Curing small items

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Culinary Otter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 1, 2024
Alberta, Canada
Probably a dumb question, but looking to cure some short ribs and looking for a shortcut.

I have 4 short ribs, and would like to dry cure them. I know the best method to do an EQ dry cure would be to weigh them each, and apply the cure to each.

To lessen the PITA factor, I'd like to weigh them all, remove the bone weight, make a cure rub and distribute it somewhat evenly, then vac seal.

There should be a factor of safety margin here, just wondering if I'd be blowing past that with this shortcut.

Yes beef. Already planning to slice out a bone to work on the calcs.
You can but I don’t think that’s necessary.

I’d run that at 60/40 meat to bone. It could be 50/50 but really depends on how meaty they are. I just wouldn’t get real exercised about it. Curing has a range and if you are thoughtful you will be safely in the safe range. Just use common sense and good judgement and you will be safe.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Went overboard. Removed the bones. Will save for future calculations.

Had my sous chef on board to check everything.

1000005781.jpg

How much meat did you leave between the bones. I think you were way too cautious. But Cary on I’m sure it will all be good.

Just me, but when I do short ribs ( see picture below, this is what we call short ribs )
I do not weigh out the bone as the ratio to meat is not enough for me to subtract.

And worked out fine for me . I love short ribs . It and OX tail my favorite beef with bone in it .

David

1708511023836.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky