My Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gadgetman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Ever since I tried the over the top,I can't go back. I like it with beans,no apologies. Large chunks of hamburger and sausage,and thick. Mom use to say "it isn't chili unless you can stand a spoon in it,otherwise it's soup".
Eat a lot of it...
And then there's smoked queso,damn.

Attachments

• 20220116_180157.jpg
    20220116_180157.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220116_180729.jpg
    20220116_180729.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 76
Looks great gadgetman. A real belly warmer in this weather.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great and I always pay the next day after eating chili but its worth it!

For those that haven't had the opportunity to make over the top chili it's simple and straightforward. I won't claim to have the best recipe. Most will already have one. This method will make it better, IMO.
I make batches were 3 lbs. of hamburger make up about 1/2 the volume. Make one big pattie. I like chopped onions mixed in mine. Smoke at 225 until an IT of 140°,lettings the juices drip into the rest of the batch.

Screenshot_20221204-200408_Video Player.jpg

Then break it up into the size chunks you like,leave it on top to soak up even more smoke. I usually drop a probe into the batch now.

Screenshot_20221204-195834_Video Player.jpg

At 160°-165° stir it in,and crank the heat up to 300°. At this point I usually add 2/3 of a beer,because I'm already holding one and it needs thinned down at this point.
Bring to a simmer,and serve.
As I mentioned before,I like mine thick and chunky.

Screenshot_20221204-193901_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206-191248_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206-191248_Video Player.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 25
Im with Gadgetman, hooked recently on over the top chili. Even the wife won’t eat chili any other way. Gadgetmans recipe looks great. I used one from the cookin pellets website. Link below. Not as thick but hearty.

Love everything about your meal.

i always try if I have the time to break up my hamburger and spice it up then smoke it on a tray
before adding to chili or my pizza etc. Always try to do extra, if there is such a thing. And bag up and freeze for
some quick nachos or what ever.

David

Now I want some chili to pour over my nachos

Reactions: Gadgetman
Great timing, nothing better than over the top chili on a cold winter day. The recipe looks like a perfect match of smoke, beans (yeah we love 'em too!) onions etc. Nothing wrong with some beer in it either! 😋

Love everything about your meal.

i always try if I have the time to break up my hamburger and spice it up then smoke it on a tray
before adding to chili or my pizza etc. Always try to do extra, if there is such a thing. And bag up and freeze for
some quick nachos or what ever.

David

Now I want some chili to pour over my nachos
Going to being smoking up some queso for the game. Basically do the same thing with that. Really draws in the smoke.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky