• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New to beef ribs - what's your favorite beef rib rub?

Danabw

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 29, 2020
I've got some beef ribs and wondering about what rub to use. I haven't smoked beef ribs before so this is new territory for me.

I've been using Jeff's Original and Texas Style rubs on some recent smokes and like both of them. I was wondering if I should lean towards the original "since they're ribs" vs. the Texas style. The original is going to make them sweeter (Texas style has no sugar), and just wondering if folks feel beef ribs are better more savory than sweet.

Thanks for your help!

Danabw

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 29, 2020
Thanks, that does sound like the right way to go. Looking forward to this...

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Like Chile, I don't like to overpower the Great Beef Flavor, so like I do with All Things Beef, I coat it with Lea & Perrins Bold Steak sauce to make the following stick; CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder. That's All.
Like this:
Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

Bear

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Beef ribs need a salt and pepper based rub...IMO. Jeffs TX is good, but the beef rub options are limitless. I like a coffee rub myself. but I have a half dozen other salt based beef rubs that are great too.

Last edited:

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I like Montreal steak seasoning on mine.
Al

mbassom

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 2, 2020
I like to not overpower the beef taste so I go for salt and pepper only.

Danabw

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 29, 2020
Thanks very much for the suggestions. My son made an executive decision last night and went w/Jeff's Texas style rub, which he liked on a smoke we did the other day. Took the ball out of a dithering father's hands and ran with it. ;-)

I've realized one thing - I'm not sure what IT to use to trigger wrapping. For pork ribs I use low 160's. Same for beef as well?

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I believe you want to cook these kinda like a brisket. Here is Jeffs write up I think i did mine to about 200 and then probed to verify doneness.

its been a bit since I made any...

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Jeff's Texas Rub was a complete game changer for me. Killer. That said, the first time I ran beef ribs I did a simple SPG overnight and smoked on oak and family said do NOT change ANYTHING. Also, learned a cool thing from Franklin's book, he likes a splash of Frank's his and I totally agree!

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 2, 2020
Meat church holy gospel, Bovine Bold, and Trager Saskatchewan are beef favorites of mine. I've started coating my beef in Worcestershire sauce prior to rubbing as well.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks very much for the suggestions. My son made an executive decision last night and went w/Jeff's Texas style rub, which he liked on a smoke we did the other day. Took the ball out of a dithering father's hands and ran with it. ;-)

I've realized one thing - I'm not sure what IT to use to trigger wrapping. For pork ribs I use low 160's. Same for beef as well?

I tried a few different Temps, but settled in at about 165° for foiling anything that I foil.

Bear

Danabw

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 29, 2020
Things ended up OK, using Jeff's Texas style rub. Don't have a great pic as we were starved when they were ready and dug in w/out thinking of beauty pic. :) They were/are excellent.

20200923_203542.jpg

Wrapping time, about 3 hours in:
20200924_141242.jpg

Total hours were about 6. Leftovers below...this pic was fresh from the fridge today (the day after) so there is a little congealed fat on them.
20200925_123100.jpg

Interestingly, our local grocery store appears to have a specific size styro tray they put beef ribs into, and the racks are longer often, so they cut off a bone's worth to make it fit. My son found two bones sold in a package, and the rack he brought home had a single bone beneath it that had clearly been cut off the rack.

We're going to be on the look out for the individual bones that pop up for sale...they were from the best end of the rack and were wonderful.

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.