New Smoker please help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macshiomoin33

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hello I have a MES 130P i got for fathers day. Have done ok with first couple things I have smoked, a brisket and a whole chicken. I would like to use the top broiler/finisher function, but I cannot find anywhere that describes or helps with someone that doesn't know anything ha. My chicken came out great, moist, tender, and smokey. my proble is now is I want to crisp the skin, then I also want to crisp more of the future meats I am going to do like meatloaf, brisket, pork etc. haha. My question, does it turn off the bottom element, does it need to be on high or low, does it need right up as close to it i can get, how long does it take to crisp without burning, etc. I don't want to over cook my meat by doing something wrong by leaving it in a hot smoker under a broiler for another 15 or 20 min or whatever it will be. Any help in this avenue would be great. or if there are any other places to go specifically for this specific smoker etc. Thanks for all the info in advance

Welcome to the site happy to have ya join the fun. Sorry I can't help you out with your smoker, but I'm sure someone will soon.

Chris

I didn't even know the new MES smoker's had the top broiler function until I saw one at home depot the other day. Funny I was just asking Bearcarver Bearcarver about that after I saw it. I don't know but If I had to guess I would think it would turn off the bottom element and would use the broiler to finish off what you are smoking. Does the owners manual say anything about it?

Anyways congrats on the new smoker and welcome. Check out the AMNPS so you don't have to keep dumping chips every 30 minutes and also a external probe thermometer. Amazon has great deals on inkbird and thermopro's today. Both will really up your smoking game.

Reactions: macshiomoin33
I don't have that smoker but I googled it.Here is how to turn the broiler on.
snap.jpg
Richie

I didn't even know the new MES smoker's had the top broiler function until I saw one at home depot the other day. Funny I was just asking Bearcarver Bearcarver about that after I saw it. I don't know but If I had to guess I would think it would turn off the bottom element and would use the broiler to finish off what you are smoking. Does the owners manual say anything about it?

Anyways congrats on the new smoker and welcome. Check out the AMNPS so you don't have to keep dumping chips every 30 minutes and also a external probe thermometer. Amazon has great deals on inkbird and thermopro's today. Both will really up your smoking game.
yes I would like to look into AMNPS as i am seeing it more and more. I am literally 2 weeks into smoking. little overwhelming haha

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I think you will just have to experiment with it to acheive the results you are looking for.
For instance, smoke steaks to 120* IT and then sear under the broiler until you reach your desired doneness.

I thought the new MES with the Broiler also has it's own Smoke generator with a dedicated heating element???

Bear
There's an Mes 30 with top element and louvered ceiling and dual top vents and no rotisserie option, no independent chip/chunk element and settings at Home Depot for $300.00. The top element and rotisserie options chipi/chunk element are for the two on Amazon. I believe the loaded Mes 30 is $500.00 and the 40 is $700.00.

There's an Mes 30 with top element and louvered ceiling and dual top vents and no rotisserie option, no independent chip/chunk element and settings at Home Depot for $300.00. The top element and rotisserie options chipi/chunk element are for the two on Amazon. I believe the loaded Mes 30 is $500.00 and the 40 is $700.00.

OK---And the MES400 for $700 also has a separate element for the little wood burner on the bottom right, right??

Bear

I think pricing any MES at 700.00 is asking for problems. As many issues as we all have with them? At least we could always say "well, I don't mind making a few modifications, I don't have THAT much into it".

I think pricing any MES at 700.00 is asking for problems. As many issues as we all have with them? At least we could always say "well, I don't mind making a few modifications, I don't have THAT much into it".

Yup---It would scare me, because it has so many extras that could go wrong, above & beyond what we all have had.
+Broiler at top
+Rotisserie
+Dedicated Element for wood smoker
+Twin Top Vents
+Plus all the other Regular MES parts

Bear

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky