Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natej

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Victoria, Australia
So after reading heaps of threads on here about pastrami.. the final straw was troutman troutman Reuben thread

This is the first pastrami ive ever smoked so i took the cheaters way out and went and bought some corned silverside from the grocery store, rubbed with coarse pepper, garlic, crushed mustard seeds, Corriander seed and granulated onion

Smoked at 275 on the stick burner till 150 internal temp.. sliced off some for dinner and into the fridge, going to slice up thin on the meat slicer tomorrow.

Absolutely wonderful! Next time I'll definitley be curing it myself

20180127_223848.jpg
20180128_175011.jpg
20180128_175450.jpg

20180128_175441.jpg

Nate That looks great,I have done it that way a few times and once with my own.Points
Richie

Very nice!
I do it both ways too, but when you make it from scratch you have a little more control over the flavor.
When you get a chance try one with an eye of round from scratch. They may even be better than brisket!
Al

would you say a corned beef takes a relatively similar time to get up to temp as a un-corned flat? I have a 4 pounder and I am trying to figure how warm/how much day I need. i am on a 14" WSM, so cold nights and early mornings make it a touch more challenging this time of year for an overnighter.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
would you say a corned beef takes a relatively similar time to get up to temp as a un-corned flat? I have a 4 pounder and I am trying to figure how warm/how much day I need. i am on a 14" WSM, so cold nights and early mornings make it a touch more challenging this time of year for an overnighter.

I would plan on 6-8 hours for the 4 lb. corned beef pastrami to heat to 200 in a slow smoker. You can smoke it a day in advance and finish it the next day on a rack above some steaming water , till it's poke test tender all over. That works good too.

Looks wonderful! I have one curing in the fridge now, smoking it this weekend. I see where you cooked it to 150 internal. Is that accurate? I had planned to bring mine to 200-203. Just curious, that's a beautiful Pastrami regardless!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky