• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Hello,
It's wonderful to be here at SMF. I was researching smokers and all of the awesome things I can smoke when I found this forum. I'm happy to be here and to have found so many people who are as excited about smoking as I am! I've enjoyed reading all of your posts.
Sometime ago, I realized I wasn't going to get the results I wanted without a smoker. A few months ago, I hit my breaking point. I baked a nice, prepared pork butt low and slow in my oven for, maybe, 12 hours. I dry brined it for two days. I added liquid smoke to the pan (don't hold it against me...). It came out with no more flavor than a glass of water! That's when I knew! After much contemplation, I got myself an MES 340G (Masterbuilt electric smoker). It's my first smoker, of any type. I'm looking forward to smoking everything that can possibly be good in there, all the wood-food combinations, all the techniques, and to sharing with and learning from all of you.

Thank you.

I'm using the smoker for the first time today. 3 racks of bb ribs, 2 - 5pd chickens, a tri tip, bacon wrapped jalapenos, and potato volcanos. Put the chickens and ribs in at 7am. Hoping to get it all done by 3. Wish me luck!

Welcome to you from the west side of Michigan. Glad you're here. Like Blue said so many things to find and try. The "I have to make that" list just gets longer and longer. Look forward to seeing the results of your efforts. Happy smoking!

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm fearing the worst right now. With 3 racks of ribs and 2 chickens smoking in there, I rubbed the top of one of the chickens with my finger and it tastes LIKE PLASTIC! Same with the other chicken. Maybe I've been using too much wood, filling it every hour. Maybe the wood is bad. I cured the smoker yesterday for 3 hours on high plus one hour with chips, and left the door open all night. The instruction manuel wanted 3 hours on high, including one hour with chips.

I've got company coming for the smoked meat and I don't know if it's going to be edible! I have a tri tip and some little things that I'm afraid to put in there now. I was not expecting this.

Last edited:
What kind of chips are you using and what temp are you running at?

I used half hickory, half applewood. Guess what? Everybody loved it! I thought it was ruined. I felt so bad. I even called ahead to warn my guests. To me, it tasted like melted Barbie dolls. THAT is how inexperienced I am, apparently. Maybe I don't like hickory?

I ate one of the ribs once someone with more experience reassured me that it was normal hickory flavor and I still can't get the taste out of my mouth. It's like, to me, this horrendous plastic taste is coating the whole inside of my mouth...lol.

Last edited:
I would guess that hickory is not for you. I also get turned off by to much smoke flavor. I prefer to us fruit woods or maple. To me it's a much milder flavor. West Michigan has an abundance of apple and maple so that's what we use. It could also be you spent to much time in the smoke. There was a whole thread on here about how after big smokes whether the person cooking did or did not want to eat. After small smokes I'm hungry. Big ones I'm just done and don't want anything to do with it. You might also have that going on. I'm glad your guests liked it. Sometimes that's just how it is. Don't get discouraged. Try try again.

Thanks. It's interesting to know these things. It was a real relief that everyone I was smoking for wasn't let down. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to the next smoke. Can't wait to try other types of wood.

I wonder if using a respirator or anti- smoke mask around the smoker during long, big smokes would help and make the final product more enjoyable for the cook. New experiment!

With the ribs yesterday, I tried one wrapped for two hours (2-2-1, which ended up being 2-3-1...lol) and two unwrapped the whole time. A blind taste test showed everyone prefered the wrapped. I actually wrapped them without putting anything in the foil with them. So, there's another experiment, foiled with or without adding things. Kept the ribs warm in the smoker for a couple hours too before eating and think maybe that was beneficial to the flavor and texture.

Last edited:
A little apple juice in the wrap is very nice. I will some times use a little beer. That's pretty great too. Not sure the respirator is the best option. I like to at least change out of my smokey clothes if not shower before we eat. Makes a big difference for your sense of smell.
Every smoke is a learning experience whether it's a success or a dismal failure. Don't let the failures discourage you. I ruined 3 briskets before I figured it out. Just remember to have fun and keep on trying. Never be afraid to ask questions. Keep us posted on your future smokes.

Jared

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Welcome from England!
I've been here around a month now and I'll warn you be careful it's addictive! ;)

P.S I haven't tried Hickory... Oak is plenty smoky enough for me and my taste buds.

Happy smoking
Charlotte :D

A little apple juice in the wrap is very nice. I will some times use a little beer. That's pretty great too. Not sure the respirator is the best option. I like to at least change out of my smokey clothes if not shower before we eat. Makes a big difference for your sense of smell.
Every smoke is a learning experience whether it's a success or a dismal failure. Don't let the failures discourage you. I ruined 3 briskets before I figured it out. Just remember to have fun and keep on trying. Never be afraid to ask questions. Keep us posted on your future smokes.

Jared
That makes sense. I did get and use dry shampoo in my hair which really neutralized the smoke smell. For me, stopping to wash and dry a long head of hair when I'm entertaining or running around getting things ready would be a pain, especially if I want it styled. Dry shampoo is a good temporary solution.

Welcome from England!
I've been here around a month now and I'll warn you be careful it's addictive! ;)

P.S I haven't tried Hickory... Oak is plenty smoky enough for me and my taste buds.

Happy smoking
Charlotte :D
Someone else recommended white oak too, but I'm going to go with a fruit wood next per oddegan's recommendation and see how that goes. I want to try and figure out how much to add during the smoke too. I'm wondering if I might have liked the Applewood/hickory combo if I had used less of it. I was filling the chip tray full every 45 minutes.

Kris don't feel you have to run smoke the whole time it's running. Quite often I will only run smoke fo 2 or 3 hours depending on what I'm smoking. It's a matter of personal preference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky