40” masterbuilt issue, NEED HELP PLEASE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Way back when, I removed the small cover plate that covers the connection to the element. Drilled a hole in the cover plate. Ran an extra power cord through the hole and connected the cord to the element. I now plug the other end of the cord into the Auber.

Doing this bypasses all of the smoker's original wiring. Here's a pic.......View attachment 681052
Have you had any issues with using a regular power cord directly to the heating element? Especially since it’s not hi temp wire/insulation? Any other things that is a negative to you going this route, now that you have set it up this way and used it I assume?

Any other things that is a negative to you going this route, now that you have set it up this way and used it I assume?
The only issue when wiring directly to the element is that the safety cutoff switch is out of the loop. The MES isn't designed for temps above 275,if you don't set the PID above that you won't have a problem but for me personally I like the idea of having it in play just in case something goes wrong.

Have you had any issues with using a regular power cord directly to the heating element? Especially since it’s not hi temp wire/insulation? Any other things that is a negative to you going this route, now that you have set it up this way and used it I assume?
Depending on ones definition of "regular power cord", I will say that I only use a heavy 14 gauge cord just like the one that Masterbuilt uses. I have had zero issues during the past 7 years of running it since the mod was completed. And also since this smoker is dedicated for fish so the highest temp run is 160'.

Yes a gfci

so you don’t think building a PID controller yourself that went straight to the heating element would be better? What do you gain by making the wire configuration of the original wire set up on the smoker and then plugging the original power cord into the auber. Just weighing out the options and trying to do what will be best.
Yep the guys basically covered it.

The guys nailed it. Building a PID controller and wiring it directly eliminates the ability to remove it which is handy to keep it out of the weather or to use it on multiple devices. I think some guys do SV and Crock pot stuff with the controllers.

Also, the rewire to use the MES and using it's cord means you don't have to buy a cord or do any cutting/fabricating etc. Just nice and easy to reuse the MES plug as is with minimal effort.

Also as was mentioned, I use a 14AWG extension cord at 25ft to go from wall to my MES plug. That would have no issue at all.

Keep the questions coming and congrats on getting the wifi auber unit! You will love how it works out!

Generation doesn't really matter.

This is the controller you want:
thanks for the link. Not sure what I’d use it for but figure it would be handy to have around. Got one headed my way.

thanks for the link. Not sure what I’d use it for but figure it would be handy to have around. Got one headed my way.
IMG_6952.jpeg
came in. Now to get it set up to use.

MES 40 died before the holidays and I was thinking of going this route.
Dan , turns it into a sausage / bacon / ham smoking machine .
Why don't you start a thread on what happen or what you think is wrong , and go from there .

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky