Not your Texas chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
While doing the brisket and tri tip yesterday I threw on a 1.5 lb chub of ground beef. Let it soak in a little smoke til a IT of 165 degrees.
IMG_1366.jpeg
while the brisket was finishing out gathered chili supplies.I know a few of you Texans are wringing your hands and grinding your teeth and mumbling “that ain’t chili”. But this is Mississippi and not Texas. So…. Pppffffftttt!

IMG_1365.jpeg
crumbled the beef up into a crockpot with all the goodies above. Mixed it well and into the fridge for today. After pulling an overnight shift and feeding the ladies at work brisket and tri tip, came home this morning and set up the crock.
took a nap and @brokenhandle….what goes with soups, chili, and beans? That right…CORNBREAD! And with all the hatch Chile posts of late I found these at Kroger.
IMG_1369.jpeg
made up a small pan of cornbread with the chile and cheese.
IMG_1370.jpeg
Finished product. A little shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, and a wedge of cornbread. X 2 bowls. Now my belly is full and will be heading back to bed in a few.

Jim

Nice work, Jim. I'd tear up a couple bowls of that!

We have taken a liking to using stew meat instead of ground meat in chili, but I haven't tried smoking the meat first. I may give that a go when chili weather returns.

Reactions: JLeonard
Jim, the chili looks excellent!
But this yankee is curious... is instant cornbread allowed? :emoji_blush:
But you serve my bowl with cornbread and I'll definitely make it disappear! My wife likes her chili with a cinnamon roll, me, crackers and bread works fine!

Ryan

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle yes a mix allowed if your in a hurry. There will be no public shaming involved. Sometimes I will change it up and use fritos or crackers. But a cinnamon roll? Must be a Iowa thing.

Jim

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Brokenhandle Brokenhandle yes a mix allowed if your in a hurry. There will be no public shaming involved. Sometimes I will change it up and use fritos or crackers. But a cinnamon roll? Must be a Iowa thing.

Jim
Could be... when I was in school we often had chili feeds with cinnamon rolls on Friday nights before football games.

Ryan

Nothing wrong with box stuff in a crock pot from my perspective or having beans in it. The hatch green chilis is a very nice add. FYI you can also mix some of those chili’s in the corn break along with some jalapeño as well….I have eaten a lot of chili and corn bread like that in New Mexico!

Last edited:
Must be chili season somewhere with all these dishes popping up. Yours looks mighty good Jim.

Point for sure
Chris

Must be chili season somewhere with all these dishes popping up. Yours looks mighty good Jim.

Point for sure
Chris
I just had a craving.....Kept putting it off but finally gave in.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky