Onion Chili Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
We were having a bonspiel at our curling club. This means there was a lot of people coming in from out of town. We like to have a light lunch for our guests and volunteers bring in slow cookers of soup. My contribution this year was Onion Chili Soup.

My idea was to get the rich taste of chili in a soup as opposed to chili con carne. I decided to add more onion to kick up the flavour of a thinner chile. Also, I thought I could add some complexity by smoking ingredients with my Traeger Timberline.

I picked up a 1.5 kg (3 pound) boneless cross rib roast which is a piece of the chuck. I made up an injection of:

• 50 ml (1/4 cup) beef stock
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) soy sauce
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) Worcestershire sauce.
  • 3 ml (3/4 teaspoon) onion powder
  • 3 ml (3/4 teaspoon) garlic powder
I injected that every inch or so into the beef.

I sprinkled 5 ml (1 teaspoon) each of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder over the roast.

Onion Chili Soup 01.jpg

I cored and cut 5 medium tomatoes in half and put them skin side down in a roasting pan. I cut two medium onions into quarters and put them on a perforated grilling sheet with 4 stalks of celery.

I put the beef on a top rack over the tomatoes and put the onions and celery in the smoker.

Onion Chili Soup 02.jpg

I smoked the beef and vegetables at 250 F (120 C) for about 2 1/2 hours until the vegetables started to get some good smoke colour and the skins were loose on the tomatoes. I took the vegetables in and continued cooking the beef until it had a nice brown colour and the internal temperature was 140 F (60 C) , about another hour.

While the beef was continuing to cook, I diced the onion and celery and put them in a bowl.

Onion Chili Soup 03.jpg

I put the tomato halves in the bowl and pulled the skins off. Then I roughly crushed the tomatoes with my fingers. Set the vegetables aside.

Onion Chili Soup 04.jpg

When the beef reached an internal temperature of 140 F (60 C), I put it in a roasting pan with 125 ml (1/2 cup) of beef stock. I covered the pan with foil and put it in a 250 F (120 C) oven until the internal temperature of the beef was 203 F (95 C).

I could have continued in the smoker instead of using the oven but it was winter in the Canadian Rockies and quite cold. As the meat is covered by foil, no more smoke would be exposed to the meat so I decided to move indoors.

When the meat reached a temperature of 203 F (95 C), I took it out of the oven and let it rest under the foil for 2 hours.

Onion Chili Soup 05.jpg

I took the beef out of the pan and cut the string that tied the roast. I pulled the beef into shreds an cut the shreds to cubes. Defat the juices in the roasting pan and add them to the beef.

I put the beef and vegetables in a large pot with:

• 2 litres (2 quarts) beef stock
  • 1 litre (1 quart) water
  • 20 ml (4 teaspoons) chili powder
  • 3 ml (3/4 teaspoon) dried chili flakes
  • 2 – 156 ml (5.5 oz) cans tomato paste
  • 20 ml (4 teaspoons) beef stock powder (OXO for example)
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) soy sauce
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) honey
Onion Chili Soup 07.jpg

Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hour.

Add 540 ml (19 oz) of canned kidney beans that have been rinsed under cold water. Simmer for 1/2 hour more.

The soup is ready to serve but it makes a lot. I filled my slow cooker to take to the bonspiel and let the rest cool and froze it in serving size containers.

Onion Chili Soup 08.jpg

Onion Chili Soup 09.jpg

The Verdict

I loved this and from the way it disappeared at the bonspiel, I think many other did, too! It has a rich beefy taste like a French onion soup with smokey undertones. The chili and tomato flavours add to the great heartiness of the soup giving just a touch of heat but no burn. Dang. Now I need a bowl of this soup!

Disco

Attachments

• Onion Chili Soup 06.jpg
    Onion Chili Soup 06.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 14
Disco your like meals on wheels,great job taking care of the visitors. Big Likes
Richie

Looks and sounds like a tasty soup! Perfect soup weather here right now!

So Disco are you a lead, skip, mate?

Thanks, Case! I am a second but I am not curling my best. I just started using a stick this year!

looks delicous. I can go for a bowl of that today.

Thanks! Head on up, I'll make you some!

Looks and sounds fantastic! Man I’d love a bowl of that now. Just got done telling the wife we need to get some soup done.

Everything you post makes me hungry. Another winner for sure.

Disco, that soup looks delicious! Perfect for this time of the year. I got to make this because I’d know I would love it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky