Overnight Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
About to put on a roughly 11# whole brisket (13# before trimming). Gonna stay up with it until it’s time to wrap with peach paper then I’m gonna let the propane do the rest. Plan to start probing for tenderness around 190 to be on the safe side, fingers crossed

Rubbed with S&P, ready for the OK Joe

Attachments

• 0FD6AC02-729B-4E7F-831F-74540ED5058C.jpeg
    0FD6AC02-729B-4E7F-831F-74540ED5058C.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 26
If what I just did is any evidence, you can probs start her at midnight, go to bed and wake up and check and she'll still not be ready for wrapping. <Assuming you can roll smoke/know the smoker will stay good the whole time>. I don't wrap though. You got a long night ahead I bet ;)

Coffee Pot brewing for ya Mark!

If only that were an option, haha. Gonna use charcoal and hickory to get a good bark and then switch to propane once I wrap. I turned my OK Joe into a hybrid stick burner/propane smoker a week ago and I’m looking forward to getting that help on long cooks, but the first half or so is still about babysitting the fire

This is why I'm rather glad I switched to electric amoungst other reasons. I don't think I could stay up that long any more!

I also don't trust my self to wake up due to an alarm of any kind either these days.

I’m gonna stay up as long as I can but if I start drifting off, I’m not too proud to switch the gas on and grab a couple z’s. I’d rather have an “under-smoked” piece of meat than one that sat out in dangerous temps and turned into an inedible mess

Reading about 127 after 3.5 hrs, smoker has been running around 250 pretty steady, with a couple highs and lows

Attachments

• BC5E9BCC-B62A-41A9-9797-122D0E47A329.jpeg
    BC5E9BCC-B62A-41A9-9797-122D0E47A329.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 20
I’m gonna stay up as long as I can but if I start drifting off, I’m not too proud to switch the gas on and grab a couple z’s. I’d rather have an “under-smoked” piece of meat than one that sat out in dangerous temps and turned into an inedible mess
No such luck for me. My OKJ only has one mode and that is manual. I’m about an hour and a half in on my brisket which is very similar to yours. I have to trust my alarm on my thermometer to wake me if I drift. Good luck Mark.

George

I threw away the instructions to my thermometer and I can’t figure out how to set the alarms, thankfully I haven’t needed them yet. Good luck to you as well George

Made it to daylight, got a nice bark forming over the point. The flat keeps catching the fat runoff from the point and hasn’t started to get a bark yet, has anyone else had this problem? I’ve been mopping that up and hitting the point with it to try and empty the “pool”
What’s a good remedy for this or is it just part of the brisket game?

Attachments

• 2614477B-D63D-4363-A988-D92F1DB39060.jpeg
    2614477B-D63D-4363-A988-D92F1DB39060.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: meatallica
No such luck , Foam. Search for instructions led to nothing. Went back to the amazon page and asked a question, hope to hear something back soon.

It’s a JinTop wireless digital meat thermometer, serial is B078N2PVBW. It was a good deal on amazon for my first one and it works great except for the alarm setting

Switched over to gas about 8:30 to help fight through the stall. Beginning to climb again, now at 180 after 9.5 hrs. Gonna start probing for tenderness at 190

Hit 190 in the flat so I went out to probe. Still a little resistance on the probe so I’m gonna let it ride. Looks like it will be done before 205 at this rate, except the point is already at 203. Gonna be patient with this one and let it go until it’s done.

Attachments

• B583E64D-460E-4506-A900-4137AF9DFFF3.jpeg
    B583E64D-460E-4506-A900-4137AF9DFFF3.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky