time to see if there is a difference.

Thank you.

White AP or OO flour? I use 50/50, OO flour to semolina for all my pasta, it's how my Noni did it in the restaurant and at home. I've never added oil to pasta, I just use water because I dry store it for months at times, and I don't want the oil to go rancid. For fresh pasta I'll try a little oil next time to see if there is a difference.

Thank you.
My brain wasn't working, I hope I didn't screw anyone's pasta up.
(It's hard to screw up pasta.)
We use 75% 00 flour and 25% fine ground semolina flour.

For about, four cup of flour, I don't measure, I go by texture. But to be safe, use 3 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks, sometimes 4 if the yokes are small. I try to buy fresh laid eggs from the 4-H kids that live down the street, it don't always work out though. If I can't get farm fresh, I buy the best Organic eggs I can buy at the local whole foods market, you can taste the difference between using great eggs or plain'ol store bought eggs for sure.

Sorry about that.
Dan

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky