Texas Style Beef Sausage and Ribs w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Wanted to try to make some fresh Texas Style Sausage.

Got 10lbs of course ground beef from a new store. Turns out it was fine ground that they ran thru a course plate. This messes things up later on.

Used salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic, and corn starch for a binder.

Mixed and stuffed

Screenshot_20231003_193846_Gallery.jpg

Cooking up with ribs 2 days later. Ribs were already foiled at this point.

Screenshot_20231003_193901_Gallery.jpg

Sausage done.

Screenshot_20231003_193912_Gallery.jpg

You can see the fat rendered out alot which is when I realized the beef wasn't course ground.

Here it is cut when I confirmed it was fine ground

Screenshot_20231003_193936_Gallery.jpg

Had very good flavor but isn't 100% there yet but consistency was like a meatloaf and not a good beef sausage.

Here are the 4 racks of ribs. Didn't sauce these. Just removed from the foil and let it setup.

Screenshot_20231003_193959_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Well hell that’s just crappy from a butcher. In the end though that looks great Brian. It all ate well I’m sure.

Wanted to try to make some fresh Texas Style Sausage.

Got 10lbs of course ground beef from a new store. Turns out it was fine ground that they ran thru a course plate. This messes things up later on.

Used salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic, and corn starch for a binder.

Mixed and stuffed

View attachment 677710

Cooking up with ribs 2 days later. Ribs were already foiled at this point.

View attachment 677709

Sausage done.

View attachment 677708

You can see the fat rendered out alot which is when I realized the beef wasn't course ground.

Here it is cut when I confirmed it was fine ground

View attachment 677707

Had very good flavor but isn't 100% there yet but consistency was like a meatloaf and not a good beef sausage.

Here are the 4 racks of ribs. Didn't sauce these. Just removed from the foil and let it setup.

View attachment 677706

Thanks for looking.
In my experience, if you didn't keep the ground meat below 35 throughout grinding and mixing, you get crumbles. Binders like High heat non fat dry milk do help and make sausage making a bit more forgiving.

It still looks absolutely outstanding man.

In my experience, if you didn't keep the ground meat below 35 throughout grinding and mixing, you get crumbles. Binders like High heat non fat dry milk do help and make sausage making a bit more forgiving.

It still looks absolutely outstanding man.
Normally I grind myself but I couldn't find my 10mm plate. Its here somewhere just haven't seen it since we moved so I didn't want to buy another one. After this experience it will be well worth buying it.

Ill post when I do it again with the results.

Reactions: indaswamp
Normally I grind myself but I couldn't find my 10mm plate. Its here somewhere just haven't seen it since we moved so I didn't want to buy another one. After this experience it will be well worth buying it.

Been there brother.

Great job in stuffing though!

I tend to use a 6mm plate for beef sausage and it works fine.
I think they ran this stuff thru a 3.5mm plate and that is why the consistency was what it was.

I have a watched a few videos on youtube one from Chud BBQ and he did a 10mm and I like the look of the texture when he was done. Ill try 10mm next time and if I don't like it ill go to 6mm.

The seasoning profile sounds like it'd make a great sausage. Clearly though, the texture was off but still, it should make for some pretty good eating. Very sorry to hear it wasn't up to expectations though.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky