Pastrami

Discussion in 'Beef' started by nepas, Apr 11, 2015.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Soaked a small corned beef in water for 8 hours, rinsed and drained the water every 2 hours to leach the salt. Patted dry and did a trim on it.

Rubbed with a simple pastrami rub, wrap and fridge for smoking tomorrow.

2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am watching. I love pastrami.

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

In MES @225, Apple smoke

4. smokinadam

smokinadam Smoking Fanatic

looks good nepas! Was your rub store bought like that or mix yourself? I have one in the freezer that I'm going to do pastrami with this Friday or Saturday.
    Happy smokin!

5. nepas

Made my own simple rub

3 T black pepper corns

3 T coriander seed

1 t paprika

Put the seeds in a mortar and smash em up some, add the paprika, mix well and apply to beef. Dont add any salt because the corned beef will still have salt content even after the soaking.

6. smokinadam

smokinadam Smoking Fanatic

Thanks! Now you would think one with a full cabinet of seasonings and spices would have coriander seeds but negative... good thing I'm not doing it today. Where you able to mortar peppercorns in your pestle?

7. nepas

Not very good as the pepper wanted to go all over, so i took out the spice grinder and pulsed em 2x.

8. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you grow cilantro, let it go to seed... the seeds are coriander....

9. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]

10. nepas

Stalled @ 143*

Amznps smoking with 0 problems.

11. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin awesome !

12. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Awwwwe... cheese & rice....lol

13. I'm in   [​IMG]

14. nepas

Pastrami is done smoking. Wrapping in foil at room temp for 2-3 hours. Then unwrap and re wrap in clear wrap, foil and in fridge overnight.

Next time i'm going to do a larger brisket flat with the same dry and added salt.

15. Nice   Looks Good

Gary

16. nepas

Pastrami has been wrapped and resting for 3 hours. Now clear wrap and fridge for slicing tomorrow.

17. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

Looking forward to the sliced pics...

What temp did you pull it at?

18. I'll be over for Sammie's 

19. nepas

Pulled it from smoker at an IT of 158, then wrapped.

20. dingo007

dingo007 Smoking Fanatic

Nice one!....That little pastrami would last a day at my house[​IMG]