NEW! last weeks pulled pork w/ modded ECB Qview!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by fathomthis, Sep 24, 2010.

1. fathomthis

fathomthis Fire Starter

Thursday night root beer marinade, friday night rub rest and saturday morning SMOKE!

I work in a sheet metal shop so i found some thin thin aluminum and made the vents using the pattern i found online and pulled some 1/4" aluminum for the legs. (didnt even know we had this stuff!)  

Also added bolts for a raised grate in the business area for the coals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added a vent on the hood and temp gauge there too. After 3 days of searching local stores for the right thermometer i found one that would atleast work and then next day after installing it i found the one i wanted =-\ fail

[​IMG]

Taste testing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

notice the juices just before i pulled it that was after sitting for 1.5 hours wrapped in towels.

2. roccoman

roccoman Newbie

i tried licking my screen but the flavor just didnt come thru [​IMG]  that looks absolutely KILLER!!

my buddy is smoking a small boston butt (about 4lbs) tomorrow and called me for some advice - he's using a chargrill horizontal (no firebox) with no mods (we are both new to this) but he is good a keeping temp so i can only hope it comes out as tender & juicy as this one

i am seriously drooling looking at this!

3. NICE. I'm seriously drooling right now. I have my first butt ever on the smoker as I type. I cant wait to tear in to it.... man that looks good.

4. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great

5. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

The mods look great and so does that qview - nice job

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Really looks Great Fathom!

Where did you get the root beer to the left of Sparky's?

Seems they named it after one of my Ft Bragg Drill Sgts.

Bear

7. smoke_chef

smoke_chef Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

great mods.... great looking grub!

8. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

As I have said in the past, never underestimate the great Q that can come from an ECB. Congrats on the mods, and thanks for sharing some mouth watering Q View. It's all good my friend,.

9. fathomthis

fathomthis Fire Starter

All my root beers came from Bevmo and rat bastards is the one i used. Its one of my favorites from that place.

10. fathomthis

fathomthis Fire Starter

Oh and the bottle on the right was actually an apple beer soda, not a root beer. Next time i think ill try that.

11. smokeybud

smokeybud Newbie

Great looking setup and grub!  Tasty beers to go along with, man now thats a "man day" for ya!

12. chadpole

chadpole Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

This looks very good. I love the mods you did. You are a talented person that we can learn from. I never thought of using Rootbeer on my "Butts". I will have to try this. I have one suggestion that you might try. Instead of putting the thermometer in the lid,drill a hole  about 1/2 inch below the cooking grate for the most accurate readings. You would be surprized how much temp difference from the top to the middle can be. Just my 2 cents. You did a great job.

13. fathomthis

fathomthis Fire Starter

I got one of those large gourmet gauges from BBQ galore and thats exactly where its going. just need to bring the body into the shop and i can work on it.  Also thinking about adding a third grate in the middle somewhere.