No wrap ribs one more chance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have tried no wrap ribs couple times and not been happy with them. Been using St Louis. Last time cooked at 225. Sprayed every 30 minutes which I think was the problem cooling them off. After close to 7 hours was tired and hungry and just pulled. They where tough. Finished in pressure cooker next day and where good. They probably just needed another hour or so. Thing about foil is time pretty constant. Going to smoke at 250 this time and maybe spray once an hour. My Rec Tec seems to run about 25 hotter than the setting according to my InkBird. Last time I set at 200 for 225. My inkbird is calibrated. I have also checked with the RecTec food probes and same thing. I just going to go with what the Rec Tec says this time. I am checking at grate level and the Rec Tec probe several inches higher. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I’ve done BBs a lot unwrapped and they seem to take about 5.5-6 hrs at 225, so it wouldn’t be surprising to me if the spares would take closer to 6-7 unwrapped at 225. It doesn’t sound to me like you’re doing anything wrong, maybe just try starting a bit earlier?

EDIT: forgot to add I spritz every 60 min or so, you could try going more than 30 between spritz.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPG1
Like you said spraying every 30 minutes is a lot. That’s letting a lot of heat out. I stopped wrapping mine and St. Louis around 250 have still been around 5.5-6 hours. I don’t sprite or anything. Just leave the lid closed the whole time. Good luck and post some pics

Reactions: PPG1 and mcokevin
Might want to consider do a boiling water & ice bath test on the Ink Birds just to re-verify their calibration. I've been doing wrapless for many years now. Your choice on removing the membrane (I do). I lightly spray with canola oil, add salt (be careful on amount if they are noted as 'enhanced or moisturized' ie already contains salt) then apply the rub(s) and let sit for 15-30 min for the salt to start doing it's thing before putting in the smoker at 225º. Spritzing with apple juice begins at the end of the 2nd hour and then every 45 min going forward. Since every St. Louis rack can be different, I start testing for doneness close to 5 hour mark. Have had them get done anywhere from 5.5-6.5 hours.

Best test for doneness in order is:
- toothpick test: does it go into the meat very easily
- bend break: (hold just over a third of the rack with tongs, does the remaining portion bend significantly? A crack in the meat at the bend can also occur.
- looking for the meat to pull back off the end of the ribs approx 1/4 inch.

This process has never failed to yield tender with a clean bite results. However, the caveat to be aware of is that the rack itself can ultimately be the final deciding factor when is comes to flavor, taste and texture.

Last edited:
Might try bumping up to 275 to cut down on the time. If you can take the time and look up Aaron Franklin Ribs on YouTube - he runs at 275 for 2 hours then wraps for two hours - I enjoy the way that method comes out but as with everything we all have our own tastes

Reactions: jcam222
If I plan to not wrap I leave the membrane on, that will help keep moister in the meat better, A spritz doesn't hurt a pellet smoker as bad as other smokers because the heat is replaced pretty quickly imo. I also don't flip them, if I want FOB I remove membrane 2 -3 hours wrap another 1-1.5 then if I am wanting sauced I remove wrapper add it and give 15-30 minutes to set in . the thickness of the meat and temp your running at will be the difference in the different times,

Reactions: JLeonard and PPG1
I’m a convert to the no wrap. I like to run around 275F and I do like to spritz every 30-45 minutes. I just cook to temp around 190-195 / bend test them.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
When I got here 10 years ago, a lot of the Old-timers talked about, Every time you open the smoker, add 15 minutes to the Cook. If you Spritz, add 30...And don't forget the Famous line..." If you're Lookin' you ain't Cookin'! "...JJ

Might want to consider do a boiling water & ice bath test on the Ink Birds
I’m a convert to the no wrap. I like to run around 275F and I do like to spritz every 30-45 minutes. I just cook to temp around 190-195 / bend test them.

Just recently calibrated all my thermometers. When first got RecTec was right on the money. I cleaned probe and still runs about 25 off. No big deal I usually just adjust for it. Been mostly using the WSM lately but getting so hot out now just going with the pellet and chips in tube. Texas is preheating for summer.

Going to set at 250 which should get me 275 at grate. Might even just add a water pan and let go without opening for 4 hours.

I'm fully converted to no wrap, no spritz, and no thermometer. I now go by the looks of the ribs and the bend test. I smoke at 250-275* and have no idea on how long it takes to finish.

Chris

I think I’m with Chris...... for no wrap, I don’t think about it too much, I pull the membrane.....season them up and run the smoker at 250-275 BBQs for 4-4.5 and SR 5.5-6 both with a sauce glaze for 20-30 min after.....i usually don’t even open the smoker till 4 & 5.5 hours to bend test them....

Im not a spritzer fan at all.....like JJ said all it does is cool the meet and add time which will add to the drying out of the protein......each time you spritz it drops the surface temp to about 170 deg.... it has a mini ac affect......and it does not add moisture to the internal meat. It is only a bark or surface treatment technique that many folks use.

Im not a spritzer fan at all.....like JJ said all it does is cool the meet and add time which will add to the drying out of the protein......each time you spritz it drops the surface temp to about 170 deg.... it has a mini ac affect......and it does not add moisture to the internal meat. It is only a bark or surface treatment technique that many folks use.
I don't normally spray but for some reason decided to that time. Think was trying to get better smoke ring.

I'm fully converted to no wrap, no spritz, and no thermometer. I now go by the looks of the ribs and the bend test. I smoke at 250-275* and have no idea on how long it takes to finish.

Chris
Same here, I never wrap ribs and rarely spritz, never add a water pan and just cook them until they are done.
If they get done too early, I wrap them in plastic wrap and place them into a cooler covered with a towel to hold them until everyone is ready to eat.

I'm not sure why anyone would open their smoker every 30 minutes, that just doesn't make sense too me.
Spritzing doesn't really add moisture to the meat or help with moisture loss, it is basically adding color and whatever flavor you are spraying onto the meat. That being for those people that must spritz try doing it every 2 hours which is more than enough in my opinion.

I don't normally spray but for some reason decided to that time. Think was trying to get better smoke ring.

Spritzing will help with the smoke flavor on the bark, but I don't think it will help with moisture or the ring.

Chris

I am a no wrap guy also. Maybe spray once while ribs are on.
This may help Brian, it took care of the differences on my 590.

Reactions: Buckeye02
Well as you can tell there are as many ways to smoke ribs as there are members on here. I tried for years to perfect my ribs, & finally did it. You just have to keep trying different things until you come up with the ribs that YOU & YOUR FAMILY likes. Not what someone tells you that there way is the best way.
Al

It’s always fun to try things to see if you like it. If you want to spritz wait till after the stall has past and do it at the meat temp of 175 to 190 to get the increased flavor and soften the bark a bit. You will only need to spritz 2 times like this. Also add some butter to the spritz and get it hot.....above the meat temp. The butter will help add to the smoke flavor and color. The hot liquid will help reduce the the time loss....and with hot liquid you can just mop it......

If you want more smoke ring add heavier smoke up to the 150 deg meat temp......ie add a tube for the first couple of hours. No need to after that because moisture is leaving the meat (the stall) and stoping the ring....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky