Pan Seared Mangrove Snapper...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...or "grovies" as they are called, was on the menu. I had a chance to go offshore fishing with some buddies and we caught quite a few so after filleting them, I just had to cook some fresh and pan seared was it, so here we go...

First up was a mango/corn salsa that I put together a day ahead. Three ears of fresh corn, 2 ripe mangos cut into small cubes, ½ a red bell pepper chopped, 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced, 2 cloves of garlic finely diced, 1 lime zested and squeezed, a thick slice of red onion chopped, and half a can of pineapple tidbits in juice...
20230705_174338[1].jpg

I cut the corn off the cob and pan seared it with a good drizzle of EVOO for about 5 minutes or until tender, but not brown, stirring frequently. Removed from heat and allowed to cool while I got everything else ready...
20230705_175403[1].jpg

All the other ingredients were combined in a bowl. I added most of the juice from the can of pineapple, too. Once the corn had cooled, I added it in and the bowl was placed in the refrigerator over night. I did not add any seasoning...
20230705_181206[1].jpg

Now on to the main course. Three snapper fillets, a quart of shrimp, some heirloom cherry tomatoes from a friend, and some local peaches...
20230706_154245[1].jpg

The shrimp were peeled and skewered and the peaches were cut in half, all to be grilled. I brushed the shrimp with EVOO and seasoned lightly with J.O.'s #1. Got the grill hot and on they all went...
20230706_181729[1].jpg

20230706_181859[1].jpg

On a hot grill, this takes only a few minutes and I don't want to overcook the shrimp.

Now back in the house to get everything else ready. I cut the tomatoes in half and drizzled EVOO and balsamic vinegar on them. Placed on a sheet pan, lightly salted with course salt, and into a 400℉ for about 10 minutes or until softened...
20230706_184424[1].jpg

The fish was lightly seasoned with course salt and cracked black pepper. Pan seared in EVOO and butter until brown...
20230706_184326[1].jpg

To the pan drippings, I added about half a stick of butter and the juice from 1 lemon to make a sauce to go over the fish...
20230706_184321[1].jpg

Give thanks...
20230706_185657[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20230706_185616[1].jpg

This was really a delicious meal and all those here raved about it. I don't think there's anything I would change next time...

Awesome looking meal. I love mangrove snapper. Haven't had any since my last time in the keys... come to think about it that was probably 16-17 years ago.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I hope she put a double blessing on the hands that prepared that meal. 'Cause it is straight up Heaven sent. I am seriously thinking of doing some blackened fish on the griddle.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm not sure she realizes what goes into cooking any meal, but she knows when I don't cook because she'll ask why I didn't...🤣

Reactions: JLeonard
Awesome looking meal. I love mangrove snapper. Haven't had any since my last time in the keys... come to think about it that was probably 16-17 years ago.
Thanks, I appreciate that. The limit here is 20/person, but I told them no way we were keeping a hundred of them...

Fabulous! Congrats on the rotator ride. I especially like the the second to last picture. You guys are bringing her up right. Big like from Big Jake and I.

Wow now that's a mighty fine meal Charles and congrats on the ride!
Everything looks great and gotta try those tomatoes! Love getting the grands to help and start the mealtime blessings!

Keith

Ba da-da, da-da, da-da feeling Grovey!!!

Looks excellent Charles. Congrat on making it on the spinner.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky