NEW! last weeks pulled pork w/ modded ECB Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fathomthis

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Thursday night root beer marinade, friday night rub rest and saturday morning SMOKE!

I work in a sheet metal shop so i found some thin thin aluminum and made the vents using the pattern i found online and pulled some 1/4" aluminum for the legs. (didnt even know we had this stuff!)  

Also added bolts for a raised grate in the business area for the coals.

92f3a4c6_037.jpg

ab9b0a78_038.jpg

I also added a vent on the hood and temp gauge there too. After 3 days of searching local stores for the right thermometer i found one that would atleast work and then next day after installing it i found the one i wanted =-\ fail

df99695b_051.jpg

Taste testing!

de00a5c6_044.jpg

5dbe805c_048.jpg

efb3b5dd_049.jpg

53806ecf_050.jpg

76f50c2b_001.jpg

9cb4cc1b_002.jpg

1462d2cc_003.jpg

a91f83ab_004.jpg

notice the juices just before i pulled it that was after sitting for 1.5 hours wrapped in towels.

i tried licking my screen but the flavor just didnt come thru 
wink.gif
 that looks absolutely KILLER!!

my buddy is smoking a small boston butt (about 4lbs) tomorrow and called me for some advice - he's using a chargrill horizontal (no firebox) with no mods (we are both new to this) but he is good a keeping temp so i can only hope it comes out as tender & juicy as this one

i am seriously drooling looking at this!

NICE. I'm seriously drooling right now. I have my first butt ever on the smoker as I type. I cant wait to tear in to it.... man that looks good.

The mods look great and so does that qview - nice job

Really looks Great Fathom!

Where did you get the root beer to the left of Sparky's?

Seems they named it after one of my Ft Bragg Drill Sgts.

Bear

As I have said in the past, never underestimate the great Q that can come from an ECB. Congrats on the mods, and thanks for sharing some mouth watering Q View. It's all good my friend,.

All my root beers came from Bevmo and rat bastards is the one i used. Its one of my favorites from that place.

Oh and the bottle on the right was actually an apple beer soda, not a root beer. Next time i think ill try that.

This looks very good. I love the mods you did. You are a talented person that we can learn from. I never thought of using Rootbeer on my "Butts". I will have to try this. I have one suggestion that you might try. Instead of putting the thermometer in the lid,drill a hole  about 1/2 inch below the cooking grate for the most accurate readings. You would be surprized how much temp difference from the top to the middle can be. Just my 2 cents. You did a great job.

I got one of those large gourmet gauges from BBQ galore and thats exactly where its going. just need to bring the body into the shop and i can work on it.  Also thinking about adding a third grate in the middle somewhere.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky