1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New to You from Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by BalticViking, Jun 7, 2019.

1. BalticViking

BalticViking Newbie

Hi everyone!

We are located in the heart of Portland ("Portlandia") Oregon. We've been university chaplains with a group called Chi Alpha (AoG) since 1989, based at Portland State University.

So, we stumbled onto a "free" Traeger pro smoker on Craigslist, picking it up for a friend last winter. It is in GREAT shape. Turns out he doesn't have room for it at his apartment complex, so we're breaking it in this week with a 17 pounds of pork butt. I don't know---- it 'may' have conveniently "disappeared" by the time he comes to claim it.

I'm also trying out EasyBBQ Bluetooth thermometers for the occasion-- 2 in the meat, 1-2 inside the smoker

The forum already helped me get ready to smoke, so thanks!

Cheers
    BalticViking

JC in GB likes this.
  2. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome from Middle TN. Great info on this site!

3. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Welcome! I hope the 17 pounds is 2 separate pork butts and not one by itself or you are going to have a hell of a time! Post some pics can’t wait to see the inaugural cook on the free smoker can’t beat that deal

4. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

BV, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and putting that free T to work.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

5. BalticViking

BalticViking Newbie

Thanks guys!

I will indeed post pics. Also if it turns out to be 1 big 17# chunk I'll be sure to divide it in half.

Take care
    BV

6. 2008RN

2008RN Smoke Blower

welcome from Sweet Home, Oregon. Just down the freeway a bit.