Overnight Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't worry about the point temp. All that fat in the point makes it very forgiving. Points can easily go up to 215F before the flat probes tender.

Thank you, I had to double check which part was supposed to be probe tender since I used to go by temp alone (this forum has shown me the way when it comes to doneness)

Do you use your temp probe to check for tenderness or a toothpick? I feel like the temp probe could go through tougher meat easier than the toothpick and thus causing an underdone product. Or it could be I’m overthinking it, haha.

Good point Tom, that’s what I ended up using. I pulled it off right at 12hrs and wrapped in butcher paper. Gonna let it rest for a couple hours then I’ll slice and take some pics.
I think I figured out my problem on the previous attempts, patience. Now I know I can do the overnight cook if need be for parties in the future.

Honestly I feel overnight is the best. There is a part of the process where it's just waiting for things to get to the temp to do any thing, or start really checking. Might as well sleep through it!

Sliced it after resting about 3 hrs, flat had a nice smoke ring, passed the pull test and had great flavor, slightly on the dry side though. Point was super moist and tender, like whoa. Was a little nervous since it was a quick cook, but it turned out great!

Attachments

• B5D08B20-39DF-4400-8C86-28F546BEDDDE.jpeg
    B5D08B20-39DF-4400-8C86-28F546BEDDDE.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 5893B68A-3F2D-4BA1-BBFB-F9E1997667D5.jpeg
    5893B68A-3F2D-4BA1-BBFB-F9E1997667D5.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
  • E3E2DC65-F836-48D8-88DE-52D52395A438.jpeg
    E3E2DC65-F836-48D8-88DE-52D52395A438.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: TomKnollRFV
Sliced it after resting about 3 hrs, flat had a nice smoke ring, passed the pull test and had great flavor, slightly on the dry side though.

Practice, practice, practice......but the flat portion of the brisket is meat's orneriest practical joker. You can do EXACTLY the same thing next time, and it will turn out differently. If it didn't, the best competitors would win EVERY competition they entered. Count this brisket as a solid win!

Point was super moist and tender, like whoa

And that, my friend, is the brisket's apology for being so damn ornery!

Reactions: Mark Adams
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky