First Time Smoked Dino Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
I wanted to smoke a couple of sides of beef back ribs, but couldn't find them at a couple of my meat sources. So, I opted for Dino (Plate) ribs which are from the front of the rib cage and are very meaty. I used Jeff's recipe for these as a guide, but varied a bit -- maple syrup as a binder and the Original rub instead of the Texas. Overnight in the frig and on the CC Woodwind at 11AM. Weather was in the 60s, cool for Southern California.

Smoking Area.jpg
After setting up the smoker for High Smoke, which on the CC means smoke at about 200F, and adding a smoke tube, the ribs went on.

Dino In Smoker.jpg
As you can see, the grate has legs add to it so the ribs sit a couple of inches above the pan bottom.

After 6 hours, the meat between the ribs reached 160F, and I set them in an aluminum pan with about a cup of beef broth, covered the pan and back on the smoker at 275F. Two more hours and the ribs were at 201F and then rested for 1 1/2 hours. Total time -- 9 1/2 hours.

Dino Finished_Rotated.jpg

Not knowing what to expect, it was good to see that it looked like Jeff's photo. As the chef, I took a sample which turned out to be very tender and tasty.

One bone per person was more than a portion, so the meat was stripped from the bone, cut into 1 1/2 inch medallions and served with Jeff's BBQ sauce. In addition, we had same-day-picked corn-on-the cob and air-fried breaded zucchini. For dessert, watermelon.

Dino Carved.jpg

This went into the frig and was consumed the next night. Thirty minutes in the oven with a splash of beef broth at 300F put it at the right temperature and it tasted just as good as the night before.

I've had more than 85 sessions on my CC since October of 2021, and have to admit that this smoke is one of the best.

As an aside, the CC app keeps track of each smoke on a minute-by-minute basis and connects my phone to the smoker via Bluetooth and wi-fi. I was running errands for 4 hours of the first part of the smoke but was able to keep track of both the box and meat temperatures.

Man that looks good! And sounds like you had a great meal with it. I use an aluminum pan a lot of times with a rack holding the protein also. Makes clean up a lot easier.

Jim

Nice way to pop your dino cherry. Those ribs look fantatic.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky